Kumars new Sliders! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

of? :flipoff2:

Those sliders, as well as everything we build, is all welded with flux core.

OK, OK, not your garden variety flux core. It's called Tri-7 and is a special form of flux core you use with gas.

It gives penetration unlike anything I've ever used and the welds kind of flow, like a braze, rather than the normal stack-of-dimes.

newconstructpics006.jpg

The flux in the wire makes for a super clean weld, with no impurities from the steel.

Last edited:
Those are some purdy welds.

I want a 210v Mig bad! But in order to afford one im gonna have to start charging real prices for ginger fab.

I know flux aint ideal and I warn everyone before I do work that I use flux. But honestly I love it, Ive never had one of my 110v flux core welds break, and my entire cage, armor, x-members, and suspension are all 110v flux, and ive been beating on them for years in a heavy truck. If you know what your doing (prep, right settings) they do pretty well. And they are hot as hell and get pretty good penetration. They suck on sheet! but I did just use mine to weld 22ga to break line. :lol:

This is about as nice as I can get a flux core weld from my $350 Lincoln 110v. Before I hit it with a wire wheel to get rid of the typical flux core splatter...

549943185_fj43_cage_026.jpg

Those are some purdy welds.

I want a 210v Mig bad! But in order to afford one im gonna have to start charging real prices for ginger fab.

I know flux aint ideal and I warn everyone before I do work that I use flux. But honestly I love it, Ive never had one of my 110v flux core welds break, and my entire cage, armor, x-members, and suspension are all 110v flux, and ive been beating on them for years in a heavy truck. If you know what your doing (prep, right settings) they do pretty well. And they are hot as hell and get pretty good penetration. They suck on sheet! but I did just use mine to weld 22ga to break line. :lol:

This is about as nice as I can get a flux core weld from my $350 Lincoln 110v. Before I hit it with a wire wheel to get rid of the typical flux core splatter...

549943185_fj43_cage_026.jpg
Very nice, especially for flux core with a 110V.
I use a baby Lincoln for welding body panels.

Try using a little anti-splatter on your material. It's da' bomb!

Roxstar, is that Flux Core you use from Hobart Brothers? It seems that I have a few welding supply houses here that stock it.

Last edited:
Try using a little anti-splatter on your material. It's da' bomb!

Roxstar, is that Flux Core you use from Hobart Brothers? It seems that I have a few welding supply houses here that stock it.
The stuff I use is made by Tri-Mark. It's pricy and might be overkill for this stuff but hey, overkill works. :cool:

One earlier comment I wanted to address was the use of 4X3 tubing.
The main reason I went with this size is the frame mounting arms.
3" tall tube allowed me to tuck it under the pinch seam and still use 2X2 for my frame mounts.
I feel anything less than 2"X 2"X 1/4" for the mounting arms would seriously compromise strength.

I have to admit, when I first looked at the tube on the bench it looked huge. However, when it was placed under the truck the size looked just right.

One earlier comment I wanted to address was the use of 4X3 tubing.
The main reason I went with this size is the frame mounting arms.
3" tall tube allowed me to tuck it under the pinch seam and still use 2X2 for my frame mounts.
I feel anything less than 2"X 2"X 1/4" for the mounting arms would seriously compromise strength.

I have to admit, when I first looked at the tube on the bench it looked huge. However, when it was placed under the truck the size looked just right.

Do you mean "tuck it" on the outside of the pinch weld to get it close to the rocker?

2x2x.250 are the heaviest duty slider mounting arms ive ever heard of. Mine are 1.75x.120 DOM round tube. BTW, what do these weigh?

Do you mean "tuck it" on the outside of the pinch weld to get it close to the rocker?
Exactly

2x2x.250 are the heaviest duty slider mounting arms ive ever heard of. Mine are 1.75x.120 DOM round tube. BTW, what do these weigh?
Are we talking about the same arms?
I mean the arm that runs from the frame mount to the slider.
These have to support half the weight of a +6000# truck with up to a 14" lever arm.
I may tend to error on the side of overbuilding but I wouldn't consider using anything less.

With .120" wall, I have no doubt your sliders are being pushed up into the body sill panel.

Are we talking about the same arms?

Yuppers

With .120" wall, I have no doubt your sliders are being pushed up into the body sill panel

Yuppers, they have touched, never damaged though due to the huge amount of weight distribution, and the strength of the body in that area. Ive missed the brake pedal before and literally free fallen 3ft onto the slider in rocks (hurt, and my dog ate the dash from the back seat :lol: )

Im not attacking your design...I like over kill... But, Ill bet money that these sliders will also contact the rocker on the 80, it wont damage the rocker, but if it ever does get wheeled hard it'll hit.

Hey now, I do what I can. I still have to drive home, and I don't like limping.

Hey now, I do what I can. I still have to drive home, and I don't like limping.

You know....yeah your right.... If you dont trailer you do need to take it easy.

Ive been doing it wrong! So has Joe, Ron, Tony, darryl, Eric, Jeremy, and everyone else at some point in time. :lol:

:flipoff2:

no. "darryl", pisses Darrell off! I like him pissed off....he starts wrenching like a maniac and replacing good parts. Its good camp entertainment.

no. "darryl", pisses Darrell off! I like him pissed off....he starts wrenching like a maniac and replacing good parts. Its good camp entertainment.
Does his "other brother Darryl" spell it the same way?

DayReal

Ha, that's freaking awesome :grinpimp:

When I went to college all I knew about my roommate in the dorms was that his name was Eddie and all he knew about me was that my name was Darrell. When I opened the door he was some huge black dude - first thing he said to me was "damn, with a name like Darrell I thought you were a brother". I told him with a name Like Eddie I thought you were gonna be a white guy. We got along great though. I gave him his first bong hit and he taught me about strong-arm robbery. Ahh, good times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom