KZJ78 limp mode (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a little problem with the logic in the above statement.

If they disagree with it being the ecu, why are they commonly removing the ecu and changing over to manual injection? 🤔

At least you have very cheap labor there!
Yeah I don't know man it's so bizarre, everything here is 1kz swapped. Hyundai's, Kia's... If i could just find a manual r151

Yeah I don't know man it's so bizarre, everything here is 1kz swapped. Hyundai's, Kia's... If i could just find a manual r151
Actually to add to that, there are a lot of 3.0 hilux's around here... If i did find an r151 could i just use a 1kz ECU from something else like a hiace or Hilux?

Actually to add to that, there are a lot of 3.0 hilux's around here... If i did find an r151 could i just use a 1kz ECU from something else like a hiace or Hilux?
If you can get your hands on one, especially if it is from a manual transmission one, I think it would be worth a try, you really have nothing to lose by plugging one in and seeing if it makes a difference. The only thing that we would not be able to answer is the one you try - is it good?

With them swapping them out you would think there should be a few of them around unless they ended up at the landfill.

If you can get your hands on one, especially if it is from a manual transmission one, I think it would be worth a try, you really have nothing to lose by plugging one in and seeing if it makes a difference. The only thing that we would not be able to answer is the one you try - is it good?

With them swapping them out you would think there should be a few of them around unless they ended up at the landfill.

Hmmm yeah I don't think they go to the landfill haha... But I was just reading a thread on a manual swap and i guess you need a box from a manual LJ* otherwise the housing is wrong length...

Hmmm yeah I don't think they go to the landfill haha... But I was just reading a thread on a manual swap and i guess you need a box from a manual LJ* otherwise the housing is wrong length...
Yeah I don't have a 1KZ, or an automatic, so I don't know if the automatic ones have a separate ecu for the transmission. I am with you, I would have to think it would be the same one, so you need to source one from a manual truck. Maybe someone more familiar with the 1KZ prados can chime in on that one

Yeah I don't have a 1KZ, or an automatic, so I don't know if the automatic ones have a separate ecu for the transmission. I am with you, I would have to think it would be the same one, so you need to source one from a manual truck. Maybe someone more familiar with the 1KZ prados can chime in on that one

How do they expect me to support the landcruiser name after all of this

I am not a religious man but pray this is still available... Can't believe my eye balls
Screenshot_2023-04-10-22-47-38-47_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

An ECU from a 1kz equiped Surf with automatic is the only plug n play ECU that I know of you can use unmodified, and even then you will lose overdrive and all your shift points will be higher, much higher.

The Surf ECU will work to get you moving. I used one temporarily while I was recapping my ECU and again during some experimentation. I could be wrong but I think the HiAce ECU does not include provisions for AT operation.

*Can't wait for the next full video!!*

An ECU from a 1kz equiped Surf with automatic is the only plug n play ECU that I know of you can use unmodified, and even then you will lose overdrive and all your shift points will be higher, much higher.

The Surf ECU will work to get you moving. I used one temporarily while I was recapping my ECU and again during some experimentation. I could be wrong but I think the HiAce ECU does not include provisions for AT operation.

*Can't wait for the next full video!!*
So this guy has hiace ecu's and builds harnesses to test engines for engine importers while they're still out the truck. The hiace ECU doesn't include provisions for at operation? The part number on these is 89661-21680 but it does sat 1kzte. A/T and same plug count... Also for the shift points of a surf ECU, could i just bring those down ? What this guy did but opposite?

Aha ok so yeah different trans in the hiace got it he told me same thing... Is it possible to use the stock ECU to shift the tranny and run the hiace ECU for the motor? Or hiace for motor with aftermarket controller? Kinda grasping at straws. Either way should have mostly the same capacitors i hope

Edit: oh man fingers crossed but I think i found the guy... He build harnesses for swaps and rebuilds ECU's plug modifies them.

He just sent me this pic

Screenshot_2023-04-11-07-32-25-02_7a5391456ddf15713cd09dfbd75e8325.jpg

Last edited:
you sure its not something as simple as fuel delivery? I tried putting a non return valve on my KZJ78 (before it got wrecked) to help with cold start and leak back , well it worked for a bit but after a week or so it choked the fuel and it wouldn't get any revs over 2000 rpm under load
try running simple 12V Facet fuel pump or even a separate fuel tank out of a boat strapped to your roof feeding straight in to the pump , at least all of this would rule out initial fuel delivery in itself?

Well I'm going to post this for closure... Because I feel bad that after all this time, effort, and work, the issue is fixed. We swapped the injection pump yesterday with no joy, indeed the code 32 WAS caused by a faulty resistor however this was not the issue. After calling it a night we came back to the shop and decided yes, let's bypass the fuel system anyways and did it Guatemala style. Driving down the highway with a 5L oil jug full of diesel as the fuel tank. No joy.

Darwin (of course that's his name) the electrical mechanic I've been working with, who is 1 of 2 mechanics I've ever met who genuinely impressed me with his hardcore diagnostic skills and intelligence, decided to go back to basics and check every single wire and connection in the whole engine bay again.

Long story long, what was the issue? The new MAF sensor wasn't changing values with increased throttle input. So it idled great, and ran seemingly great at low speed/low load, and then way too lean up top. Yes. This whole issue was a faulty MAF sensor. What a headache.

That's hilarious, I was just about to paste exactly the same thing, lol!

So further to that, I'd recommend OP check to see if the resistor connectors on the side of the injection pump are dirty or damaged. Maybe clean them with compressed air and contacts with an electrical cleaner and see if it makes a difference.

I replaced mine with multi-turn potentiometers in the cabin....and use them to fine tune my motor. (around 2.5k Ohm if I remember correct)
Was this pretty easy to do? I'm currently looking at doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom