Kokopelli Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kent

Pedal Head
SILVER Star
Threads
Posted this in chit chat and no response. Maybe they are all web wheelers :lol:

Anyone done this trail? I know it is popular for mtn bikers but I was looking to do it in an 80. The info I looked up seemed to suggest at least most of it could be done in a vehicle but there were some questionable areas. I don't know if the author is referring to a typical 4x4 or a well built 80 when they say it is not doable by a vehicle in some sections.

Anyone know more about this trail?

How about more suggestions for expedition trips in Utah? We have been on White Rim and Hole in the Rock trail. I know there is more out there...

Kent

the Kokopelli trail can be done in an 80.

go to Expedition Utah for an answer to all your questions. They have trip reports from the kokopelli and hundreds of other trails. Requires a sign up, but totally worth it.

Edit: from pulling up one of the trip reports, it looks like it can probably be done in a stock 80. The reason that it can't be done completely is because in some spots it is singletrack (for bikes), but there are bypasses.

Last edited:
Thanks I will check them out!

most of the Kokopelli MTB Trail, the parts that are on roads, is on graded Forest Service roads, ie a Honda Accord could do it...

I would suggest the Lockhart Canyon trail to you. It is a spur that goes off of Utah Hwy 211 (Indian Creek & main entry point for Canyonlands NP), and cuts north through Hamburger Rock. It ends up basically in the town of Moab. A good bit 2wd (aboout 1/2) and then mostly mild wheeling. I did it in a stock '84 Hilux.

There is one section though...on my Nat. Geo. Canyonlands NP map it said something like "very steep and narrow." or "extreme" or something. If you travel from south to north like I did, you will be descending that section. put it this way: it took me 3 hours to go 3 miles (i was by myself and had no spotter). There were times when one wheel was on the bedrock side of the canyon, and the other tire was on top of a 3 foot tall rock. My trans. was easily 5 feet off the ground a few times. High pucker factor during that time.

Then it eventually comes next to the Colorado River, and at the end, you get to literally crawl up a 3000 foot vertical section of red rock Canyonlands to the top of Hurrah Pass. There are a bunch of switchbacks, and in most (but not all) spots, there is enough room for 2 rigs to pass each other.

Bring extra gas with you...I ended up at a gas station in Moab with less than 3/4 of a gallon of gas in the tank!:eek:

About 80 miles of dirt, i did it over 2 or 3 days.

Also, check out the 2WD roads that go over and through the La Sal Mtns. There are some great views to be had into Canyonlands and back over to the San Juan Mtns in Colorado. Also lots of great camping and some lakes for fishing...

I will definitely second that the Canyonlands are spectacular for light wheeling. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and a chance to get quite a ways from some of the bustle that you find more and more around Moab

Thanks we will look into this too. I figured the Kokopeli would be mostly mild but thought it might be a more interesting way into Moab. We have been in Canyonlands several times it is great for mild wheeling.

Thanks for the info!

Kent

whent with Woody and the trail team in my 100

I have done bits and peices and have had a blast. I have not compleated the stretch from Cisco, UT to Dewey Bridge. From Rabit Valley, CO to cisco is fun and not difficult if dry. If it rains you could be in trouble. I had to camp out and wait for the trail to dry out this past spring, could have done it with a winch. The Dome plateu if great fun and some what chalenging in spots. The gas rigs are annoying. Go for it- even a stock 80 should walk over it. I drive an 87 60- ome lift, 33" superswampers.

This is a very nice and mellow trail. The hardest part is going down the Rose Garden hill; otherwise, very scenic trail. We ran the trail from beginning to end and everyone enjoyed it. Lots of MTBs in the beginning but they all petered out as we went deeper into the trail.

Depending on the time of the year, you may encounter snow at the higher elevations so be prepared for it.

Have a great time.

Yep-Did the trail with Ali and had a great time. 3-4 days worth. There are some significant ledges and drops, and I'd say borderline in a stock truck. A modest set up with a standard OME lift and 33 inch tires will work well.

Rose Garden Hill is the only significant tough spot, and it's down hill which makes it much easier.

Be careful about the route finding. I remember a very narrow and dangerous shelf/canyon that we could have avoided if we had followed the GPS track, and not the faded signage after the Colorado River crossing.

Be careful about the route finding. I remember a very narrow and dangerous shelf/canyon that we could have avoided if we had followed the GPS track, and not the faded signage after the Colorado River crossing.

Although that shelf road was fun. Trouble was, once you got to the narrow part you were definitely committed and could not turn back. I think we were 8 rigs at that point and we all made it safely through.

Although that shelf road was fun. Trouble was, once you got to the narrow part you were definitely committed and could not turn back. I think we were 8 rigs at that point and we all made it safely through.

It really helped to have those cool waffle boards for the crossing.

Yes and being the first across made me very nervous. It didn't help that the cliff side was washed out and crumbling.

Now the climbs leading to that point were some of the most fun of the trip. But that spot is simply not safe.

Went down the trail in my 08 Cruiser. It destroyed 2 OME shocks but they were 8 years old. An 80 series will do just fine just make sure that everything on your rig is up to date and perform constant vehicle checks.

I plan on running this trail in July of 18 with a few other 200's. I appreciate any tips such as killer campsites and or stay away from spots. gonna try to make this a two day one night trip. Ordered the kokopelli book from amazon a few days ago and have loaded the links suggested above for reading later on.
thanks

I plan on running this trail in July of 18 with a few other 200's. I appreciate any tips such as killer campsites and or stay away from spots. gonna try to make this a two day one night trip. Ordered the kokopelli book from amazon a few days ago and have loaded the links suggested above for reading later on.
thanks

Not sure how done up your 200's are or what the abilities of your spotters are. With that said, the final section and somewhat "unofficial" end to the trail is the 1/4mile descent down Rose Garden Hill. We ran two 80's, two 4runners, and one long bed Taco through it. It took the better part of 5 hours in order to stack enough rocks to get the smaller rigs through without damage. The amount of spotting required was mentally exhausting.

The two 80 series handled it with no problems but they are on 315's and fully armored. Even so I had multiple strikes to my rocker guards on the lower portion of the trail. I'm sure your rigs will make it to the bottom. But with IFS you will definitely have some on 2 wheel moments and there is a good chance of rocker damage unless your armored, have excellent spotters, or are willing to stack some fairly large rocks.

Once down you have another section of trail with lots of close in scrub brush. The reward at the end of this is lower onion creek road. There are some campsites there. The drive back toward Moab from here is spectacular.

I appreciate the heads up. Not positive on rig builds attending yet so we may hit rose garden hill or skip it if theres a bypass. Ill check into these campsites you mentioned. Thank you again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom