LC10 front drive shaft (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen!
I few days ago, laying under my car (´98 HDJ100, ATM, independet front axles, 250.000km) and touching some parts, I´ve noticed what to me seems a relative big play (slack? What´s the correct english word?) between the inner RH driveshaft´s joint and it´s seat in the front diff. I try to explain: There is no radial play, and also no axial. But the whole joint can be angled to some degrees by hand in it´s seat in the diff case. There is no loss of differential oil, everything is dry. Also there is no strange noise nor any other sign of failure. The joint on the left side, which seats in the itermediate tub, doesn´t have this play.

I´ve found this condition just by touching; so maybe this is ok so (I surely touched this joints several times in the last 20 years, but I don´t remeber (age plays tribute) I I´ve ever noticied the same play, or if this is new and need some attention.

Would greatly apreciate your input.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure in which direction the play is. If the u joints are proper and no play, I think you might mean the slip yoke?
perhaps a picture helps to understand in which way the driveshaft moves and where exactly.

GerLC100: You are totally right, it is difficult to understand from my description what I refer to. So I made a poor man´s drawing, based on a drawing I found in the Toyota´s Vehicle Description for LC10. I marked in red color the angling play I noticed.
As I understand the driveshaft´s seat in the front diff, the only thing that can cause a "angling play" as the one that I have seen, is a worn/corrupted roller bearing in the diff. But I think that this would also cause linear and axial play, and also make some noise.

Sorry for inserting the large size image, I don´t know how to put a thumbnail :(

As reported, I didn´t noticed any failure; just felt this angling play as touching and movin the drive shaft´s inner joint.

play.jpg

If play, is where center axle of FDS (front drive shaft), goes into inboard CV tulip. This is where ball bearings are inside CV connecting center axle. Which would indicated FDS needs replacing. Typically, this failed FDS, click during turns.

Inboard CV is inner race of FDS

IMG_0421.JPEG

Boot front drive shaft.JPG

Maybe I expressed it not good enough:
The play is not between driveshaft´s shaft and the inboard joint. This is everything fine. The inboard joint has "angling play" in it´s seat in the front diff. Let´s say it this way: If I grab the innner joint by hand and try to move it; I can feel that this joint is "angling" (swiveling? what´s the name for this?) in it´s seat in the diff.
If I grab the the driveshaft, I can´t feel any play between itselft and the joint.

Which would mean you have play in the diff in the red marked spots, right?

1710343530084.png

Perhaps making a video would be helpful.

If FDS seated with proper gap. Which is when FDS aluminum dust shield is seen just inside differential housing, and FDS can not be pulled out of diff. Since snap ring locks into diff. This would indicted damage is in diff. I'd think, front end (front diff) would be making strange sounds. Either driving, or wheels in air spinning by hand. I'd also expect the diff side seal, leaking gear lube.

Drain and filter fluid and drain plug, to inspect for metal Some is expect on drain plug.

There are bearings, just inside diff, FDS rides on.
046c.JPG

Last edited:
GerLC100: Exact! The play I feel, only could be located in the seat/bearing (I think). But maybe it is not play, just normal? This is, what I don´t know.

2001LC: I think this weekend I can put the car on my inspection pit and maybe make a short video. But as you say, if there is really play in this bearing, there should be a noticeable/hearable damage in the diff. Also it should be noticeable as "shaking" while driving, as the drive shaft´s inner joint isn´t seated well. But I didn´t notice that. Also no diff oil loss, not even oil dust.

Strange thing; when I looked again under the car, I will update.

Thank you for your input.

GerLC100: Exact! The play I feel, only could be located in the seat/bearing (I think). But maybe it is not play, just normal? This is, what I don´t know.

2001LC: I think this weekend I can put the car on my inspection pit and maybe make a short video. But as you say, if there is really play in this bearing, there should be a noticeable/hearable damage in the diff. Also it should be noticeable as "shaking" while driving, as the drive shaft´s inner joint isn´t seated well. But I didn´t notice that. Also no diff oil loss, not even oil dust.

Strange thing; when I looked again under the car, I will update.

Thank you for your input.
GerLC100, is referring to propeller shafts, not FDS. FDS (AKA CV) go between wheels and front diff. Propeller shafts (AKA drive shaft) aft and forward, go from Transfer case to front and rear differentials.

There should be no side to side play, between differentials and inboard tulip (CV) of FDS. Any side to side play would damaged the diff. to FDS oil seal.

2001LC: Yes, I just saw what you refer to; in his first post GerLC100 mixes "drive shaft" and "U joints". Drive shafts don´t have U joints. So I put the picture to make it more clear, and in his answer, he shows a zoomed part of my drawing; so I think we all now are talking about the same part (front drive shaft / inner tulip).

I totally agree with you that there should be no play between differential and tulip, but I felt it! And yes, from my knowledge of technology, if there is any play between this parts, the sealing should leak badly. But everything is dry (maybe also the diff inside? - Just joking...)

I´ll try do look better and measure play/make video this weekend.

Sorry for my bad english; understanding it I´m very good, but speaking/writing... it´s a pity!

Gentlemen,

today I put the LC on my inspection pit and, believe it or not: There is no play between inboard tulip and front diff. Or, at least, I couldn´t see nothing similar to a problem.

I don´t know what happened the day I saw/felt the "play"; maybe I was halluzinating, maybe dreaming, I just can´t find an explication for it.

Of course, I´m happy to see that there is no play; because any other finding would have significated some trouble going on.

Sorry for wasting your time, and thank you again for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom