Keyless Entry chirp added to 98' 100- EZ Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found an easy way to add the keyless entry chirp to my 98'- The keyless entry ECU is the same PN as the 98 LX470 (which has chirp) The ECU has 2 terminals in the WH connector for the piezo, which are unused in the LC (no pins or wires in the LC wire harness connector contact these pins on the ECU) Basically, the ECU is putting out the source signal which goes unused in the LC

To add the piezo buzzer, all you do is carefully disconnect and open up the WH connector to the ECU, insert 2 pins in the vacant connector positions, and add the wires to the pins- Reassemble the connector, and you have 2 leads for a piezo buzzer (of course, disconnect the battery first) No need to disassemble the lower IP - the ECU is located behind the LH lower IP- you can access the connector by reaching up under the IP

Then order a LX470 buzzer- It mounts in the drivers side front wheelwell behind the fender liner- Once you get the liner out- you'll see a bracket for mounting the buzzer in the upper rear portion of the wheelwell, along with the unused Wh for the buzzer. All you do is plug the buzzer in and mount it to the bracket with a bolt- bracket has a weldnut.

The WH for the buzzer is routed through the fender apron into the engine compartment, and comes through adjacent to the brake booster, where it is routed into the main engine WH bundle. Unfortunately, the buzzer WH doesnt continue all the way to the ECU, it is terminated somewhere in the WH bundle. Rather than tear into the main WH bundle, I cut the wires before they enter the engine WH bundle, attached 2 lead wires to the buzzer side of the cut, and ran these 2 wires through the firewall (through the main harness grommet)

I then connected these 2 wires to my leads I added at the ECU and Voila- I now have a chirp function with my keyless entry! :)

Very cool BUT..........why the focus on the chirp i.e. is this for safety or ???

Its a preference thing only - The LC system is quiet when you actuate the door locks via the keyfob that unless youre looking at the car to see the lights flash, you have no confirmation that the locks have been actauted- With the piezo buzzer added, you get the audible chirp confirmation- I like that better than having to watch for the lights flash

I have been hoping someone would figure this out, good job :)

OK, that makes sense.

More info to come

I'll post more detail in the next few days- I should be able to provide the WH connector daigrams for the LC and LX to show the pin locations- I'll also provide the PN- I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this mod so I just did the quick and dirty summary

On a side note- the piezo buzzer form Toyota was pricey- In hindsight, I could have probably gotten some universal piezo from a local car alarm joint cheaper, but then it wouldnt have been a plug in bolt in deal

lexus dealers charge one hour to disable this feature. it gets old, but certainly not $95 woth of old.

$0.02

Part Number is 89747-60010- Sorry I havent had time to gather more info- Hope to soon

Reactions: jLB
Any updates....details....anyone tried this? On a post 98? (I have a 2003). I am interested in taking this one on. Having to look for the lights to flash in order to confirm the truck is locked drives me nutz.

Any updates....details....anyone tried this? On a post 98? (I have a 2003). I am interested in taking this one on. Having to look for the lights to flash in order to confirm the truck is locked drives me nutz.
@gopriest31 doesn't seem to be around anymore....i don't like looking for the lights and would much rather have a chirp or double chirp to confirm the status.
anyone else know how to do this?

Has anyone done this mod recently? I can’t find any other documentation on it, and have a few questions.

I’d assume WH is wiring harness and IP is instrument panel.

I want to attempt this mod on my 01 LC later this summer but don’t want to go into it completely blind.

Instrument panel

I'm working on this currently. Ordered the buzzer and some fender clips. Took some photos of the ECU and its wiring harness. Mine is missing three pins instead of two so I'm going to have to experiment to find the right ones.

I'm working on this currently. Ordered the buzzer and some fender clips. Took some photos of the ECU and its wiring harness. Mine is missing three pins instead of two so I'm going to have to experiment to find the right ones.
Let me know how it goes. I have some fender clips laying around and just picked up a buzzer for $20 off of eBay so I’m definitely going to attempt this. Mind posting a picture or two of the missing pins and the ECU just for future reference?

Here's what I got. Hoping to figure the pins out this weekend.
IMG_6653.jpg
IMG_6651.jpg

Still waiting on an aftermarket wire harness order from Amazon that I can de-pin to add the necessary pig tails in the ECU harness for the missing pins/wires. I did get a wiring diagram from an LX470 so I know the correct pins now. I'll post photos and a small writeup once I get all the parts but, for now, here is the relevant information from the LX wiring diagrams:

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.05.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.05.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.05.34 AM.png

Anyone have the name/type of the male connector (oval shaped, 2-prong) for the piezo end of wire harness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom