Land Cruiser "replaced" by Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This afternoon I went to a large Toyota main dealer in southern California to look at some new Land Cruisers. I could not see any on lot so as the salesman aproached I asked where they were. "We don't have any" he said. "Oh, on back order are they?" I asked. "No" he replied, "They were too expensive - never sold - so they were replaced by the Sequoia." I was dumb struck and left.

Anyone like to comment? Does Toyota endorse directing Land Cruiser customers to Sequoias?

Mike Stevens
:eek: :confused:

Give the guy a break....probably his second week on the job after 2 weeks at Kia after 2 weeks @ Suzuki.....

Good help is hard to find.

MH_Stevens said:
Anyone like to comment? Does Toyota endorse directing Land Cruiser customers to Sequoias?

Toyota dealership personnel can direct you to buy a canoe if they want. But I can assure you that if you call his sales manager tomorrow and tell him what the salesman said, not only will that manager gladly find you a Land Cruiser, but that salesman probably won't be there to hand you your keys when you pick it up.

Jim

Last edited:
He probably doesn't even know the difference between a LC and a Sequoia

I had the same experience at my local dealership recently, and the guy wasn't new. He claimed that the LC had been replaced world wide by the Sequoia. Ahem, excuse me?

teknomad80 said:
I had the same experience at my local dealership recently, and the guy wasn't new. He claimed that the LC had been replaced world wide by the Sequoia. Ahem, excuse me?

Tell him you'll just have to go over to the Lexus dealership and look at an LX470... or has it been replaced by the Sequoia too :eek: ??

Let's put it this way, based on my personal experience with local lot jockeys:

Any car dealer's hiring of automotive sales personell isn't exactly drying up the pool of potential brain surgeons.

I'm not sure what the requirements are, but the bar seems set kinda low.

Who cares, you're comparing the 100 to a Sequia. Moving this over to the IFS forum where it belongs.

Most dealers view LC's as $60K anchors sitting on their lots (I've had GM's tell me this), but Toyota makes them take some to insure their alotments. When they move the ones they've got, they'll gladly try to put somebody into a more plentiful Sequoia. Let's face it, the average Toyota customer doesn't come in looking to spend that kind of money...

Mike,

My comment would be to buy a nice used one and let some other sucker take the depreciation on the chin;)

As far as the dealers go, I've never met a salesperson who knew more about his/her product line than I do. If they are completely clueless and rude to boot, I leave.

ATLcrusher said:
Most dealers view LC's as $60K anchors sitting on their lots ...

We have had a black one sitting on the lot for 6 months.....and they just unloaded two more yesterday!

Now where is that lotto ticket?

Awe, that POS Cruiser sitting on the lot. I'd be willing to separate with 35k to give it a home in my garage. :)

I think Toyota is making the move to push the cheaper built vehicles onto the masses (higher profit and they move faster), but it still.................

"Ain't your daddy's cruiser". Sucks, but I think thats where we're going.

Wait, isn't the "Suck-oh-yea" available with a turbo diesel and a straight axle front end?

Doug

I apologize to any Sequoia owners, but I couldn't resist.

After thinking some more about my post last night, I honestly don't mean to discredit the Sequoia, it is in fact the third most reliable large SUV (behind the Cruiser and the LX470) as rated by Consumer Reports. So I don't want anyone to think I'm dogging it. The Sequoia is ok, but it still isn't a cruiser.

All in all, I'd buy one but only after they took all of the 80's and 100's off the market. :)

Doug M.

The Sequoias from what I've heard, have had more than their own share of problems. Consumer reports is hardly a good source for reliability history. JD powers rated the Tahoe the best reliablity for large SUVs. That was 2001 models 3 years later. Not that I'm saying Tahoes are better, just that different folks rate different vehicles differently. Personally I'd take JD powers opinion over CR. I always get a good laugh at the "recommended buys" CR comes out with. If an American car has a bad ashtray repair history they give it a bad review. A Japanese vehicle with un-fixable front end problems like the Sequoia gets a best large SUV rating? Go to carreview.com to get real opinions on the Sequoia from real owners. Some good, some bad, but not the pinnacle of reliability they'd have you believe.

Good points Rule.

I seldom read those reports, but maybe I should read more of them before offering anymore opinions.

It seems to me as if CR is a little closer to the truth.

'Doh'

DM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom