Leaking rear diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CandyPants

K9CRZ
SILVER Star
Threads
I am not a mechanic, let me say that first.

Second let me say that my #$%$# rear diff is leaking! Not a lot, just kind of a slow ooze (very slow). I noticed it last night while I was taking off the sliders to paint the new tube I added. There was a patch of grease near the bottom of the diff around the gasket. I cleaned it off really well with alcohol so it was not greasy at all. I just went out and checked it and it's slick. There is no visible grease and it's not leaking out onto the ground.

I have wheeled my FJC a couple of times where I hit the diff, you can see the scuff, but NOTHING that should cause the diff to leak.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Do you think this is a warranty repair? I can't see how toyota would make a truck for offroad use that would have a leaking diff after the 4th time it's offroad!

k9crazy said:
I am not a mechanic, let me say that first.

Second let me say that my #$%$# rear diff is leaking! Not a lot, just kind of a slow ooze (very slow). I noticed it last night while I was taking off the sliders to paint the new tube I added. There was a patch of grease near the bottom of the diff around the gasket. I cleaned it off really well with alcohol so it was not greasy at all. I just went out and checked it and it's slick. There is no visible grease and it's not leaking out onto the ground.

I have wheeled my FJC a couple of times where I hit the diff, you can see the scuff, but NOTHING that should cause the diff to leak.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Do you think this is a warranty repair? I can't see how toyota would make a truck for offroad use that would have a leaking diff after the 4th time it's offroad!

You might want to check with "cruiserlarry" at "fjcruiser.cc" . He is pretty good with the FJC and he has one.

Check and make sure the drain plug is tight, it's very common to hit it on rocks and for the rocks to unscrew it, I've seen more than one on the trail that lost the drain plug completely. Otherwise, as long as it shows no sign of abuse and it's the gasket that is leaking, yes it should be covered under warranty.

Also might want to look into a low profile drain plug, Marlin sells them, they use a hex key and are rounded and lower profile to help reduce the chance of a rock snaging it and undoing them. I replaced mine with one, then took the factory one (has a magnet) and replaced my xfer case drain with it, and tossed the facotry xfercase one (no magnet) into the trail spares bag.

From what you've written it isn't clear how far gravity is carrying the grease or oil.

How much of the diff housing did you clean? I suggest you degrease the entire diff and locker with something strong like Greased Lightning, top and bottom. Wipe it dry with paper towels.

Let it sit overnight, then get under there with a bright light and follow the oily path. A little flour might help ;p Driving it will blow the oil all over, making this impossible to track.

My pickup developed a leak at the pinion due to a light front-end hit. The driveshaft slammed forward, loosening the gasket.

Hope this helps.

hmm, the drain plug is a good comment. I have had those back out as well now that I read this...may want to check that next time I am over, I have my tool bag in the truck.

It is definately leaking from the point where the front housing meets the back housing (I don't know if those are the right terms...but you get the point). I did this little visual aid to try to explain.

I'll try the flour trick to see if it's leaking higher up and running down the joint to the bottom. Regardless, it's a pretty slow leak as it took a full 12 hours to even get slightly greasy.

Does this help explain it? If not, I'll do the flour thing tomorrow and try to take a picture of what it does.

Since it's not blowing grease all over, I will work on diagnosing where it's coming from before I head into the dealership for service.

Thanks so much everyone for your help!
rear diff.JPG

Heather,
I would take it to the dealer and get the seal replaced under warranty. Maybe the bolts need torquing as well, but if the oil has already seeped thru... might as well get it replaced.
Not sure if it is a gasket there or FIPG but in anycase, have them look at it.

Fix your leak

I use Ultra Black by Permatex when I rebuild any trany or diff (over 500 in the last 5 years). It is the best sealing agent I have found. Just pull off the diff cover, clean the cover and diff assembly with brake clean,then apply Ultra Black, onto the cover only, and bolt the cover back on. This should fix your leak. When pulling off the cover leave the top bolt in 3 turns, this helps keep the oil off you when the cover releases.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom