KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@cruzerDave , congrats on the new shop! I just found this thread and am really interested. But I have a family of 5 and use at least one of the rear seats quite frequently (removing it only for off-road adventures).

So I saw the photo @Fisher67's half drawer setup for room for his dog carrier and thought half a drawer would be perfect for my uses as it seems it could be more easily installed and removed than the full setup. Would this be correct? If so, would it be possible to purchase a "driver's side only" kit?
I am going to revamp the solo setup, so yes you will be able to buy a drawer + a 'driver's side kit'. Actually, you will be able to buy a 2 or 3 drawer side setup if you want, but shhhh, don't tell anyone. And AFTER I get set up in the new shop of course ;)

I just used the short wood screws that came with the Ltrack. I bought the kit so they we're included. Short enough to not go through and I just made sure I oriented the holes away from the Allen bolts of the drawer system

They sit perfectly flush with the pre drilled holes in the L track

I just used the short wood screws that came with the Ltrack. I bought the kit so they we're included. Short enough to not go through and I just made sure I oriented the holes away from the Allen bolts of the drawer system

They sit perfectly flush with the pre drilled holes in the L track
Thanks- do you have a link?

I had considered drilling down through the slotted channel and through bolting. Wood screws seem way easier, so you feel that the wood screws provide a strong enough bite/connection to hold what ever you have tied down should there be a sudden shift- stop-accident?

Thanks- do you have a link?

I had considered drilling down through the slotted channel and through bolting. Wood screws seem way easier, so you feel that the wood screws provide a strong enough bite/connection to hold what ever you have tied down should there be a sudden shift- stop-accident?

Absolutely feel they are sturdy enough. There are like 10 on each L track

Not to say it won't work, but I personally don't trust wood screws to hold the aviation track down if anything significant is strapped to it. I think I'd run through-bolts if space permitted, or T-nuts and short bolts if space isn't as friendly.

Amazon product ASIN B01MSVU3WF

Not to say it won't work, but I personally don't trust wood screws to hold the aviation track down if anything significant is strapped to it. I think I'd run through-bolts if space permitted, or T-nuts and short bolts if space isn't as friendly.

Amazon product ASIN B01MSVU3WF
Agree- These came to mind when I was at HD looking at hardware options today- thanks for the suggestion thats a much better price than HD.

Agree- These came to mind when I was at HD looking at hardware options today- thanks for the suggestion thats a much better price than HD.

Make sure the tnut dimensions match the slotted profile dimensions, as there are a whole lot of different types of aluminum extrusions with varying dimensions!

The T nuts I linked simply go in the bottom side of the plywood top. Run your bolt/screw from the top through the track, through the plywood and into the nut. As long as you select the proper length bolt, everything is flush on the bottom side of the wood top.

They are not the type of nut that fits inside the extrusion, and are therefore not limited only to locations where the extruded frame is.

Quick googled pic for reference:
4Zc0E.jpg

Guys - Finished up my install this past weekend.
The passenger side received the Viair constant duty kit and tank.
Hello @BigRogers79 - if you're still around I have a couple questions. I am considering a compressor install similar to yours (tank underneath in old spare location for me though). How is the compressor noise inside the cab? And in general how is the ViAir Constant setup performing for you? Is it just for tires or tools or lockers? I really love this idea and rarely use the side space on my KISS drawers.

Cheers,
rjones

...Ryobi system...
Nice find. Thanks for the tip.

What is the story on those nylon pull handles/tabs? I think that's exactly what I didn't know I wanted. They look pretty low-profile and No Rattles!!

Cheers,
rjones

Not trying to be a jerk guys, but Dave is a SMALL business. From what I understand, he is trying to move his shop to grow his business. Please be respectful.

Mine are done, finally. Here is iteration one, already thinking about mods after the first successful weekend testing it out.

I called/emailed several paint companies - Olympic (PPG), Rustoleum, Behr - and asked them what product would have the best combination of abrasion resistance, off-gassing/VOC/smell, water resistance, and every single one of them steered me toward water-based finishes. In the end I chose glossy Behr interior/exterior porch & patio floor paint color-matched to the trim. I think they came out great! Bought a 46x93 anti-fatigue foam mat to throw on top.

View attachment 1725423

This is the exact look i was thinking. this looks really clean and nice. great job whitenoise....How much paint did you go through to paint the whole thing? inside out!! Thank you for your time.

Finally finished installing this weekend. @cruzerDave has done a great job with this kit and includes very detailed instructions. I did have a little problem with installation... my passenger side trim panels are not in correct alignment so the wing will require some customization. (EDIT - Problem is with the Land Cruiser plastic trim panel in the cargo area NOT with Dave's design. Sorry that was not clear.) Dave's design pretty self centers so there was not enough wiggle room keep the trim panels from rubbing on the passenger side. BUT I plan on modifying that side for a camp kitchen later this summer so it is no big deal and could have been solved with basic woodworking tools. Still need to put a satin poly on but will wait until said work is complete!

Minwax Slate Gray stain with rubber topper. The handles were placed a little lower as they wedge against tailgate "ramp" to help keep things from moving around. May not be necessary but also keeps the pulls a little more inline with the slides.
IMG_1902_zpswg5xgolx.jpg

And enough rubber left to line drawers!

IMG_1903_zps0qlullcl.jpg

I had considered building my own and I am glad that I did not. The extruded framework alone is worth the price as it keeps the whole drawer set lighter than if it was all wood. As Dave says... this kit is just the beginning of your custom drawer build! But if you don't want to take it that far it seems like the best low cost option... and that is why I gave it a shot!

Dave, can't wait to meet you in person at HIH and buy you a beer!

Tom
looking good od4x4. I like the way you used extra rubber inside the drawers. what size rubber matt did you buy to cover the top and drawers? Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom