KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished up my install today.
52950156_10110563307079831_1720166395259387904_n.jpg

52775097_10110563550242531_885884253735223296_o.jpg

52872346_10110563550531951_4915269627057012736_o.jpg

I used the UPOL Raptor roll on coating for the top and drawer faces. I also decided to coat/seal the bottoms of the drawers in case anything ever spilled it would stay in the drawer instead of leaking out.
52717535_10110563693181081_6258803287793860608_o.jpg

52845254_10110563693260921_2631953832979988480_o.jpg

52712795_10110564142281081_6321573234097520640_o.jpg

52875327_10110564142330981_8037318909713448960_o.jpg

52642893_10110564142630381_928874741769437184_o.jpg

52637196_10110564142730181_6222771269549424640_o.jpg

52596482_10110564143338961_7111091061799256064_o.jpg

Also put a radius on the front and back edges to keep them from getting to beat up.
53008437_10110564143663311_2464622907855208448_o.jpg

All in, this system is awesome and @CruiserDave did an excellent job designing and implementing the drawers (as can be attested by the numerous kits in the wild today). Cheers Dave.

This looks amazing. Well done sir!

Installed some Southco compression latches to keep the drawers nice 'n tight. Clockwise on one side and counter on the other. Just barely touch the plastic-gap-flap thing when the tailgate is closed, not enough to concern me but enough to point it out.

Cheers!
rjones

Sweet latches, and thank you for the videos! I'll add the PN's to the big customization page!

Getting caught up, sorry I've been away for a bit:
For God's sakes, get us the 60's version, Dave. Dying over here.
Ha...I agree on the 60s version. I ended up spending twice as much on a system. Would of loved to have tried these.
I'm working on it (all done in my head) and have a solid plan to get you guys drawered up this spring.

FYI, @cruzerDave, your security certificate for your website lapsed at 5am this morning.
Im seeing the same security warning. FYI
All fixed, but it was an SSL nightmare. For those concerned about purchasing know that I do NOT run my own e-commerce platform on my site, that takes an insane amount of time any more to stay secure & current - the days of SquirrelCart and ZenCart are over IMHO. What I do is use an embedded instance of Ecwid which has its own security. Even before Google forced everyone to go to https my shopping site was 100% secure, compliant, and your transactions were encrypted and safe. And now that the rest of the site is encrypted you can read the text about the drawers with the confidence that a hacker had not intercepted your session and tricked you into thinking, um, well, I have no idea why a hacker would ever spoof verbiage or images from my site but you can thank Google for not having to worry about it anyway...

So ... I like to keep my spare inside standing on end (strapped down) on driver's side. I've been looking at a lot of pictures. Would it be possible to shorten the width of this? In essence, I would have one short drawer (closest to tire) and one full size drawer (regular passenger side drawer. I know that shortening the top and drawer are 100% possible based on pictures. I am concerned on how I would manage the underside. Any ideas? Does this make sense?
KISS Drawers are intended to be your starting point to customize, so yes, what you describe is totally possible, encouraged, and shared with everyone. To shorten the underside your only concern would be if you came in further than the 3rd row brackets, since that is how the drawers secure to the truck. And that is VERY IMPORTANT for safety. I have drawers in so can not measure that, but if you put your tire in and look and can see the bracket- easy peasy. If the tire covers the bracket, you can still go this route but would need to use another anchoring method, such as turnbuckles into brackets for the babyseats or front cargo - would take some experimentation, bust should be doable.

That or as someone said - go with just one drawer?...

For those of you who used line-x/upol/raptor, did you apply it before assembling the drawers or after? Would you have done it differently in retrospect? Any tips?
I would think pre-applying this would cause fitment issues given how precise all of the cuts are. I intend to pre-assemble, roll on my Raptor, then disassemble to the extent necessary for installation in the truck.
This.
Tolerance in some places can be very tight, so applying to a full set then installing like @FLWookie did is the recommended method. (And BTW your set looks great!)

Installed my Dometic fridge slide. Found that the mount for the slide is exactly the same width as the drawer. This led to the bolt heads being struck by the rear metal vertical drawer supports. Sooooooo, I decided to do a little modification I've thought about for the past year. Basically, going to cut the rear drawer "wall" and vertical metal arms down approximately 1/2" to clear the bolts of the slide mount. Then, and this is the cool idea, I'm going to "shorten" the length of the drawer by 8". Once this is done, I'm going to mount my handgun safe to the back of the drawer so it can be accessed with the rear seat folded forward. NOBODY would ever think to look for the gunsafe mounted in that location. From the surface and even with the drawer pulled, it would look completely normal. I'll be posting pics later this week.

KISS Drawers are intended to be your starting point to customize, so yes, what you describe is totally possible, encouraged, and shared with everyone. To shorten the underside your only concern would be if you came in further than the 3rd row brackets, since that is how the drawers secure to the truck. And that is VERY IMPORTANT for safety. I have drawers in so can not measure that, but if you put your tire in and look and can see the bracket- easy peasy. If the tire covers the bracket, you can still go this route but would need to use another anchoring method, such as turnbuckles into brackets for the babyseats or front cargo - would take some experimentation, bust should be doable.

That or as someone said - go with just one drawer?...

Great info Dave. That answers my question. I will do some looking before placing an order.

I'm working on it (all done in my head) and have a solid plan to get you guys drawered up this spring.

As long as you are positive this will be coming this spring, I will hold off on buying from an overpriced competitor when I really liked your product more in my 100 to begin with! I miss it everyday in my 62. Does that make me emo? I don't know.

Finished my install today. Really happy with how the drawers turned out. I gotta say, Dave has created an amazing piece of kit. Quality and fitment is top notch!

Customizations:
Paint - Benjamin Moore Advance Satin Black
Edge Guard - Black anodized aluminum from sheetmetalsonline.com
Handles - Spring pull handles from wdscomponentusa.com (link)

I'll probably put a PVC flooring sheet on top and some neoprene for the drawer bottoms.

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG

Detail of fixed sides (back):
IMG_1700.JPG

Finished my install today. Really happy with how the drawers turned out. I gotta say, Dave has created an amazing piece of kit. Quality and fitment is top notch!

Detail of fixed sides (back):

Those fixed sides look really good! I gotta ask why? though. It doesn't look like you're flipping up the "wings" so doesn't this limit access to this area? I store some soft stuff in those areas (TP, paper towels, extra towels/wipes), things that are ok getting a little squished or banged around.

Just curious!

Cheers,
rjones

Those fixed sides look really good! I gotta ask why? though. It doesn't look like you're flipping up the "wings" so doesn't this limit access to this area? I store some soft stuff in those areas (TP, paper towels, extra towels/wipes), things that are ok getting a little squished or banged around.

Just curious!

Cheers,
rjones
Actually the wings do flip up. I'm planning to add some power ports from an inverter to the fixed side. Also, I find it more aesthetically pleasing to have rectangular drawers :)

IMG_1766.JPG

Actually the wings do flip up. I'm planning to add some power ports from an inverter to the fixed side. Also, I find it more aesthetically pleasing to have rectangular drawers :)

View attachment 1933484
Oooooooh, can't say I've seen wings flip like that, and I dig it! How did you hinge them???

Oooooooh, can't say I've seen wings flip like that, and I dig it! How did you hinge them???
The whole wing actually comes off. In the picture I was holding the front up. I didn't use any hinge but I suppose you could install a hinge on the rear to make it flip up like that. I used these plastic door latches to hold the wings down, very effective (link) :

IMG_1794.JPG

@lonecruiser How did you paint the whole thing? Looks very clean.

@lonecruiser How did you paint the whole thing? Looks very clean.
Thanks! I used Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin Black applied with a roller.
I highly recommend using a primer first if you choose to paint. Dude at the paint shop said I didn't need any primer but I couldn't get a smooth finish in some spots because the plywood absorbed the paint.

Thanks! I used Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin Black applied with a roller.
I highly recommend using a primer first if you choose to paint. Dude at the paint shop said I didn't need any primer but I couldn't get a smooth finish in some spots because the plywood absorbed the paint.
Just please remember to paint AFTER you have assembled (and mask over the slides of course). Tolerances are tight and thick paint can throw off your assembly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom