knuckle centering ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received my 12" digital.calipers.I have been waiting for, so.start the knuckle centering. I have the FSM in front of me, I've read a large number of threads on the matter. Seemed fairly simple to me, I thought there was no way I.was going to be making this post.

Left A:167.58mm B:165.1mm C:2.48mm
Right A:167.59mm B:165.2mm C:2.39mm

Total shim thickness is.within .2mm of the shims I removed. Though I saved and marked the old shims they are going back on a different axle.housing, so I thought it would.be prudent to measure everything.

All above seems fine, however the two scribe lines on the tool (one from the housing the other from the spindle) are right on top of each other. There is no gap to measure to find top and bottom shim thickness.

New spindle bushings, and I did not flip the tool orientation, threaded end is on the bottom. The axle housing is a cut and turned SOA housing from Proffit's, the knuckles from an 82 mini truck

ForumRunner_20120907_154042.jpg
ForumRunner_20120907_154042.jpg

Your numbers look good. Make sure right knuckle is for right side of axle and left for left side. You may not have flipped the tool but check to see that the knuckle is in the same orientation as it will be installed. Esentially the rod is scribed while tilted in one direction and then scribed when tilted in the other direction. The lines will not be on top of the other.
I know it seems basic, but, keep the knuckle in the same orientation.
You should get a number somewhere in the 4mm range (I hesitate to pick a number so don't be too hard on me).

Good to hear. We have all been temporary members of the moron club. Try to avoid a life membership.
See ya on the trail!

I've been following along, what were you doing wrong, or what did you do different.

I was putting the arm, for the fish scale, on the fixed end of the tool rather than the side with the nut. So when I transferred the tool to the knuckle, without the arm, it ensured there was a difference in the vertical position of the arm when moving from housing to knuckle. If I had left the arm in the same place when I scribed the knuckle side all would have been well.

IIRC Measurements we 4.00mm and 4.10mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom