leaky FJ60 gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few ways to go about this:

1. Listen to what I am saying: Take your LC to the dealership and tell them it has a gas tank recall, all the parts are available, and to have them do it. Insist on it. I can send you a parts list so you can take it with you and say that the parts are available.

2. Call Toyota corporate again and waste your time.

3. Sell your Land Cruiser and buy a Highlander.

For everyone's benefit, these are the part numbers that you need to get the FJ60 gas tank replacement done.

Since the kit is discontinued, the individual pieces of the kit are available still from Toyota. They are obligated to order every single little piece at no cost to you and fulfill the recall. Personally, I would also have them replace the fuel sender (at your cost) as well while you are in there. Peace of mind.

Fuel Tank: 77001-60241 Q=1

Part No. Part Name Q’ty.
77169-14020 Gasket, Fuel Suction Tube Set: 1
83361-20030 Gasket, Fuel Sender Gage: 1
77213-60030 Hose, Fuel Tank Inlet: 1
77249-60040 Hose, Fuel Emission: 1
77249-60050 Hose, Fuel Emission: 1
90445-22904 Hose, Fuel Tank Breather: 1
95333-06040 Hose, Fuel: 1
95332-10040 Hose, Fuel: 1
96132-30600 Clip, Hose: 8
90467-20134 Clip, Hose: 2
96132-31000 Clip, Hose: 2
96111-10630 Clamp, Hose: 2
94183-00800 Nut Lock (for Rear Stabilizer Bracket): 4
77250-60050 Hose, Fuel Return: 1
77260-60060 Hose, Fuel Main: 1
95333-06030 Hose, Fuel Return: 1
96132-51300 Clip, Hose: 2

Fuel sender: 83320-69015 (I stock this part)

Hope this helps.
-onur

Thank you so much Onur!
Am i understanding correctly from your signature that you work at a Toyota dealership? Would you mind if i site you as a source if they give me the run around about the parts at the dealership? I have an appointment with them monday morning...

it is incredible that someone from Toyota HQ would tell me that they checked the "national database" for parts and that it is not available. I even mentioned that i saw people getting the recall done as recently as last month on forums and the guy told me" well we just ran out."

Parts availability moves quickly and without notice for vehicles that are fast approaching or have past 30 years old.

Asking Toyota corporate about 77001-60241 or a recall that is 20+ years old is tough to do. They just don't want to deal with it in all honesty. It is more cost effective paying you $2k for your truck and get you in the a $45k 4Runner. :rolleyes:

77001-60241 is available. I have one in my warehouse and 2 at my depot.

Also, all of the parts for the recall are still available as well.

Regards.
-onur

I'm having the same problems and have called two separate dealers and and can't get an answer out of them one way or another. All I get is "We will look into this and call you back". Haven't been called yet.

Is there a way to get this done? I have found the recall info on-line, with procedures on how to change the tank, but don't have the notice that should have been mailed to me.

Thanks

For everyone's benefit, these are the part numbers that you need to get the FJ60 gas tank replacement done.

Since the kit is discontinued, the individual pieces of the kit are available still from Toyota. They are obligated to order every single little piece at no cost to you and fulfill the recall. Personally, I would also have them replace the fuel sender (at your cost) as well while you are in there. Peace of mind.

Fuel Tank: 77001-60241 Q=1

Part No. Part Name Q’ty.
77169-14020 Gasket, Fuel Suction Tube Set: 1
83361-20030 Gasket, Fuel Sender Gage: 1
77213-60030 Hose, Fuel Tank Inlet: 1
77249-60040 Hose, Fuel Emission: 1
77249-60050 Hose, Fuel Emission: 1
90445-22904 Hose, Fuel Tank Breather: 1
95333-06040 Hose, Fuel: 1
95332-10040 Hose, Fuel: 1
96132-30600 Clip, Hose: 8
90467-20134 Clip, Hose: 2
96132-31000 Clip, Hose: 2
96111-10630 Clamp, Hose: 2
94183-00800 Nut Lock (for Rear Stabilizer Bracket): 4
77250-60050 Hose, Fuel Return: 1
77260-60060 Hose, Fuel Main: 1
95333-06030 Hose, Fuel Return: 1
96132-51300 Clip, Hose: 2

Fuel sender: 83320-69015 (I stock this part)

Hope this helps.
-onur
what do you think apprx is a reasonable fee that the dealership should charge for getting the fuel sender replaced? I want to make sure that they don't try to overcharge me out of chagrin for having to do the recall that they clearly are reluctant to do.
thanks

Thank you so much Onur!
Am i understanding correctly from your signature that you work at a Toyota dealership? Would you mind if i site you as a source if they give me the run around about the parts at the dealership? I have an appointment with them monday morning...

it is incredible that someone from Toyota HQ would tell me that they checked the "national database" for parts and that it is not available. I even mentioned that i saw people getting the recall done as recently as last month on forums and the guy told me" well we just ran out."

Unfortunately, I would not want you to invoke my name. You can say "a Toyota parts person confirmed that the parts are available. And I will make the job even easier for your parts department and give them the part numbers they need to do the work."

Not sure if you read what I wrote above: Why should Toyota enable keeping a 30 year old vehicle on the road when they can get you into a new one?

Just think about the economics of it.

Also, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, is not Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan. They are two very distinct companies.

what do you think apprx is a reasonable fee that the dealership should charge for getting the fuel sender replaced? I want to make sure that they don't try to overcharge me out of chagrin for having to do the recall that they clearly are reluctant to do.
thanks

$150-170 or so.

I'm having the same problems and have called two separate dealers and and can't get an answer out of them one way or another. All I get is "We will look into this and call you back". Haven't been called yet.

Is there a way to get this done? I have found the recall info on-line, with procedures on how to change the tank, but don't have the notice that should have been mailed to me.

Thanks

Do you know for a fact that it hasn't been done yet? Send me your VIN and I can check it for you when I get back to work on Monday.

Difference noted. And yes, I do understand why they are not going out of there way to keep an old vehicle on the road.
I really appreciate your help and will not mention you personally.
I will update on Monday after I have gone to dealership.

Or, just bite da bullet, put in a 40-gal Long Range tank, spend $175 to fill it up, drive. Be happy, until your next fill-up.:eek:

Friends, Romans, Countrymen:

I am happy to report that i went into the toyota dealership today ready to go to war, and after a few run-arounds about part availability i was able to get them to order all the parts and start the job. New gas tank install and rear seat belt done on wednesday! paid out of pocket for new fuel sender. $161
They even gave me a ride back home in their shuttle!
Success!

Thank Onur for all your help!

my advice to anyone else trying to get this done is this: go in prepared, be polite but firm. I already had a claim # from toyota corporate and informed then that i was aware that all the individual parts were still available and handed them the complete list. I even called the parts department anonmously beforehand and tried to order the gas tank, which they were able to have delivered the next day. So when the service consultant told me that the tank was not available i just said, "oh, well that is interesting since Johnny in the parts dept. already confirmed for me that he could order it and have it tomorrow." their response: "ok, let me talk to my manager." when they came back, all resistance was gone and they ordered all the parts.
Morale of the story: Don't let anyone give you bs in this life!

I recently bought a 1985 FJ60, was told about the warranty issues. I called my local dealer and they said my VIN didn't come up at all. I assured them the vin # was correct, which it is. They said they would look into it and get back to me. They called back in about 10 mins, said they found the vin on another database and that both recalls had been done. The problem is my rear seat belts do not function properly and look 30 years old. I also have a gas tank that leaks like crazy when I fill it up, and a cruiser that smells like a fuel farm. I didn't trust the dealer when they said it had been done, so I tried to research recalls on my cruiser, on the main toyota sight, it says that my vin is incorrect or not valid. Anyone else have any issues with this? The vin is correct, I was able to get a vehicle history for it and register it. The vin is . Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if when they do this recall work and also the replace fuel sender they will test the fuel pump/know if it needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance to anyone offering help!

I recently bought a 1985 FJ60, was told about the warranty issues. I called my local dealer and they said my VIN didn't come up at all. I assured them the vin # was correct, which it is. They said they would look into it and get back to me. They called back in about 10 mins, said they found the vin on another database and that both recalls had been done. The problem is my rear seat belts do not function properly and look 30 years old. I also have a gas tank that leaks like crazy when I fill it up, and a cruiser that smells like a fuel farm. I didn't trust the dealer when they said it had been done, so I tried to research recalls on my cruiser, on the main toyota sight, it says that my vin is incorrect or not valid. Anyone else have any issues with this? The vin is correct, I was able to get a vehicle history for it and register it. The vin is . Any suggestions?

First off, take off your VIN from a public site.

:)

Secondly, your gas tank was replace on 3/16/1992 by Tempe Toyota.

Ok thanks Ozur. Do you think it is a good idea to replace that as well while they are in there? I recently developed a problem where if the gas tank was at a 1/8 the car would not cold start. Its starts right up for a second or two and then just cranks but wont turn over. But if I put half a gallon more gas in it would start. Once running I never lose power when I accelerate so not sure if that is the fuel pump or sender.

First off, take off your VIN from a public site.

:)Thank you! I took off the rear passenger side interior panel and discovered that the rear quarter panel was full of fuel, at least an inch deep. When I filled it up I saw drips coming from the rear passenger side. When I investigated I could see fuel actively leaking from the fuel door. When I opened it up, fuel was leaking out of the filler neck past the cap. I took the cap off and fuel was all the way up the neck, past the circular fuel valve that you insert the nozzle in. I'm pretty sure the fuel I found in the quarter panel was just left over from this leakage. Would the cap alone cause this much pressure to build up and flow out. It appears to be a new cap, not sure if it is oem. All the tubing and the neck itself appear to be in good condition, and there is no active leak right now. Thoughts?

Secondly, your gas tank was replace on 3/16/1992 by Tempe Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom