kill the alarms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any way to kill the seatbelt and door open alarms? I don't wear the seat belt on the trails around my house and sometimes I like to leave the doors open to listen to music.

I tried this "simple" trick and it worked...

Courtesy of RoverGGM (in the FJ Cruiser Forum):

Seat belt chime
1. Turn the ignition switch on (without starting car)
2. Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"
3. Turn the ignition switch off
4. Turn the ignition switch on
5. Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.
6. Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger's seat belt.
7. Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")
8. Press the ODO/TRIP button to change the display to "b-off".
9. Turn the ignition switch off.
10. Turn the ignition switch on while depressing the brake pedal.
11. Check that no buzzer sounds when setting on the front passenger seat.

We had a guy that didn't wear his seatbelt on trails near his house, he got ejected when he got too close to the edge of a drop off, when his 4wd rolled, his head was crushed between the vehicle body and a large rock. He is dead.

But hey, I know what you mean about listening to music with doors open while parked. Not familiar with the FJC but if it's like other vehicles, I think you could wire in a manual switch in line or in place of the door switch, to connect/disconnect the circuit, thereby fooling the vehicle into thinking the door is closed.

jeffxlh said:
Any way to kill the seatbelt and door open alarms? I don't wear the seat belt on the trails around my house and sometimes I like to leave the doors open to listen to music.

Door alarm...just back off the sensor on the door about half a turn...turns it off.

Does this keep the dome light from turning on when you open the door?

Ugadog said:
Courtesy of RoverGGM (in the FJ Cruiser Forum):

Seat belt chime
1. Turn the ignition switch on (without starting car)
2. Press the ODO/TRIP switch until the odometer displays "ODO"
3. Turn the ignition switch off
4. Turn the ignition switch on
5. Press ODO/TRIP switch immediately (within 6 seconds after turning the power switch ON) and hold it down for 10 seconds or more.
6. Continue holding the ODO/TRIP switch and fasten the front passenger's seat belt.
7. Check that the odometer displays either "b-on" or "b-off" (it will be "b-on")
8. Press the ODO/TRIP button to change the display to "b-off".
9. Turn the ignition switch off.
10. Turn the ignition switch on while depressing the brake pedal.
11. Check that no buzzer sounds when setting on the front passenger seat.

Tried this many times, meticulously following the instructions and even a few variations but no joy - nothing I can do will change the odo display to show anything but "ODO" or trip A or trip B. Anyone else have this problem? Did Toyota close the loophole, or am I still missing something? Bought my truck exaclty one month ago (July 2006).

It actually tells you how to do it in your manual. You have to hold the odo button down for about 10 seconds after you turn the key on. It does work, you just have to follow all instructions exactly. As for the door open beeper...I hate those along with the key in the ign. beeper. I usally pull the wires out as soon as I get a diffrent car, but this one is a little diffrent. I just put a clamp on the button on the door.

1911, you wrote "Tried this many times, meticulously following the instructions and even a few variations but no joy - nothing I can do will change the odo display to show anything but "ODO" or trip A or trip." I don't think the hole is closed, because the instructions are in your owners manual. It's been a while but as I remember, I wasn't having any luck trying this on mine until I tried it while sitting in the seat. It's possible that you're doing the same thing. Just follow the manual exactly and it should work (if you're sitting in the seat while doing it.
FJ Tribe of the Carolinas
proud member of the FJ Nation

fj tribe said:
...I wasn't having any luck trying this on mine until I tried it while sitting in the seat. It's possible that you're doing the same thing. Just follow the manual exactly and it should work (if you're sitting in the seat while doing it.

Bingo! That did it; thanks a bunch fj tribe. With the pushing of the brake pedal and whatnot in the instructions posted in the thread, I would never have divined to be sitting in the passenger seat.

Runner Ryan said:
I just put a clamp on the button on the door.

Runner Ryan, How did you clamp it?

For the door, I took out the Driver's side button (its on the inside of the suicide door), disconnected, then carefully pulled apart the switch assembly so I could get to the metal mounting plate. I then used some mastic paper to insulate the button from the bracket - put it all back together and re-installed. Then the old "back it out 1/2 turn" trick worked just fine after tightening it back on in place. I didn't want to lose the electrical inside the door in case I needed it back on someday.

jeffxlh said:
Runner Ryan, How did you clamp it?
I just used a random spring-loaded clamp with rubber coated tips. A stick found on the side of the trail works well, too. Just jam it between the button, and the door latch.:D

I just may add if you happen to stumble upon this and you don't own an FJC it works on all toyota vehicles, recently new I guess as it's the same steps I used on my 'rolla XRS

Can anyone tell me how to modify the remote keyless entry to one click does it all?

We had a guy that didn't wear his seatbelt on trails near his house, he got ejected when he got too close to the edge of a drop off, when his 4wd rolled, his head was crushed between the vehicle body and a large rock. He is dead.

On the road and on trails that pose a threat for possible roll (or really any risk), I couldn't agree more with intent of the statement above. Seatbelts are there for a reason, USE THEM.

On another note, when you are driving flat offroad, say on a hunting lease, and keeping speeds down.....getting in an out often depending on what you want to shoot, what fence you want to fix and so on...This is the coolest fix I have seen yet. That alarm was enough to give you a headache. The directions work perfect. Thanks for the post.

Haven't had a passenger in the car since I just turned the alarm off. Does this overrule the passager alarm as well?

Also never really thought of the door alarm. With the windows down, back up to the campsite....the stock FJammer is plenty loud enough for me. Try that instead of jamming a stick in your door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom