KZJ78W - Head Gasket Going / Head Cracked? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - getting active again. I sold my last KZJ78 a couple years ago and just picked up a 1994 KZJ78W with about 200KM on the odometer.

To my surprise when I got it fresh from customs it had no coolant, which I thought was weird - and a bad sign. Long story short I fill the radiator and drive it about 100 miles home. Everything seems fine, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant, no white smoke, no other weirdness - except one thing. If I pull the overflow hose out of the expansion tank, a steady stream of fine white vapor comes out. This is the only thing that is weird - and I think it means my head is likely cracked. Anyone else have any similar experience and can confirm my great fear?

Two more questions:
  1. Can anyone recommend a source of AMC heads in the USA...? Nobody seems to want to ship a completed AMC head state side.
  2. Can I put the newer style 1KZTE head on, I believe it has longer valves (due to a thicker casting)?
Thanks-

You need to properly fill the coolant, and burp it. If it was empty then you didn’t fill it properly and it probably is still low on fluid.
Any recommendations on how to do this properly?

The other reason I’m leaning toward a head issue is the overflow line from the expansion tank is ran way down near the axle… I suspect it may have been spitting coolant and the prior owner did this so it wouldn’t get all over the engine. Although again on my 100 mile drive I don’t think I lost much if any coolant.

Buy a new rad cap too, as it should not let pressure out so easily as you're describing.

I'm pretty sure that white vapor coming out is exhaust :(

If I smell it - it smells just like diesel exhaust...

On a positive note I may have found an importer in the US for AMC heads, more to come!

Well tried bleeding again, overflow was puffing consistently and smeed like exhaust still. Pulled the head, crack confirmed...

1kzte block crack.png

Good news is the AMC head from spain should be on my doorstep tomorrow. Once the gaskets get here I can start putting her back together...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom