knuckle rebuild suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am in the middle of a complete rebuild of my landcruiser and before i start on the steering arms/etc, i want to go through the entire front axle and rebuild everything. i know some folks on here have said it is an easy job (just messy) and even suggest a birfield party to get together and do several at once. however, my rig is not driveable (it is just a frame with a rear axle at this point), and because of the 40-jillion other projects i am in the middle of, i was hoping to have the knuckle rebuild done by someone else.

can anyone tell me of a good shop in town that will do a good job? or, better yet, is there an experienced cruiserhead out there that would be willing to take on the job? i will supply the complete rebuild kit, but i dont know anything about bearing preload or felt wipers or anything. if anybody has the desire or the time and wouldnt mind making a little side cash, email me or PM me and we can work out the details. if nobody is interested, i could still use those suggestions for a good local shop.

thanks guys.

matt-

I'd really try to dive into a rebuild by yourself. Wait until you have trouble to ask questions. It's just dirty not hard.

I would:
clean-
take hubs w/o the bearings, spindles, knuckle castings and arms down to an auto machine shop and have them "hot tank" degreased. You do not want to cook all the old grease out of bearings, just try to massage new grease in.

buy the few tools you need-
As has been said millions of times before, you need a 54mm hub socket, a scale to weight fish (hook type) with range 5 pounds to 15 pounds, a 3/4" brass punch (flat end, no taper) then standard tools with torque wrench.

typical problem-
if you have trouble with cone washers, add Nuts Off aka PB Blaster solvent and place brass rod (punch) on stud after nut is removed. Hit with hammer, repeat....

!!!!!!!!!
most important, keep the bottom shims segregated by side. These have calculated the center of the spindle vs birfield ---don't mess this up.

Top shims adjust preload, skip all the crap about the SST measurement nightmare. I go toward the high side (11 pounds) on the top arm. Torwue the arm down, stick the "fish scale" in tie rod hole, pull. It should read 11#'s +/-. Do this without the wipers bolted to back (eight 10mm head bolts hold these on)

...and as for a party, sorry but most people can think of any reason to get out of this job (and spring lifts). Rebuilds of Diff's, or Transmissions are worthy of education, springs and knuckle jobs are for $3/hour laborers.

cruiseroutfitters or liquidoffroad have the best prices on kits. the "half moon" rings for the back of the knuckle (these bolt wipers on) can be had aftermarket far cheaper than Dealer.

Depending on what you have I may be able to help. I don't know if you have a 40 or an 80 but me and Kyle need to do a rebuild on our 80s, if you have a 40 I have two axels sitting here if you wanna bring yours and we'll work on it together or whatever that's cool with me. You're welcome to call me if you want as well...

I have a 76 FJ40 that needs knuckle rebuild also. If a group gets together I would be interested.. I'd like to do my soon. I have never done one and I think will probably need some assistance....I'll keep my eye on this thread.....

Lets pick a time and place so I can order my knuckle and hub rebuild kits. I want do get it done so I can have a good winter cruisin....

I have the Birf. DVD, the 54mm and a few other handy tools. At my house I have air tools and mostly anything we'd need but no pavment.. I need to order parts for mine so let's just plan a little in advance...

where to get items hot tanked

well, if we are gonna do this, i guess i better start preparing. can anybody give me the name of a couple of places in phoenix to get stuff hot tanked? and before you say "any machine shop can do it" - i would rather go somewhere that someone else has used and can recommend. thanks guys - maybe i will tackle this after all.

on a different but related topic - how hard is a complete rebuild of the transfer case? it just seems like there are a tons of little bearings and seals and probably requires a bunch of special tools. i have the rebuild kit sitting here, but the transfer case is just sitting there staring at me like a big grungy beast daring me to tear into it, only to never ever be able to get it back together correctly again.

mattcrandle said:
well, if we are gonna do this, i guess i better start preparing. can anybody give me the name of a couple of places in phoenix to get stuff hot tanked? and before you say "any machine shop can do it" - i would rather go somewhere that someone else has used and can recommend. thanks guys - maybe i will tackle this after all.

on a different but related topic - how hard is a complete rebuild of the transfer case? it just seems like there are a tons of little bearings and seals and probably requires a bunch of special tools. i have the rebuild kit sitting here, but the transfer case is just sitting there staring at me like a big grungy beast daring me to tear into it, only to never ever be able to get it back together correctly again.

If you're on the east side, B&B machine can "vat" your stuff.

Rebuiling a T-case isn't too hard if you have the Toyota manual and a few proper tools. A press, calipers, pull scale and there are a couple of SST's that can be improvised.

Tools R Us said:
Sounds good, how many kits shipped to one location do we need to be a Group discount, mixed 40 & 80 type?

Buy 3 or more kits and I will give you $10 off per kit, any kits I stock (all of the Landcruiser ones :D)

LMK

That looks like a good deal, $80 for drum FJ40, $77 for FJ40/55/60 62 & 79'-85' Mini Truck and $101 for the FJ80, all Include trunnion bearings. How many sets for free freight to one business address?

If my axle is coming apart new gears are going in, how many sets for a group buy discount on the same deal. FJ80 rear set is the same as FJ40/55/60? Do you have solid sleeves for the FJ80 pinion?

I'm in for a complete FJ40 kit if there's a buy going on.

Tools R Us said:
That looks like a good deal, $80 for drum FJ40, $77 for FJ40/55/60 62 & 79'-85' Mini Truck and $101 for the FJ80, all Include trunnion bearings. How many sets for free freight to one business address?

Since I love clubs... 3 or more, free shipping :D

If my axle is coming apart new gears are going in, how many sets for a group buy discount on the same deal. FJ80 rear set is the same as FJ40/55/60? Do you have solid sleeves for the FJ80 pinion?

A couple sets of the same thing and I will hook you up... what ratio gears are you putting in the rear? I stock the 4.88's and usually the 4.56's (I am out of the 4.56 as of today, but I have more coming). And I don't have any of the solid sleeves.

I would like to get in on this also. I have a front end out of a 78 FJ40 that is going to go under my 68. I want to rebuild it before I install though. Might not need it, but I might as well since it is out.

status?

so what is the status of the group buy? looks like Kurt is willing to give us a deal if we can get our stuff together and work out the details on this end. i would be in for one knuckle rebuild kit for an early fj40 for sure. looks like Tools R Us, Cdaniel, and woodsfj40 are also in, which is enough for the discount. i know some of us are in phoenix and some are in tucson, so we will have to figure out the shipping arrangements if we want the 'free shipping to one address' deal.

i gotta get moving on this, so anybody else that is in post here and i will volunteer to be the contact person.

I am in.

As for the shipping, if one of the Phoenix guys would be willing to hold onto it for a little while, I can pick it up. I work in Phoenix a couple times a month. I also have co-workers in Phoenix that could pick it up for me if needed.

I am in for 1 kit for 76 FJ40 (front disc) Does this whole kit include new knuckle and wheel bearings? I want to replace all bearings. Let me know when and who to pay and how much. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom