Kaymar OEM Tire Carrier Install HELP!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shahram

I ain't got herpes no more.
Threads
Hey kids...thanks in advance for any and all input and info...

I picked up the Kaymar OEM Tire Carrier. No offense to our friends from down under, but the instructions included are either incomplete, are for a completely different product, or were written by an autistic kid. Anybody know of an installation write-up somewhere online, or have some advice to give me? Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do? There are parts here that aren't mentioned in the instructions, parts we have no idea what to do with, parts that don't make sense, holes that don't line up, it's getting late and we're getting frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did mine about a month ago with no issues. Instructions aren't the best, but certainly good enough to get the job done. What holes are you talking about? I don't remember any.

Edit - if you are talking about a tire carrier on an OEM bumper, then disregard my comments and I'm unable to help - sorry. My tire carrier is on the Kaymar bumper spindle.

Who did you purchase from? If a reputable vendor like MAF, give them a call for some help.

Last edited:
Beeeeeeyotch!!!!

Dude, what a day! Here's a quick write-up...

First, open the box. A bunch of stuff will come spilling out. Don't lose the stuff.

Secondly, there will also be paper "instructions" written in a secret autistic retard language. Remove "instructions" from box. Wipe butt with them. Now burn them. This will prevent more confusion than if you had actually read them. They should not have been named "instructions", rather they should have been titled "Do Not Read This. It Will Only Make Things Worse. Go Put The Kettle On, Mate. Yer Gonna Be Here A While!!!" I dunno. Perhaps "HAHA!!!" would have been more fitting.

(Note to Kaymar: "Instructions" are bits of information, put into chronological order, detailing the process of assembling and installing a product you have manufactured. They often include a list of parts included in the purchase, along with pictures of the aforementioned parts, and often diagrams (diagrammes) of how to assemble and install the aforementioned parts. The diagrams (diagrammes) should probably be drawn by a professional artist, not by a drunk with a ball-point pen and a bar napkin. I probably shouldn't have to tell you this, but I'm a Yank, so what do I know?)

Thirdly, get some extra tools...along with various wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc., you will need a good drill with various bits and grinder heads, because approximately 1 in 3 holes will line up. The rest of the holes you'll either have to skip, which isn't advised, or re-drill. Make sure you set aside a full day or two to deal with this project; unless you're real savvy with metalwork, you're gonna need some patience.

Remove the bumperette. Stand there for a while, scratch your head, and wonder what goes where. After an hour or so, you'll start to figure out where the holes were supposed to line up.

At some point, you will need to stand up, look over the pile of parts in your driveway and scream. Do this a few times. You'll just end up doing it later, you might as well get it out of the way. Remember that permanent damage to parts or truck or buddy or spouse may cause yet more trouble in the long run, so though tempting, don't go throwing, kicking, or shooting at these things.

Wallow in confusion and leftover parts for a few hours, wonder what the hell our friends from down under were thinking (or drinking or smoking) when they made this thing, and somehow, it'll all start to add up.

You'll just end up doing your own thing for the most part, because you'll be left high and dry. Almost none of the parts will line up, the latch plate will not close when it's attached to the bumper, so you'll go digging and cannibalizing other stuff to get washers to use as spacers. Don't panic; with the right tools, some time, and some company, you'll get there. The one thing I can say for this tire carrier is that it seems like it'll hold up well, although the parts are off in terms of machining, they're fairly beefy and well made.

Good luck if you're planning on doing this installation anytime soon, and feel free to PM me if you want to vent or have any questions.

I've fitted 2 or the Kaymar tyre carriers to different Cruisers with no problems.
Both came with clear instructions and pictures. Installation took about 4 hours.
Only problem I had was I put the tow bar on before fitting the catch because you can't get in behind the chassis to fit the plate with captive nuts to mount the catch.

Jeez - I didn't have this much trouble with the entire Kaymar rear bumper!

I do agree 100% about the lack of quality instructions....or it's just that we Yanks have thick skulls. hehehe Neither the bumper instructions or the tire carrier instructions were very good. Even instructions from the Japanese are better. Something must be getting lost in the translation from Aussie to Yank. Yea, that's it.

landtank said:
You didn't by chance buy Joe's old carrier did you. I only ask as maybe you are not seeing Kaymars instructions but his.

LT: I'm buying this off of Joe next week on my way to NYC, stopping in Lancaster, PA and picking it up.

I hope to not have the same problems that Shahram had, though I will more than likely Beno the job and need to bring in the heavy artillary...I was planning on installing it at a highway rest-stop with some hand tools...oh well...I'll let you all know how it goes.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Here are some pics of my old Kaymar tire carrier. These were taken as it was being removed to sell, but I reversed the order of the pics and it gives a pretty good idea of how it goes on:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/p...333862&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

BTW, as far as tire carriers for the OEM bumper, I still think the Kaymar is the pick of the bunch. Super stout and quite an elegant design.

HTH,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom