Kut Snake Flare Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After installing a set of Kut Snake flares over the weekend I wanted to post up a thread on the install process. It was somewhat straightforward but I found myself wanting more info during the process.

I purchased the flares from @c2dfj45. Fast to respond, fast to ship, and answered all of my questions promptly. Definitely a good vendor. He was very cordial in his response to my "I want a refund these won't fit!" PM.

Final product
20221023_125012.jpg

Flares were well packaged with all hardware included. The ones I got were pre drilled, I saw some reviews online where they were not.

I used the attached guide provided by the seller. It is pretty thorough but I found the following tips helpful.

1. When removing the factory flares you do not need to mess with the airbox on the passenger side. Pull the turn signal light and reach in to access all the nuts. The far rear ones can be accessed through the hole in the fender near the firewall.
  2. Unlike the factory flares the kut snakes are not perfectly form fitted to the vehicle. At first this confused me and I contacted the seller who assured me that is how they work. If you get two people you can bend and flex them into place and will see how they sit when fitted. This is what is done during the install. The flare is flexed into place, and held that way with the screws.
  3. There will be a few times where you start a self tapping screw and then remove it. The body metal is hard, and can strip the screws quickly. If you are reusing a screw check it first. A stripped screw will still work well in a hole that is already started.
  4. The flares are designed to fit with the bottom lip "hooked" onto the metal fender. They are then pressed firmly against the body to spread them in to place. They are designed to have significant tension against the body when tightened down.

Fronts
The fronts are pretty straightforward once you get the first screw started. Locating the front is difficult. There is a spot where the front flare lip grabs the body well. Start there and push the flare into place. The front edge will still have a significant gap from the body. That will be pulled in further than you think when the first screw is tightened. Then follow the directions and go to the last screw, then the middle.

I only had to redo one hole on the fronts.

Bonus! I found a lovely bondo surprise from tbe previous owner under my passenger flare. Glad to get it covered back up. Gross.

20221015_152948.jpg

Front latched down tight.
20221023_160031_02.jpg

The rears are much more tricky....

On the front I did not waterproof any of the old holes. Just some paint touch up to prevent any rust. For the rears I did some paint touch up and then taped the holes with metal tape. I think I used heat shield tape. It's what I had in the garage, and has lasted on my wiring harness by the EGR for years and lots of engine washes. It would probably be better to use a body plug and silicone.
20221023_101817.jpg

Follow the directions on the install guide. Here are my additional tips.

1. The rears on the body are not that hard to fit. I had to trim a very small bit of mine to get them to fit flush against the 4x4 labs bumper. A hot utility knife made quick work of them.
  2. You do NOT have to remove the factory brackets for the door flare. The new flare will sit flush against them. You could remove them, but I opted not to as there is no benefit and it could lead to rust issues.
  3. Like the fronts make sure the rear pieces are hooked on the wheel arch of the body. Then force them into place and screw.
  4. When my rears where finally fitted the front edge was almost perfectly flush with the body gap for the door. I'll add some fitment photos later.
  5. Moving onto the rear door sections, the first screw you place closest to the door gap is a real PITA to get right. Try fitting the flare by hand first. You will notice this one really flexes against the body when installed.
  6. The door sections do not hook on the body like the others, since they are on the doors. This makes fitment much more difficult. They do however have a small tab that hooks onto the door itself. I'll add a photo. They also twist during the install.
  7. I had to drill 3 times to get the hole right for the rears. The body metal is surprisingly thick and strong, and you can get away drilling a 2nd hole very close to the first. Any holes that ended up not being used by the screw for final install were painted.
  8. Once you have the first screw twist the flare into place and do the one closest to the rocker panel. I installed the middle without removing this flare since it only has 3 screws.
  9. You can get them to gap well, but not 100% perfect. I'd say if you get to 95% of "perfect" fitment your in a good spot.
  10. On mine I had to get the first screw started, then pop the lip over the door to hook it, then tighten down that screw. Wish I made a video.
I'll work on refining this thread over the next few days as I get some more photos taken.

Attachments

• kutsnake-4x4-information-guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
More fitment photos that I would have found helpful before the install.

Showing the rear fitment against a 4x4 labs bumper with the flare cutouts. You can see where a small bit of material needs to to be removed for them to fit properly.
20221023_124359.jpg

Fitment of the rear body flare in relation to the door opening. Almost perfectly in line with the body.
20221024_082243.jpg

Final fitment with door closed of the rear all bolted up. It took 3 attempts to get that 1st screw on the door flare in the correct location.
20221023_122146.jpg

Showing how the bottom lip of the flare hooks onto the body on the fronts.
20221024_082214.jpg

This is where the rear door flares need to hook onto the door for proper fitment. Notice that the bottom of this flare does not hook onto the body work and is free floating making the fitment more difficult.
20221024_082156.jpg

That's about it! I imagine the install is easier when it is not snowing. Warmer ABS is more pliable. I did not have to use a heat gun.

Overall a :banana::banana: job.

Last edited:
Look good, think these would work if the rear fenders were trimmed 1".

Nice write up @KC masterpiece ! I appreciate you taking the time to post this up.

I sent Mike an email…is he @c2dfj45 ? If so I’ll be communicating with him soon.

Great write up- I have contemplated these off and on for a while, now. Will be easier if I pull the trigger. Thanks!

I was thinking about mud flaps too. What are you going to use?

I’m almost done installing the driver side. I still need to glue and trim some of the gasket and I need to clearance the rear door piece. So far it’s not been too bad. Thanks @KC masterpiece for your write up…very helpful!
CB36DCAC-DB64-427A-B375-4974DD738DB5.jpeg
095052F6-4D84-4FDA-9D74-8C2C1F5D73F8.jpeg

Finished up with the install today. Not too bad once you get going. They are not perfect but better than before with holes in the fenders. I wasn’t sure how I would like them but they’re growing on me. I personally think they look better on a cruiser with dark paint but I’m happy for now.
4B585C25-F714-45ED-A090-45247D692890.jpeg
C0B793EB-5377-464E-82A9-1BDB46B100BD.jpeg
ECAE4A6D-5C32-4270-9ED7-4750E73F6488.jpeg

C7474AD3-D4D0-42B5-A822-55A2F79A07CA.jpeg

More fitment photos that I would have found helpful before the install.

Showing the rear fitment against a 4x4 labs bumper with the flare cutouts. You can see where a small bit of material needs to to be removed for them to fit properly.
View attachment 3149189

Fitment of the rear body flare in relation to the door opening. Almost perfectly in line with the body.
View attachment 3149190

Final fitment with door closed of the rear all bolted up. It took 3 attempts to get that 1st screw on the door flare in the correct location.
View attachment 3149191

Showing how the bottom lip of the flare hooks onto the body on the fronts.
View attachment 3149192

This is where the rear door flares need to hook onto the door for proper fitment. Notice that the bottom of this flare does not hook onto the body work and is free floating making the fitment more difficult.
View attachment 3149193

That's about it! I imagine the install is easier when it is not snowing. Warmer ABS is more pliable. I did not have to use a heat gun.

Overall a :banana::banana: job.
Thank you.
I'm about to do mine.
These tips will be most helpful.

Hi all, want to jump in on this thread with a challenge I have not been able to crack. I too have installed kut-snake fenders (see pic). While I like the fenders, on my 8" lift / 40" tire setup the mud kick back is out of control – I desperately need some mud flaps that will fit this setup. Has anyone find some good mud-flaps that will fit onto a kut-snake fender assembly? This is a 1997 80 series by the way. Cheers.
49e26461-43f8-40da-9fbe-954094c6e806.jpg

I have thought about buying a cheap set on eBay and modifying them to make them fit. I think the kutsnake flares will work with the factory style flaps but I’m just not sure how well the lines will match up. I recently found an 80 for sale on Craigslist that looked pretty much identical to mine. It had kutsnake flares and what looked like factory flares. I’m thinking that I would need to figure out how to make the flares work with my Slee slider steps.

Here’s the rig I mentioned:

IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1482.jpeg
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg

My rig for comparison:

IMG_1334.jpeg

I have thought about buying a cheap set on eBay and modifying them to make them fit. I think the kutsnake flares will work with the factory style flaps but I’m just not sure how well the lines will match up. I recently found an 80 for sale on Craigslist that looked pretty much identical to mine. It had kutsnake flares and what looked like factory flares. I’m thinking that I would need to figure out how to make the flares work with my Slee slider steps.

Here’s the rig I mentioned:

View attachment 3486375View attachment 3486376View attachment 3486377View attachment 3486378
My rig for comparison:

View attachment 3486379
Thanks for posting!!! Woah that guy sure got it down. Not sure those are factory mud flaps he used, though (?). I actually have a full set of factory mud flaps from my other LC ('91 80HZJ), spent hours playing around but there is *no way* to make 'em work with the kut-snakes on my '97 HDJ80. And I can relate to the added challenge of your side steps, not to mention wrap around rear bumper on my '97 HDJ80. I'll post of I get any nearer to cracking this. It's a bit surprising that Kut-Snake doesn't make mudflats actually, since their flares are so popular on lifted trucks and those will surely suffer from excessive backsplash like I do.

Thanks for posting!!! Woah that guy sure got it down. Not sure those are factory mud flaps he used, though (?). I actually have a full set of factory mud flaps from my other LC ('91 80HZJ), spent hours playing around but there is *no way* to make 'em work with the kut-snakes on my '97 HDJ80. And I can relate to the added challenge of your side steps, not to mention wrap around rear bumper on my '97 HDJ80. I'll post of I get any nearer to cracking this. It's a bit surprising that Kut-Snake doesn't make mudflats actually, since their flares are so popular on lifted trucks and those will surely suffer from excessive backsplash like I do.
Sorry lots of irritating autocorrect typos in there!

No worries. I’m not sure that the flaps from your 91 are the right ones to use. I remember being told that there are some differences in the 91-92 flares, and the 93-94 flares, and I’m pretty sure the 95-97 are all the same. I had an oem set from a 95 that I was going to use but the holes were in pretty bad shape. They fit on the rear pretty closely but I decided I wanted to try a set from eBay but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have the factory rear bumper and plastics though.
Let me know if you find something that works.

No worries. I’m not sure that the flaps from your 91 are the right ones to use. I remember being told that there are some differences in the 91-92 flares, and the 93-94 flares, and I’m pretty sure the 95-97 are all the same. I had an oem set from a 95 that I was going to use but the holes were in pretty bad shape. They fit on the rear pretty closely but I decided I wanted to try a set from eBay but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have the factory rear bumper and plastics though.
Let me know if you find something that works.
You were right, '93-'97 flaps are a bit different from pre-'93 ones (not just the hole pattern). Just ordered them, wish me luck.

You were right, '93-'97 flaps are a bit different from pre-'93 ones (not just the hole pattern). Just ordered them, wish me luck.
What did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom