KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to keep my drawers and try my luck with a fridge. I went with a temporary 1/2 inch sheet of birch plywood to try and keep as much of the design's structural integrity. If I change my mind, 30 min. and it's back to original.
I decided to attached to the fridge drawer slides front to back (buying extra piece of slide) so that they support it 100% open to close (avoid deflection) and completely stabilize when driving.

View attachment 1490354
Hello there. I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to convert from a flat-platform (80% of the time) to a floor-level fridge slide (20% of the time). Your setup seems almost perfect. I'd just look for a way that the cutout panel could drop into position when needed. How has this setup performed over time? Any issue with fridge ventilation or drawer stability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello there. I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to convert from a flat-platform (80% of the time) to a floor-level fridge slide (20% of the time). Your setup seems almost perfect. I'd just look for a way that the cutout panel could drop into position when needed. How has this setup performed over time? Any issue with fridge ventilation or drawer stability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello. What you have in mind can easily be done. Almost like the undermounted cutting boards but added top to make it flush (hard for me to describe).
This system worked great for me and proper ventilation was not a problem. I had contacted Dave for extra slide material so the entire drawer was always within the guides while fully extended. I sold it to a local mudder since my needs were different. PM me and I can try to better explain. HTH

Finally got the drawer pulls installed. Used door pulls out of a Porsche 911 RS. Very happy with how they look and how they open the drawers.

IMG_2158.jpg

I think my next step is raising the platform just a bit so I can have a fully plywood sleeping platform which hinges out. I plan on using some more 80/20 which extends out and has legs, so I can have a sleeping platform with or without second row seats. I can then prolly stow a camp table and a kitchen counter in the new space above the drawers...more to follow.

Last edited:
Wish I thought of that. Brilliant!

Did you end up getting any compensation for this? How was this issue resolved?

No compensation was needed, desired, or pursued. Nothing was visible once the drawers were completely assembled, nor was the structure affected in even the most miniscule way. I ended up coating the inside of the drawers with a few coats of epoxy so they are completely water/leak-proof, put seven coats of marine varnish on the drawer fronts, and three coats of poly on the top and other surfaces. They look and work GREAT. Never realized how inconvenient it was to have to root around in a large open space for a specific item until I had these drawers in the vehicle. Been on a couple trips, and even for day-to-day grocery shopping or business, they are extremely useful. Bravo, Dave.

No compensation was needed, desired, or pursued. Nothing was visible once the drawers were completely assembled, nor was the structure affected in even the most miniscule way. I ended up coating the inside of the drawers with a few coats of epoxy so they are completely water/leak-proof, put seven coats of marine varnish on the drawer fronts, and three coats of poly on the top and other surfaces. They look and work GREAT. Never realized how inconvenient it was to have to root around in a large open space for a specific item until I had these drawers in the vehicle. Been on a couple trips, and even for day-to-day grocery shopping or business, they are extremely useful. Bravo, Dave.
That's what I like to hear. Just ordered a set.

Hello. What you have in mind can easily be done. Almost like the undermounted cutting boards but added top to make it flush (hard for me to describe).
This system worked great for me and proper ventilation was not a problem. I had contacted Dave for extra slide material so the entire drawer was always within the guides while fully extended. I sold it to a local mudder since my needs were different. PM me and I can try to better explain. HTH

That's good to hear. Thank you for replying. After further deliberation, I decided to go with the AluCab tilting fridge slide. It'll solve the issue fridge accessibility and I think it'll be easy enough to remove the slide when I want to go back to a flat platform. Also, it'll be nice to have two drawers full-time for storage.

That's good to hear. Thank you for replying. After further deliberation, I decided to go with the AluCab tilting fridge slide. It'll solve the issue fridge accessibility and I think it'll be easy enough to remove the slide when I want to go back to a flat platform. Also, it'll be nice to have two drawers full-time for storage.
The AluCab tilting fridge slide + KISS drawers is an awesome combo. You'll love it.

The AluCab tilting fridge slide + KISS drawers is an awesome combo. You'll love it.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Do you have any advice about how to mount the slide? I'm thinking four t-nuts and the shortest workable bolts, but I'd love to hear what actual setup has worked. I'd love to find a quick-release setup a la the Tembo Tusk "docking station" for their non-tilting slides, but that option doesn't seem to exist for other slides. Anyway, removing four bolts wont' be a big deal.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Do you have any advice about how to mount the slide? I'm thinking four t-nuts and the shortest workable bolts, but I'd love to hear what actual setup has worked. I'd love to find a quick-release setup a la the Tembo Tusk "docking station" for their non-tilting slides, but that option doesn't seem to exist for other slides. Anyway, removing four bolts wont' be a big deal.
Basically, I did what you described...t-nuts and bolts...except I used about 10-12 with washers and locking washers. I think a couple important things to check before drilling any holes would be that the slide is not touching the top edge of the drawer when it's in the tilt position. But it also needs to be back far enough for the tailgate to close, obviously. Just a couple millimeters of a gap should work fine. The other is that it's far enough away from the wing so that you can still tilt it up...assuming you have some sort of hinge.
The one downside to the AluCab slide in my opinion is how you secure the fridge to the slide. It's a total pain and you'll never want to undo it once you get it secure. I'm thinking about trying out the ARB tie down system. Hope this helps a little and let me know if you have any other questions.

Basically, I did what you described...t-nuts and bolts...except I used about 10-12 with washers and locking washers. I think a couple important things to check before drilling any holes would be that the slide is not touching the top edge of the drawer when it's in the tilt position. But it also needs to be back far enough for the tailgate to close, obviously. Just a couple millimeters of a gap should work fine. The other is that it's far enough away from the wing so that you can still tilt it up...assuming you have some sort of hinge.
The one downside to the AluCab slide in my opinion is how you secure the fridge to the slide. It's a total pain and you'll never want to undo it once you get it secure. I'm thinking about trying out the ARB tie down system. Hope this helps a little and let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah, I've heard that threading the long ratchet strap under the AluCab slide is a pain in the neck. I wonder if using two short ratchet straps would be secure enough. Do you think it'd be possible to install/uninstall the slide while the fridge is attached? It seems like the bolt heads could be exposed by sliding the fridge forward, but that may just be asking for trouble. It'd be a two-person job at any rate.

I ordered the solo drawer middle of last month and am getting excited about how to install it and how I can also use it as a sleeping platform. I was curious if the drawer face for the solo could be exchanged for the driver side drawer face from the full set, which would close off the semi circle that is covered by the wing? Think I would prefer this if possible. Was also hoping you could send install and anchoring sheet, so I can start to think about the options there.

Was also looking at it last night and wonder if I could add a thicker wall on the passenger side of the drawer and mount a hi-lift bracket? Hi-Lift might be too long for the space?

Thanks,

Todd

Yeah, I've heard that threading the long ratchet strap under the AluCab slide is a pain in the neck. I wonder if using two short ratchet straps would be secure enough. Do you think it'd be possible to install/uninstall the slide while the fridge is attached? It seems like the bolt heads could be exposed by sliding the fridge forward, but that may just be asking for trouble. It'd be a two-person job at any rate.
You can definitely remove the slide portion with the fridge attached, it's heavy but totally doable by yourself. The base of the slide will still be attached to the drawers so this wouldn't allow for a completely flat surface.

Did you possibly consider this tilt fridge slide from DFG? I am torn between the Alu Cab and the DFG.

Last edited:
You can definitely remove the slide portion with the fridge attached, it's heavy but totally doable by yourself. The base of the slide will still be attached to the drawers so this wouldn't allow for a completely flat surface.

Interesting. I didn't realize the slide portion could detach from the base. In that case, maybe the fridge can stay permanently strapped in.

Did you possibly consider this tilt fridge slide from DFG? I am torn between the Alu Cab and the DFG.

I did run across the DFG slides during my research phase. It looks like it'd get the job done and it's less expensive and USA made. But at the end of the day, I settled on AluCab mostly because I've seen it in person and their products seem to be well regarded in general.

I did run across the DFG slides during my research phase. It looks like it'd get the job done and it's less expensive and USA made. But at the end of the day, I settled on AluCab mostly because I've seen it in person and their products seem to be well regarded in general.

Also, I liked the fact that the AluCab slide can be used without tilting, which means it can be used even when the drawer beneath it is open, or when the slide is floor mounted.

Also, I liked the fact that the AluCab slide can be used without tilting, which means it can be used even when the drawer beneath it is open, or when the slide is floor mounted.

I didn't realize this. Do you have another toggle to unlock the tilt feature? Thanks for the reply. I don't think that Alu Cab used to have a slide that fit the DFX75DW fridge that I have, but they do now. That is likely the product that I will buy as well. I feel like the resale value of the Alu Cab slide will likely be better due to more brand recognition as well;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom