large size socket set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an old set just like that. I bought it from Post Tool before they went under. Been using it for abotu 20 years now with cheater bars and everything..

Go the cheapie route. If you are gonna be mean to it, use the breaker bar...

if you decide to go 3/4 get one of these:

Mechanic’s Breaker Bar — 40in., Model# 67330 | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

Wicked cool, very beefy. The size of most 3/4 breaker bars is waaay too short.

Snapon also sells a very long 1/2 breaker bar that is much longer than what you can find from Sears, etc. I've seen a few cheapie clones that looked pretty good too.

You might want to consider looking on ebay or flea markets for just the sizes that you need. Most of the set will sit there and collect dust. They are however useful as if you have a whole set, you'll likely have the right size to press in seals and bearings.

Sears sells single large sockets for the best price I've seen, but they ain't cheap.

-Spike

You get what you pay for. Anything that big probably has some decent torque behind it so I wouldn't want to mess around with a cheapo Hurbo Fawk. Get the size you need in craftsman or something else.

I have a full set of the Pittsburgh Forge sockets. I've used them for about 20 years now (s***, that makes me feel a little old). I've broke some snap-on extensions with them. None of the PF sockets or extensions have broken. I know they aren't top of the line, but I am super happy with them. The chrome is still in great shape too. Some of my new craftsman sockets chrome is already peeling off.

No, I'm ok with the 3/4" drive set. I would like the same set, but 1/2" drive. So, I want a jumbo socket set, 1/2" drive that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't think that they'll make a 1/2" drive on a set with these size sockets (32mm plus). It requires a lot of torque and there is a safety factor here to consider. Just my 2 pennies. Thanks for reminding me to get one of this set. :)

You get what you pay for. Anything that big probably has some decent torque behind it so I wouldn't want to mess around with a cheapo Hurbo Fawk. Get the size you need in craftsman or something else.

i agree with this idiot........

I have this exact set and have to say that I have not had any problems with the sockets. The ratchet is junk, though. I've used the sockets for everything from their intended use to bearing/seal drivers and they have held up fine for the last 5 years or so. Granted, I do not use them everyday though. For the average DIYer, tools like this get used rarely.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom