KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on 60/62 drawers? Patiently waiting with credit card in hand...
PMd you - good chance the mkII being dev'd for the 200 (and possibly rolling back to 100/80/Solo this fall) may work for 60s as well...

Okay I think it's time i pull the trigger, Dave, i have a trip coming up, if i order today, can i get the drawers in by at the latest October 26?

I am pulling the trigger on these this week. Out of curiosity, what are the 'most popular' mods?

Do most people stain them, use carpet, bedliner, etc?
Same for handles... Cut outs vs locking and T vs stainless?
What is the most successful or popular anchor point method?
A few pages ago I saw someone use standard cabinet hinges so the side flaps flip up. Is there any documentation around the options available for the hinge?

I have read most of the thread, but I was hoping to start a convo to see what most people are doing. Just trying to wrap my head around the mods I will order for it as well.

Tracking my order now... so far, the drawers originated in Bend, OR, and have seen Troutdale OR, Drummond MT, Terry MT, Stillwater MN, South Vienna OH, and Grove City OH. By the time they get to me, they will ALREADY have done most of the traveling I was planning on doing WITH them!!! If only those drawers could talk... ;)

I have been watching for a build for a 60 now for quite some time and have decided that this will be my next project to hopefully start next month. My Dad builds furniture and wants to give them a shot. I would rather just order a pair and our bonding time could be putting them together and adding some mods....hint, hint....

I
I have been watching for a build for a 60 now for quite some time and have decided that this will be my next project to hopefully start next month. My Dad builds furniture and wants to give them a shot. I would rather just order a pair and our bonding time could be putting them together and adding some mods....hint, hint....

I also have a 60 but no carpentry skills ...please keep us posted on how it goes and how much you had to alter it to make it fit

Just a quick yet huge "THANK YOU!!!" to Dave for not only designing and making a great quality product, but also packaging it so well. Just got mine today from FedEx, and it arrived with a good bit of the box soaking wet and one end of the box torn, ripped, and almost opened; the driver said, "Yeah, our truck leaks... sorry about that." I had him notate the damage on the delivery receipt just in case.

However, Dave had done such a great job packaging it (and the package is HEAVY... the little kid who was driving the truck had no prayer of getting it off the truck himself... glad I was home) that to call the few tiny little dings on a few corners "damage" would be a real stretch. Nothing of consequence, the kit went together beautifully, directions clear... HIGHLY recommended. I'd post a pick, but they're just sitting, fully assembled, in my basement in their raw state right now. I'll figure out how I want to finish them later... right now, just really impressed!

I

I also have a 60 but no carpentry skills ...please keep us posted on how it goes and how much you had to alter it to make it fit

It will be from scratch. Unfortunately what is available cant really be easily changed (too wide). I have done a lot of research and I will say that the drawers are priced very fair given when he is using to cut materials and the cost of the materials themselves. Definitely not making them myself to save $$.

I
60 owners, please email me (not PM) your preferred overall frame width, depth, and height. Ignore wings for the moment, those are easy to tweak.

@MuseChaser can you please post a pic of the box when it arrived? EVERYONE please remember that if a set gets to you too damaged then you have to REJECT it, as painful as that may be. If you accept it then trying to get compensation later will be nearly impossible. While I have never had a set arrive in a condition that would merit rejection, it IS possible because of the weight. @MuseChaser 's sounds like the worst I've ever heard of, so it's good to know that even in such a bad state my packaging schema works so well. ;) It's one of the advantages to sending a solid 'brick' of parts, rather than an assembled unit that impacts and drops could knock out of alignment or break.

60 owners, please email me (not PM) your preferred overall frame width, depth, and height. Ignore wings for the moment, those are easy to tweak.

@MuseChaser can you please post a pic of the box when it arrived? EVERYONE please remember that if a set gets to you too damaged then you have to REJECT it, as painful as that may be. If you accept it then trying to get compensation later will be nearly impossible. While I have never had a set arrive in a condition that would merit rejection, it IS possible because of the weight. @MuseChaser 's sounds like the worst I've ever heard of, so it's good to know that even in such a bad state my packaging schema works so well. ;) It's one of the advantages to sending a solid 'brick' of parts, rather than an assembled unit that impacts and drops could knock out of alignment or break.

I have your email address because we communicated before on the subject. I will take measurements and pics and tell you what I think...you let me know what you can do, even if it would be something to just get me started....i.e.- I have to scribe the wings and the drawer fronts. Would love to not be starting from scratch. I could send you back a template if I do the wings and fronts as well as pics of the finished product.

Here's the box as it arrived, and a pic showing the worst of the damage to the parts themselves...VERY minimal.

20181002_101923.jpg

20181002_103617.jpg

I have your email address because we communicated before on the subject. I will take measurements and pics and tell you what I think...you let me know what you can do, even if it would be something to just get me started....i.e.- I have to scribe the wings and the drawer fronts. Would love to not be starting from scratch. I could send you back a template if I do the wings and fronts as well as pics of the finished product.
thank you for doing this!
I look forward to buying something that will work!

A couple questions/requests for ideas now that I've started actually using my drawers...

1. I'd like to hinge the wings as others have done, but am looking for a hinge that will be flush with the top, rather than a raised bump that a piano hinge produces. I've got no cabinet making experience, and the woodworking I've done has been...ummm... unidiomatic? I have no vocabulary and don't know what words to use to describe what I'm envisiong. Basically, a hinge mortised/inset into the 5/8" edges of the wing and top, either two or three small hinges per wing, so that the wings will still lay exactly as they would if unhinged, but be able to swing up and lay completely flat on the top after swinging through a 180 degree arc. I've looked for hinges that small at the Home Despot, but couldn't find any. The ones that I did find, called "broad hinges," don't folks quite flush.. they swing through only 270 degrees, which would be ok, but the two sides aren't flush with each other when closed. If I've been clear enough with my description, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what type of hinges I'm looking for? I saw the post way earlier in the thread where someone used fancy cabinet hinges, but the expense/complexity of installation concerns me... don't see how to mount the hinge on the main top piece because the aluminum support is in the way... ? Ideas?

2. Was considering building a simple fridge slide as others have done w/ some sliders and brackets. Test fit the fridge in on top of the drawers yesterday, found that it was very, VERY easy to just slide it on top of the drawers (finished in three coats of satin poly, and the edge covered with aluminum angle), tilt it down, and rest it on the tailgate. Can't really see any advantage to trying to fab up some complicated tilt or drop slide over just providing some tiedowns for security while moving, and maybe a fixed rail at each side and back, and providing a slippery surface (melamine laminate or whatever) for the fridge to slide on once unlashed at camp. What am I missing? Have I just developed the new KISFS? (Keep It Simple Fridge Slide?)

Thanks for the reply. The hinge you suggested would be perfect. Watched the installation video on the site...lost me at "plunge router," and a bunch of other tools and skills I don't have. Looked great, though, and simple enough if I had an equipped shop.
I'm still hoping to find a simple leaf hinge that I can inset, even from the top...just so it's flush. I had considered some form of fabric or cloth hinge, too, as you suggested. Heck, that cheap recycled plastic carpet is thin enoigh that I could probably just glue it down over the whole top and it could BE the hinge. I've already got magnets embedded in the wings and supports..they work very well. Just trying to avoid gluing down carpet, to keep it easier to remove and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom