Kzj78 towing setups & info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I’m new here and have been troweling the forum for examples of KZJ78 towing setups. I’m in Australia and finding it hard to find any information.
I have a 1994 KZJ78, 230,000kms that’s been modified already. It’s had a lift, repaint and rust protection sprayed underneath. Everything looks really clean under the bonnet but yet to find out the ins and outs of the engine. Learning learning learning!
I’m still learning car lingo too so if there is anyone out there with the patience to share their knowledge in lamens terms I would be very greatful. TIA 😁
Here is a pic :)

1A669612-6BDD-4255-A02A-5842D88CBC58.jpeg

Hello KZJ78 lover!

Super clean rig. The KZJ78 is a light-duty model with a 1KZ-TE engine. These engines are notorious for overheating and cracking cylinder heads if you put too much strain on them. All the advice I've received about towing with this rig is DON'T! Even typical overlanding setups may be a bit much for the engine. Follow-on advice usually consists of making sure the cooling system is in good order (flush, upgrade to 10-blade fan), upgrading the head gasket, adding an intercooler, and adding an exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensor and gauge to keep an eye on things. I've seen a few that also add a water/methanol injection system to keep EGTs in check instead of the intercooler setup. It may reach a point where the money is better spent on a heavy-duty model for towing and keeping the Prado for fun driving.

For more info about the engine, the 1KZ-TE was also put in the eponymous Hilux pickups, so info is pretty available for the power plant.

Best of luck and keep us posted as you go, there's not much on these vehicles out there.

Welcome to the madness my friend!

As stated above, overloading a 1KZ without certain considerations is not recommended. I would say yes, you can certainly tow reliably with a KZJ78 but in order to ensure your drivetrain's dependability you would need to take some measures first:

1. Exercise common sense, and be realistic with using the rig for it's intended use. No drivetrain is bulletproof if pushed outside of it's intended use envelope. And everything has an envelope.

2. Heat management is key. A top preforming cooling system (radiator, coolant, fan, clutch, pump, shroud, thermostat, transmission cooler) must operate at OE levels or better. Many easy service threads/mods can be find here that will get you there.

3. Related to heat management: EGT probe/gauge, a better (2.5"/3") dumppipe-exhaust to monitor/remove exhaust gases out of your engine more effectively. EGR/throttle body delete.

4. An intercooler, ideally with good sized cores and simple plumbing.

5. Dedicated engine oil cooler.

By researching such items you will gain a comprehensive understanding on how to transform a 1KZ into the robust, hard to kill power plant that is worthy of it's place in the engine bay of Land Cruiser. Ask questions and this community will be happy to help. :)

Toyota's indirect injection diesels have a rather unfair bad reputation, partially due to the high expectations from Toyota, and perhaps due to people tend to want their 25+ year old boxes of steel (built to survive the 3rd world environments/operators) to drive on the highway like their 7 speed computers on wheels of nowadays. Yet no one seems to have any delusions about the prospects of failure of their minivans off road, for example.

Keep your drivetrain serviced and cool and your right foot light, and you'll be driving your land cruiser well into Armageddon's afternoon.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom