Keyless entry/remote lock/unlock delay fixed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, 1st post here. Hope to learn a lot from everyone.
Currently have a 2018 TLC, just wanted to share the issue I had with keyless entry and how I fixed it. (somewhat)
Dealer installed OEM remote starter and VIP glass break module when car was bought new. Not sure if that has caused the issue to begin with but in the morning when entering the car, keyless entry worked fine with no issues. All doors locked and unlocked instantly thru the door handle and the remote buttons for locking and unlocking had no delay.

Once you drive a bit and then parked, the issues started happening for me. Once I turn off the vehicle from driving a bit, grab my things and get out to touch the door handle to lock, it would not lock. Key was in my pocket. I kept looking like a idiot trying to lock the vehicle by touching the door handle but wouldn't work so I took out the key from my pocket, held it near the door handle, then pressed the door handle lock, then it worked. I thought it was low battery, replaced both batteries on my 2 keys yet still problems.

I didn't want to keep doing that so I gave up using the door handle and tried to lock with the key lock button. Here is where I found the issue. When you turn off the car, I had my settings in the car where headlights would still be on for 30 sec once car was off. After turning off the car, my lights were still on, and while it was on I tried to lock the car with the remote lock button and it would not respond. I was keep pressing the lock button and I noticed once the 30 seconds passed, the headlights turned off, then my remote started working fine with no issues.

I went into the system menu and turned the courtesy auto headlights from 30 seconds to off and tested all door handles and remote. No delay, everything works perfect now even after the short drive. I can't call this a full fix since you have to get rid of an option to have the remote working great, but it's better than being frustrated trying to lock your car after a drive. (I did go to a dealer to try to get this fixed but toyota dealer in my neck of the woods wanted $350 just to take a look at it. I said peace to the middle east and left.)

One more thing.. sometimes, like very rarely, when car is on and passenger door opens for someone to leave, car's remote detection is lost. I have to take out the key from my pocket then car realizes remote is in the car again. That I can't do much as I think our led lights are causing interference. Doesn't happen very often but I can live with that.

I thought I can't be the only person having this problem, like to contribute, hope I helped someone out there.
Or maybe it is just me and the installing dealer screwed up the wires when installing the remote start and glass module. 💀

Update: I found the main culprit why the delay in key fob and key fob sometimes not being detected for a few seconds while car running. It was aftermarket license plate LED bulbs. Changed back to yellow oems and works with no delay/issues. Amazed that small LED lights can cause this issue, what company led's are everyone using? I got mine from superbrightleds.com and those are no good I guess.

V interesting.

I don’t get any delay with mine but no remote start installed or anything but I do have the factory stock LEDs wherever those are on the LX.

Tint also didn’t diminish range from my experience.

Maybe your LED frame was drawing too much accessory power while access lighting circuit was illuminating?

Just for more data, I'm running the bougie sylvania LED license plate bulbs without issue on my 2013 LC. Glad you figured it out.

V interesting.

I don’t get any delay with mine but no remote start installed or anything but I do have the factory stock LEDs wherever those are on the LX.

Tint also didn’t diminish range from my experience.

Maybe your LED frame was drawing too much accessory power while access lighting circuit was illuminating?
Have no clue about lighting circuit :D but if the LX has stock leds on license plate, maybe I can try those if it will fit the LC. Also it wasn't the tints at all, after I took out the license plate LED, everything works perfectly.

Have no clue about lighting circuit :D but if the LX has stock leds on license plate, maybe I can try those if it will fit the LC. Also it wasn't the tints at all, after I took out the license plate LED, everything works perfectly.

You could try @bloc suggestion too, but i’m not sure if ‘18 (you and I) facelift accessory lighting system is running differently in voltage/power due to all the LEDs being factory low draw.

That may explain things although i have no clue what the systems changes are in that regard through the model years.

I do know LEDs are too low impedance for a lot of lighting systems I work with professionally and require lots of retrofit electrical re-engineering. (Residential and commercial lighting automation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom