Land Cruiser vs Range Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know I am reviving an old dead thread, and I don’t have any experience with Land Rovers, but I did own an FJ62 from 2010 to 2017. Over those years it cost me $36,000 in repairs and maintenance (oil changes every 3k miles). Probably the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

You over spent. You could have gone double the miles in oil changes, and of that $36000, how much was maintenance, really?

You over spent. You could have gone double the miles in oil changes, and of that $36000, how much was maintenance, really?
It’s hard d to say what is maintenance and what are repairs. Like rebuilding the transmission (twice). Replacing the radiator (also twice). Replacing The front and rear crankshaft seals. Replacing most of the drivetrain and suspension over time. But I did most of that stuff between 250,000 and 300,000 miles, so we’re they wear items at that point? I also replaced the alternator, the muffler and tailpipe, waterpump, fuel pump, blower motor, antenna motor, windshield washer motor, rebuilt the lock actuators, and never successfully found a way to repair the non working dome light (no power to fixture). And that list is just a small sampling.

So you had a vehicle that had over 350k miles on it and you replaced those items but some twice. The cooling system is the weakest link in most all vehicles and maintenance is recommended at 100k miles for Toyota engines.
I think most vehicles would cost more at that mileage and be worth less IMO.

putting it another way, I averaged about $500 per month in maintenance and repairs over my years of ownership.

I feel your pain... but at the same time have a hard time understanding how your case is relevant to this original question.

yes, you spent 35k in maintenance on a vehicle that a lot of miles and is 35 years old. i mean, did you complete a full restoration? You can purchase 2 (not perfect) FJ62’s for that and use one strictly for parts and get to the same place.

I guess the question is left for interpretation so I’ll speak to my experience. 5 years ago I purchased a disco 2 for $2800 and spent about 2k getting to a place where I was happy with it (finding salvage parts, there are a lot of them, to replace the interior, seals, drive shaft, radio, AC controls, etc). It had 160k when I bought and it leaked from... everywhere. Ultimately, it leaked so much oil down to the starter that I had to replace it, that was and extra $400. After that, the cooling system puked it’s guts out and it would have cost and extra 1.5k to fix. That’s where I drew the line and got cruiser. It made it to 182k miles. my dad has a 92’ county RR that I’m sure would be running if we invested the same amount but it’s just not worth it.

my 100 series, is at 206k and counting with no fuss.
Yes, I did the timing belt, water pump, T’s, plugs, replaced all oilsand serviceable items (all under $1200). I would feel comfortable driving that to South America tomorrow morning. The disco wouldn’t have it made from Seattle to Portland without stopping for coolant.

sorry if your experience hasn’t been like others out there and I’m glad there are experiences out there to bring us cruiser heads down to earth but I’m sure most can agree land cruisers are very reliable when compared to their British nemesis.

Range Rovers are like Antechinus.

Like Antechinus, Range Rover can get you to a blissful location... and you feel blissful...but then it dies on you suddenly.

Land Cruiser can get you there and back without dying a horrific death.

I've owned over 17 Toyotas over 23 years (including the wife cars). Im the biggest fan of the Company. I have a buddy whom is equally a fan of the RR. I have often considered switching over but just cant do it. RR are beautiful and capable but I dont think I could own one for 6-7 years and just do oil changes and routine maintenance. But no doubt they are cool!

Hi. I will be looking at a 2014 L405 (Mark IV) RR V6 Supercharged with 65k miles tomorrow. I’ve always loved the new body style. Any owners here of that year model that can share some common issues you experienced or maybe you can partake? This will be the first time I will inspect an RR in my life. I watched videos, read a lot of articles over the past few months -constructive, ad-driven, subjective all of them just to weigh facts and owners feedback. Still on the fence to pull the trigger or not but getting feedback here (legit reliable 4x4 enthusiasts forum) can maybe help me decide on this specific model. Appreciate it and thanks in advance gents.

Hi. I will be looking at a 2014 L405 (Mark IV) RR V6 Supercharged with 65k miles tomorrow. I’ve always loved the new body style. Any owners here of that year model that can share some common issues you experienced or maybe you can partake? This will be the first time I will inspect an RR in my life. I watched videos, read a lot of articles over the past few months -constructive, ad-driven, subjective all of them just to weigh facts and owners feedback. Still on the fence to pull the trigger or not but getting feedback here (legit reliable 4x4 enthusiasts forum) can maybe help me decide on this specific model. Appreciate it and thanks in advance gents.
Cold start rattle even for 2-3 seconds. Walk away. The 5.0L and 3.0L v6 supercharged don't have the greatest timing chains, guides, or tensioners. They updated the tensioner guide in 2014 but they still have problems.

Let us know how you like it.

Start off and Look at what that 2014 RR is worth now ~$30k vs what it was new $90-100k+. Then look at a 200 series LC what it was new ~$80k vs what 2014’s with 65k are selling for ~$40k There is a reason rovers are one of the worst for depreciation. Also almost every year they are last on the JD powers quality survey, don’t think I’ve ever seen a year the we’re not in the bottom 4. I guess what I’m getting at is the enthusiasts on here buy cruisers for the high quality build and reliability. I’ll agree rovers have more style and and luxury brand recognition, but most loyal rover people lease or buy a new one every 2-4 years and Either way never own one long enough for the warranty to expire.

Mother in law has a RR SVR with 575 HP- it’s an absolute blast. She’s had rovers now for about 2 years and so far just some small electronic bugs that the dealership warrantied.

I know I am reviving an old dead thread, and I don’t have any experience with Land Rovers, but I did own an FJ62 from 2010 to 2017. Over those years it cost me $36,000 in repairs and maintenance (oil changes every 3k miles). Probably the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Wait...what? $36k in USD???? For an FJ62?? You could come close to building a brand new one from parts for that much. My FJ60, over 33 years of my ownership, has averages maybe $250/year in maintenance and repairs. Maybe, and that includes tires, brakes, etc. And, up until recently, I had the dealer do the work (thank my lucky starts that they had an older guy well versed in working on it). Those numbers you quote are brutal!

That being said, I have owned RRs and Discovery 1 and 2. Everything that could break did break but luckily during the warranty period. After that they were fairly reliable. Would I take them on a long trip to Central America? Nope. But around town they worked. My wife is currently car shopping and will most likely be moving from a Lexus to a RR Velar for her grocery getter.

I know a guy who makes all his money on Range Rovers. No, not fixing them. Exporting used ones to countries with huge tax implications on new vehicles. He buys every current body style example he can find, loads it in a shipping container, and ships it off. So apparently there is a strong market for used RRs in developing countries and Russia. But I would expect they are not used off road.

Last edited:
Admittedly antidotal: My parents bought an 85 FJ60 and an 87 Range Rover. They were both awesome for ranch duty (The Rover had lockers so might have edged out the FJ60 for raw capability). That Range Rover had an electrical system wired by the prince of darkness, it rained, and the doors would not unlock, the wipers would go when you’d hit the horn. It made it (barley) to 100k miles with a blown catalytic converters and many many other repairs, sold in 1993. The FJ60 made it to 380k with a blown thermostat as the worst thing, we sold it two years ago. In that time my Mother has had a fist gen Discovery - no real issues, and a last gen LR-4. Other then the crazy maintenance cost and the depreciation like a stone they are fine. I have a 16 200 and use it hard (harder then ranch duty, SAR mostly) and at 50k miles I’ve done nothing other then oil and lube.

Cold start rattle even for 2-3 seconds. Walk away. The 5.0L and 3.0L v6 supercharged don't have the greatest timing chains, guides, or tensioners. They updated the tensioner guide in 2014 but they still have problems.

Let us know how you like it.
I have read a handful of write ups from owners themselves regarding the tensioners and guides of the timing chain, not that complicated to work similar with our cruisers to the least. It’s the electronic failures that I’m watching for like the TCM (transmission control module) that is $$$$ for the part alone. Thanks for the heads up.

Mother in law has a RR SVR with 575 HP- it’s an absolute blast. She’s had rovers now for about 2 years and so far just some small electronic bugs that the dealership warrantied.
Correct me if I’m wrong the RR SVR aka L494 is closely similar in terms of electronics, engine and tranny to the L405 aka Mark IV. Care to share what those electronic bugs were that the dealership warrantied? Thanks in advance.

I know a guy who makes all his money on Range Rovers. No, not fixing them. Exporting used ones to countries with huge tax implications on new vehicles. I buys every current body style example he can finds, loads it in a crate, and ships it off. So apparently there is a strong market for used RRs in developing countries and Russia. But I would expect they are not used off road.
I would agree with this, we lived in Manila Ph and the used market for RRs and LRs there are ridiculously overpriced. Lots of used/salvage parts for rebuilding but not so much of a reliable builder to go to other than the stealership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom