KZJ78 Fluids Question for Group (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new 1993 KZJ78 that I am starting to get onto a maintenance schedule. It has a 1KZ-TE Engine 3.0L Turbo. I have looked, paid for downloads for 70-series manuals but I can't find one that actually lists a KZJ78 specifically and with a 1KZ-TE so I wanted to get some advice from other owners if they thought the below was right. I cobbled this together from various forums, Toyota websites and 70-series manuals. Not so worried about capacities as getting fluid specs right.
Thanks for any advice and/or comments:

Lubricants & Capacities 1KZT Engine 3.0 Ltr Turbo

Engine 1KZT Oil: SAE 10W-40 API CF/4 7.7 ltrs

ATM Fluid: Dex II (Valv Max Life seems fine) 15 ltrs

Transfer Box: SAE 75W-90 API GL-4/5 2.2 ltrs

Front Axle:

with ADD: SAE 75W-90 API GL-4/5 1.9 ltr

without ADD: SAE 80W-90 API GL-4/5 2.0 ltr

Rear Axle:

with Diff Lock/Standard: SAE 80W-90 API GL-4/5 1.9 ltr

Limited Slip Diff: Hypoy LSD 90 LSD API GL5/6 1.8 ltr

Power Steering: Dex 11/111 0.8 ltr

Brakes SAE J1703/4 DOT 3/4 1.2 ltr

Prop Shaft Universal Joints Lithium Base NLGI No. 2

Engine, gearbox and axles correct!

I shall be taking a copy for my reference too.

You cant overfill anything, so knowing the exact amount is not vital.

Hello,

Your table is correct.

Be careful not to pump too much grease on the drive shafts.

Juan

Thank You all for input. I went ahead and made a PDF for future reference by 70-series group.

Attachments

• KZJ78 Fluids Specs.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 496
Toyota introduced the Automatic Differential Disconnect (ADD) 4-wheel drive system on its trucks in 1989, and on the 4Runner with the 1990 redesign. 70# Series Prado's didn't use it as it was part of the front axle system.

ooh... thank you very much. 2 question: what is the recommended oil for a manual transmission, and what would happen if I used the same oil on the transfer case and front/rear diffs? Say SAE 75W-90 or SAE 80W-90.

I purchased Rotella T6 5 W 40 for synthetic for my motor. Would that work well? And after how many miles should it be changed

I have a 1KZ-TE 3.0 L and I've been using Shell Rotella T4 15w40 just following previous owners lead and have had no problems. The 1KZE-TE oil viscosity chart attached. Manual recommends oil change every 5k KM and Filter ever 10k KM but I do filter every time I change oil.

15872606066294808790800886734361.jpg

Hello all. So for the 5speed manual, does anyone know the capacity to perform a fluid change? I'm planning on using 75w-90 for both the transmission and transfer case. Thanks for the other volumes listed in the table above but it was just missing the manual trans capacity. Thanks in advance!

I believe the H55F holds roughly 5L of GL4. Transfer case is 2.2L.

I filled mine until it flowed out of the fill hole. Just like a normal trans fluid change. Those numbers were pretty close.

Capacities are all in the owners manuals. You can find that at the Cruiser Cult website. I also bought an English manual off eBay for like $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom