Land Cruiser vs Range Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

but after a only a couple thousand miles the interior was wearing badly and the entire user interface locked up on him so he couldn’t use the climate control or infotainment until he restarted the car multiple times and walked away from it.

It was wearing fine! It was just a light colored leather and picked up dye transfer from blue jeans, likely could be cleaned away. Same deal with BMWs Silverstone leather, etc.

All this hate, time to go home and hug my Disco 1.

If my Instagram feed is any form of scientific evidence, the majority of posts from RR/LR owners are of them fixing their machines, or getting ready for a trip only to find an issue. Majority of posts of LC owners are of them out enjoying their adventures.

Sometime in the early 2000's I rented a nearly brand new Land Rover for a business trip thinking it would be a nice for a 12 hour ride. It wandered down the highway no matter the road surface like an old truck with a worn steering box. Every time we stopped the gas latch cover was open and eventually I figured out that when you shut the door the gas latch would open. I've driven some POS's in my life but at least they were cheap. I have no idea how it would do off road but you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.

Some like to bag on Consumer Reports...but in this case, they report actual owner survey results...and base predicted reliability on that.

It doesn't look good for Range Rover.

The double-down-arrows in red indicate MUCH WORSE than average reliability, while Toyota and Lexus are #1 and #2 for best reliability.

PS. Check out the high-end price on the 2018 Land Rover... $199,950.00(!!!!!!).
-Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Holy CRAP!"

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 10.47.26 AM.png

Consumer Reports has its issues (self-selected reporting), but I haven’t seen any other reliability data that approaches it.

Jonathan Ward at Icon 4x4 has restomodded a couple Defender 110s for clients. You can check them out on his YouTube channel.

He basically hates Land Rovers. Nothing is square. Nothing is symmetric.

Consumer Reports has its issues (self-selected reporting), but I haven’t seen any other reliability data that approaches it.

Agree. If CR has one strength, it's reliability data because it only reports survey data, and does not editorialize the data.

Daughter and son-in-law have two, range rover sport V8 and the big expensive one, told him they were pieces of s*** he said he wouldn’t own one out of warranty I guess we’ll see...

EDIT: As I read more on this site, I found a distinct LACK of explanation of their methodology. Huge grain of salt.

Similar confirmation from that site, although I truly hope their inclusion of "Average" is not true. Otherwise, the rest of the auto world is in sorry shape:

This is not reliability. This is their Quality Index (which amazingly put the G-Wagon at the top above the LX) :

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 12.30.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 12.34.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Perhaps I’m missing it, but I don’t see anywhere on that site that explains where they get their data. Also, their 1M data points doesn’t approach CR.

Ya, I couldn't either as I continued to look...

Noted in an EDIT of the above post....

In the "How we arrive at scores..."

Author "Nick" refers to "Steve and I."

Um... OK. So Nick and some dude named Steve come up with scores?

RR- only under warranty or as a lease.... I'd do a G long before I did that. Although I love the D series...... my folks had a 64' 109 that eventually rusted out.....

Old Defender body on a LC frame and drivetrain would be ideal.

Old Defender body on a LC frame and drivetrain would be ideal.

Not quite but in a similar vein, the guy I bought my D1 from had a Series II body sitting on a cutdown Discovery 1 frame with a 200TDi powerplant.

Ya, I couldn't either as I continued to look...

Um... OK. So Nick and some dude named Steve come up with scores?

I looked at that site back when it was called the trade-in quality index (original site link referenced here).

Back then they had a better explanation for data, but I can't remember all the details. Pretty sure their data was restricted to the drivetrain - no electronics, A/C, suspension, rust, etc.

And IIRC one of them was a used car dealer who was interested in objective reliability and so set out to collect it through repair histories reported through their contacts at shops and a used car dealer association.

Last time I looked (before this thread), only two vehicles received a 100 score, the LC and the Tundra (or maybe it was the T100 - I forget, been a while).

I don't know how to use any 'net wayback machine kind of thing, but if someone does maybe they could find the site for the original explanation. Then again, probably not worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom