Land Between Lakes and Tennessee dirt devil trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Everyone, I am a 98 LX470 owner from frigid Wisconsin. I have been thinking about checking out LBL and TN Dirt Devil for a while.

Is it advisable for a weeklong trip in a mildly modified 100 series with 3 kids 10 and under? Are the trails mostly accessible publicly?
We don't have much camping paraphernalia so we are hoping to find accommodation in hotels, would that be particularly challenging with the current situation with COVID-19?

Thanks for the help.

Looks like this isn't a popular topic around here!

I would check LBLs website or give them a call, and see if they are going to be open as it is a state park and you would need to purchase a permit to wheel and camp.

The Dirt Devil is just a bunch of dirt roads that are open to the public. Most of the land is private once you venture off the roads, so excursion from the established road is frowned upon and will most likely get the law called. You can check on hotels around Centerville, Columbia or Dickson. Also, Lehman Lake Campground is a little more rustic and has tent or rv camping available. If you call Bill he may open up a cabin for you, but I can't say for sure. We usually go out there and stay with a large church group a couple times a year.

I would check LBLs website or give them a call, and see if they are going to be open as it is a state park and you would need to purchase a permit to wheel and camp.

The Dirt Devil is just a bunch of dirt roads that are open to the public. Most of the land is private once you venture off the roads, so excursion from the established road is frowned upon and will most likely get the law called. You can check on hotels around Centerville, Columbia or Dickson. Also, Lehman Lake Campground is a little more rustic and has tent or rv camping available. If you call Bill he may open up a cabin for you, but I can't say for sure. We usually go out there and stay with a large church group a couple times a year.
Be advised that area is one of the hardest hit areas in our state for Covid-19. Coronavirus Update: 615 COVID-19 cases in Tennessee I would not recommend traveling to that area. Many of the LBL campgrounds have also closed. Alerts - Land Between the Lakes

Thank you both. Looks like waiting for a bit longer is better. For future reference: What are the wheeling opportunities like in the LBL area?

don't think many in this group run up that way. If I knew more about that location I would chime in. I don't think I would recomend travel in general while the covid-19 virus issues are in play. Many places are closed....I'm down in North AL, so I'm not sitting in the area there physically , but to give you an example....most everyone @ redstone arsenal is working from home, no restaurants are open unless take out/pickup, some business are closed etc. Overall likely not great idea in my view to travel, espically with children (my view). You might find some people in the KY forum that have more first hand knowledge of the situation on the ground....

don't think many in this group run up that way. If I knew more about that location I would chime in. I don't think I would recomend travel in general while the covid-19 virus issues are in play. Many places are closed....I'm down in North AL, so I'm not sitting in the area there physically , but to give you an example....most everyone @ redstone arsenal is working from home, no restaurants are open unless take out/pickup, some business are closed etc. Overall likely not great idea in my view to travel, espically with children (my view). You might find some people in the KY forum that have more first hand knowledge of the situation on the ground....
Thank you

Also adding that LBL is a great place for side-by-sides, not as much for full-size vehicles - in my opinion. If you are traveling for a destination trip, might be worth considering:
- Windrock, near Knoxville, TN. 72,000 acres with trails of all types and connects to Royal Blue (wildlife management area) for more exploring. You don't need 40" tires to enjoy Windrock for days.
- Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (Kentucky). I still have yet to make this trip myself, but I'm sure others can chime in. It's on my list: Whats Happening on your SFWDA Message Board Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway — Southern Four Wheel Drive Association

Almost 6 months later and I am still planning for the trip. Based on responses here and my research elsewhere, I think I want to check Daniel Boone BackCountry Byway (DBBB) and the Windrock park. Time will be tight, so I might have only 1 day for DBB and the 2 days for the Windrock.

I plan to swing my the Great Smoky Mountains for a few days and then drive home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom