Key Switch Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sangre de Christo Mtns of North Central NM.
Key Switch Replacement My 1987 60 has been down for awhile. No cranking, battery drain, lights and buzzers good. I replaced the battery and the starter and through brilliant deductive reasoning have concluded the problem is on the steering column. The key needing to be jiggled to start in the past kind of pointed me in this direction. So, I am thinking key switch replacement. After 25 years of work and maybe too much graphite the switch contacts could be worn.

I am considering by-passing the key switch in favor of a "starter button" like on my 1942 Chevrolet. Holding the security issues aside, is it feasible to by pass the key switch on the column in favor of a button or are there too many other circuits in the key switch that must be closed for propper functioning? I would like to avoid creating other problems. Replacing the key switch is perhaps a better solution I just do not know about availability.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

So, now I have a starter question. If one runs a jumber cable from the battery to the terminal on the starter and a touches a lead from the ignition switch lead on the starter and touches the battery with the other end, the solenoid should actuate and the starter crank, right?

Doing the above, the solenoid jumps but the starter gear does not move. The ground cable appears fine but I added another ground cable direct to the block and that does not work either.

Am I looking at a bad starter?

there are two parts to the key switch: the lock mechanism that the key fits in and the electrical switch that the wires connect to. These two parts are connected by a rod about three inches long. you can get a replacement tumbler, or remover the tumbler and have a lock smith replace the tumbler pins. You used to be able to get the electrical switch from Toyota, but I think they are now NLA. However, I seem to think that something might be available after market.

The electrical switching requirements are pretty standard for an ignition switch, and switches with similar functionality are available at places like summit racing--it has four positions--off, accessories, on and start. some of these are on at the same time (accessories and engine circuits are both energized in the "on" position). I suppose you could have toggle switches for accessories and on, and a push button for start, but why? your 42 chevy is much simpler in terms of wiring and circuits than even your land cruiser.

Last edited:
So, now I have a starter question. If one runs a jumber cable from the battery to the terminal on the starter and a touches a lead from the ignition switch lead on the starter and touches the battery with the other end, the solenoid should actuate and the starter crank, right?

you are essentially duplicating what a remote start switch does. If you disconnect the low amp wire that runs to the starter, and run a wire from it and touch the positive battery terminal, the starter should jump. If the key is "on" the truck should run.

If the starter gear is not pushing out, first check all your battery connections, before blaming the starter motor.

Yep, the battery ground terminal goes round and round then it split. It was too large for the battery anyway and I had it as tight as it would turn. So, time for a new one.

There are too many complications for a simple start button. The '42 is so basic and simple. Bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom