Knuckle Rebuid Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Many of you helped me out before when I had a birfield explode on me. I'm finally in the process of rebuilding the knuckle and putting in a new axle and birf. While taking everything apart I noticed this ring inside the axle housing between the knuckle and the diff. See attached pic. At first I thought it was part of the seal inside the knuckle, but it appears to be too big to come out of that hole. Anyone have an idea of what this is? What do I need to do with it? In the picture I'm holding onto it with a curved pick. It's a picture through the axle shaft hole in the knuckle. Some of the scuffs are from where the birfield pieces clunked around. I've sanded them all smooth.

Thank you for all your help!!
Kent
IMG_4860.jpg

it's a guide for the axle to slide through to help get it into the diff, some will say attempt to weld it, I crushed it and pulled it out, up to you.

If it were mine, I would tack weld it back in.

So, now you have opinions on both.

It is to help protect the rubber seal for the axle shaft as you slide the axle into the housing. It will support the weight of the axle rather than it being too much on the seal and tearing the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom