K&N Performance Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone tried any of the K&N performance options? I would like to find something that would give my 2021 Tacoma TRD OffRoad a bit more ooopmf off the line.

Look elsewhere. I wouldn't use an oiled filter on any vehicle I own.
Thanks for the input but I am curious why you feel that way. I have been a K&N customer for the last 33 years and have used their air filters and oil filters on pretty much everything I own without any issues. Some applications had a noticeable difference and others really had no noticeable difference. Do you have some data to support that the oiled filters are bad? I have never seen any that state that but maybe I was not looking hard enough.

Thanks

Try it and report back? It's not expensive.

I am with @iptman never going to use oiled filter again. I had a '94 3.0L V6 Xcab and put a K&N in (back in the early 00's): put a dab of vaseline in the intake upstream from the filter and checked it, after a while there was quite an accumulation of gunk. Cleaned it (and the MAF wire), went back to OEM filter, ran same test, virtually no gunk - a helluva lot less than the K&N let through.

Apparently the newer vehicles MAF Sensors and such are much more sensitive than a few years ago because of tweaking every bit of emissions and fuel mileage bragging rights they can get.
On my 04 tacoma I did "deck plate mod" allowed more air in, sounded better and throttle was a little better. But I had too clean the MAF Sensor regularly, even with an OEM filter.
I wouldn't even consider modify the box on my 2021.
If you can weed through the b.s. on Tacoma World. Several folks recommend swapping to the TRD Pro intake set up for a touch better response and a deeper sound.
Consensus there is a Tune/flash to improve performance is the way to go. I don't run mine hard, live and drive in mostly flat roads and only just hit 5000 miles so I probably wont get a tune anytime soon.

I've been running a drop-in K&N in my '12 Tacoma since new (80k miles now). It's been great. I've been running them in all my vehicles with no problems for 30 years. I use the stock filter when cleaning the K&N and waiting for it to dry. I notice significant difference between the stock and the K&N in performance and sound. Note, the instructions state that you should not over oil the filter after cleaning.

I wouldn't run a K&N in anything I run off road due to the fine dust where I live.

I used to work in a power toys shop servicing dirtbikes, ATVs, and the like.
The toys with K&N had fine dust that got past the filters and was in the carbs and on higher mileage units, in the crank case oil. All that were more than 5 years old were in need of pistons, rings and either honing or replacement cylinders. The shop loved selling K&N filters because 1. They were a big profit maker 2. They were an easy sell for the customer (more power!) and 3. They guaranteed the customer would be back for carb cleans, oil changes and engine work.

The paper filter units didn't have those issues.

On road, where there's no dust, sure, but I don't want to bother having to change air filters every time I want to go wheeling, so I use the stock paper filter.

I'd put the money towards an OV Tune.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run a K&N in anything I run off road due to the fine dust where I live.

I used to work in a power toys shop servicing dirtbikes, ATVs, and the like.
The toys with K&N had fine dust that got past the filters and was in the carbs and on higher mileage units, in the crank case oil. All that were more than 5 years old were in need of pistons, rings and either honing or replacement cylinders. The shop loved selling them because 1. They were a big profit maker 2. They were an easy sell for the customer (more power!) and 3. They guaranteed the customer would be back for carb cleans, oil changes and engine work.

The paper filter units didn't have those issues.

On road, where there's no dust, sure, but I don't want to bother having to change air filters every time I want to go wheeling, so I use the stock paper filter.

I'd put the money towards an OV Tune.
The OV Tune product seems very complicated as the AFR map seems to have an infinite number of possible maps. I guess I would prefer a bolt-on mechanical type power boost rather than an ECU flash type tuning product. The older I get the less complicated, the better. :)

The OV Tune product seems very complicated as the AFR map seems to have an infinite number of possible maps. I guess I would prefer a bolt-on mechanical type power boost rather than an ECU flash type tuning product. The older I get the less complicated, the better. :)
A good tuner will ask you a lot of questions, or at least honestly answer all of yours, about what you want from the tune; and produce map s/he can explain in detail. I don't understand all the intricacies of tuning, but the guy I worked with locally was very good and the outcome was what I wanted. And it's set and forget, no ongoing maintenance, recurring expenses, etc.

Fact is, everything is letting dirt by. IME the k&n is a little worse and its bleeding oil.
There are plenty of other decent open element filters available.
I am currently running an Injen nano on my 3.4l
It has been good, but I still occasionally give the maf a good douching with cleaner

Can't speak to the 3.5l, but I'd say no difference on the 4.0l. I have one, but switched back to paper filters. I liked that I could clean it between oil change intervals if it got excessively dirty, but I never noticed any power/mpg benefit, and I check my gas mileage on every tank. Paper filters for the 4.0l are cheap on Amazon, and if I need to clean the paper filter between oil change intervals I can just blow it out with the compressor. I also just got concerned about over oiling the K&N and sucking some oil ito the intake, or under oiling and letting too much dust by. Paper filter is error proof and convenient, and I saw no power/mpg benefit to the K&N

Can't speak to the 3.5l, but I'd say no difference on the 4.0l. I have one, but switched back to paper filters. I liked that I could clean it between oil change intervals if it got excessively dirty, but I never noticed any power/mpg benefit, and I check my gas mileage on every tank. Paper filters for the 4.0l are cheap on Amazon, and if I need to clean the paper filter between oil change intervals I can just blow it out with the compressor. I also just got concerned about over oiling the K&N and sucking some oil ito the intake, or under oiling and letting too much dust by. Paper filter is error proof and convenient, and I saw no power/mpg benefit to the K&N
Thanks for your input. Good information

Fact is, everything is letting dirt by. IME the k&n is a little worse and its bleeding oil.
There are plenty of other decent open element filters available.
I am currently running an Injen nano on my 3.4l
It has been good, but I still occasionally give the maf a good douching with cleaner
Thanks for your input. I did go check out the site for the Injen products so another option to consider.