LC 70 series vs land rover defender110? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for information/experience from someone who has owned both a LC70 and a defender tdi. Currently I own a 89 bj73 that I have turbo'd. I want something that rides a little better, does a little better on the highway, has enough room to sleep in the back with all the doors closed, but is still a cool collector vehicle that will not depreciate if maintained.
My BJ 73 cannot reliably cruise at speeds above 65mph without dilligent guage watching. It's not long enough to lay down and sleep in the back with the doors closed. I have some body rust I contend with/repair every couple years or so around the fenders.
I can fly space A to England basically for free. I could take a week of vacation to go over and buy a decent used late 90's defender 110 and ship it back to the US for less than 15K total....Prices stateside for defenders seem to mostly be North of $20K.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe post in the 70 series forum if you haven't already. I'd opt for a Land Cruiser wagon over a Defender.

The defenders ride better than anything else. Long travel coils all round and there's a whole catalogue of springs to chose from depending on the weight you're going to be carrying. In comparison 70 series have leaf packs about 3 inches tall and you feel everything.

How good a UK import defender is going to be will depend exactly on how it's been looked after. The UK is a damp climate.

You are aware that you're not importing a late model Defender into the U.S. any time soon, right? They stopped making Defenders in 2016 but the newest you can import is a 1997 model.

You're not gaining any highway manners with one over your 70. They are tremendously slow and have every bit as poor handling characteristics as any Land Cruiser. They are extremely lightly built and have virtually no durability in and accident especially at speed. They are also expensive to maintain and require it. I guess you can sleep in them if you're not very tall.

The days of increasing prices are likely over for Defenders job just like with FJ40s. Pristine, low mileage examples will always bring out the collectors. ther rest will continue to depreciate forevver. If you don't know your way around them you'll likely get stuck with a Santana or worse.

Go buy a 60 or, better yet, a Suburban.

You are aware that you're not importing a late model Defender into the U.S. any time soon, right? They stopped making Defenders in 2016 but the newest you can import is a 1997 model.

You're not gaining any highway manners with one over your 70. They are tremendously slow and have every bit as poor handling characteristics as any Land Cruiser. They are extremely lightly built and have virtually no durability in and accident especially at speed. They are also expensive to maintain and require it. I guess you can sleep in them if you're not very tall.

The days of increasing prices are likely over for Defenders job just like with FJ40s. Pristine, low mileage examples will always bring out the collectors. ther rest will continue to depreciate forevver. If you don't know your way around them you'll likely get stuck with a Santana or worse.

Go buy a 60 or, better yet, a Suburban.
Lot of gloom and doom on land rovers. I'm aware of the 25 year old requirement for imports.
A defender 110 with coil suspension rides better than my leaf spring bj73. What I do like about my bj73 on the road is the high upright seat and that it "goes straight" with less effort than my other vehicles. I think a defender would wander more unless it has relatively new front bushings.
I'm assuming a defender 110 with TDI engine will run 70mph on the highway without overheating. Anything over 63 on the bj73 I have to vigilantly monitor my engine temp and EGTs. Will a TDI defender run 70 without overheating?

Prices on defenders in the UK seem cheaper than 40, 60, 70 prices in Japan.

The ideas on the back burner for now. I'm focused on things other than vehicles.

Lot of gloom and doom on land rovers. I'm aware of the 25 year old requirement for imports.
A defender 110 with coil suspension rides better than my leaf spring bj73. What I do like about my bj73 on the road is the high upright seat and that it "goes straight" with less effort than my other vehicles. I think a defender would wander more unless it has relatively new front bushings.
I'm assuming a defender 110 with TDI engine will run 70mph on the highway without overheating. Anything over 63 on the bj73 I have to vigilantly monitor my engine temp and EGTs. Will a TDI defender run 70 without overheating?

Prices on defenders in the UK seem cheaper than 40, 60, 70 prices in Japan.

The ideas on the back burner for now. I'm focused on things other than vehicles.

I don't have a defender, but I have range-rovers (plural) which share the same chassis, suspension and steering.
How straight they run down the highway depends almost entirely on the tyres. Fit tall skinny tyres with deep tread blocks and they wander even when steering gear is all good. Fit fatter tyres with more modest tread and they hold a line pretty damn well.
I run 215/85R16 Duratracs (wander like a horny dog) and 225/75R16 Pirelli AT (hold a line nicely).

TDI in good condition will run highway speed all day but gearing (incl tyre size) and noise is going to dictate your max comfortable rpm. These run 3.54:1 diffs and transfer high range can be 1.2:1, 1.4:1 or even 1.6:1. Defender is body bolted to chassis so NVH can be a problem.

Unless you just have a lot of money, you will Probabaly get a crap box. I’ve got a a friend that imported a 110 tdi from the UK “restorer” It looked really nice. The the 250tdi

Well, turbo replacement, several interior rusted out pieces, roamerdriver OD unit for better highway rpm’s, full suspension various other things and oh…a frame swap.

He loves it, it’s his money so that’s all that matters. It’s also possible that you could end up in the same boat by a shoddy cruiser “restore”.

Unless you have provenance on the vehicle you are getting, there is a high chance of getting a slug younhave to dump a bunch of money in. Good that you can go see one, but good rigs of 25 plus years are much harder to find.

Personally and blasphemous I know, but slap a V8 in and highway all day. My bj74 rides pretty Dang good for a leaf spring so playing with the spring pack and good shocks can make a big difference.

You are a big DIY guy so you could V8 swap and coil spring swap for less than getting a 110 that you will Probabaly have to dump a bunch of money into

No experience with a 110, but I've got some seat time in a '97 Defender 90 that my uncle owned. The biggest downside was the seating position. Very up right with little leg room. Driver seat was very close to the door. Over all it was very tractor like and rudimentary.

Of your criteria, I'd highly consider a 60 series. Much more refined than the Defender and definitely enough room to sleep in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom