Just put a deposit on a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 22 TRD Pro in Lunar Rock with TRD exhaust from the factory. I got it in September of this year -- driven about 2K miles and am very happy with it. There is a definite drone from the exhaust, particularly driving up hills... I have gotten used to the sound, but it is loud and comes from under the truck, not from the tailpipe. It is loud for the captain seat passengers - you have to raise your voice to have a conversation. Overall the truck delivers just what I wanted -- utility while being simple to use -- but just right updated tech. If I want quiet I take our S class.

I also feel like the TRD exhaust from the factory adds something to the character of the truck.
Thanks wmb - that’s very helpful feedback. I’m sure I would get used to the TRD exhaust and probably enjoy it, but I’m more concerned about the noise level for my wife and kid.

We currently have a two year old and possibly another baby on the way. The kids would be sitting in the captains chairs. Do you think the noise level would be disturbing or bothersome for the kids?

It is very hard to know how your children would react to the sound. I have two thoughts ( having kids, now grown, but they were 2 once...). 1) Get it and do not talk about it so as not to point it out. If they react negatively initially, see if they get used to it. 2) Get it knowing that they are going to notice. I they continue to really dislike the sound, have the dealer put on a stock muffler.

It matters how much you want the truck. It seems fairly simple to put a stock muffler on at a minimal cost

Brought her home today! My wife came with me. She thought I was nuts for buying a third vehicle, but I think the Sequoia is growing on her already.

Drove about 70 miles home from the dealer. My first impressions are positive. Very smooth on the highway and handles well for a large truck. The TRD exhaust definitely has a noticeable grumble. I think I’ll get used to it. The real test will be a long drive with my wife and kid.

I know it’s not a fair comparison, but I can see why the Land Cruiser is a more expensive vehicle. The fit, finish and overall build quality of the Sequoia seem good but it’s not on the same level as the LC. For a family hauler though, it feels just about right.

I’m glad I got one of the last Toyota V8’s before everything goes turbo or hybrid.
8F47C389-9C34-47B0-AB96-4E85B4105490.jpeg

Not surprised you got it! Yes, the interior quality is a different level from a LC, but I like the utilitarian, more truck like feel. Its just easy. I get many compliments on it -- never thought that would happen -- and people love the color. You will also love the space with kids... hope they can take the cat back exhaust

Thanks guys. Definitely loving the new truck. The utilitarian interior suits me just fine. I don’t like too much fancy gadgetry.
Wish the infotainment screen were a bit larger but it does the job and is simple to use.

One small thing I really like is the TRD shift knob. Most of my vehicles have been manual transmissions so I have a habit of resting my hand on the shift knob while driving. The top surface of the TRD shift knob is flat and very comfortable to hold.

The seats also feel amazing. Nice and wide with a good amount of firm support.

Still getting used to parking this beast. I like to reverse into parking spots, and it takes a bit of judgment to get the Sequoia backed in properly. My F350 is much larger but almost feels easier to park since it has blind spot mirrors and a better rear view camera. I’m sure I’ll get used to it as I drive it more.

Overall I’m very pleased and glad I pulled the trigger on this truck. A side perk is I haven’t seen even a single Sequoia TRD pro in lunar rock on the road aside from mine. Seems they’re pretty rare.

I have not seen another one on the road -- very rare indeed. Update on the exhaust drone: it seems like it has diminished significantly after crossing 2500 miles.

I have not seen another one on the road -- very rare indeed. Update on the exhaust drone: it seems like it has diminished significantly after crossing 2500 miles.
Glad to hear the drone has diminished. I’m already getting used to the exhaust note. It does fit the character of the TRD Pro.

drone has continued to moderate after 4K miles. has that been your experience as well @goodnightnyc?
Good to know the drone has continued to moderate. I only have a few hundred miles on my rig, so I can’t really say there’s any difference yet. I’ll report back after I’ve put more miles on it.

I did have my wife and son in the truck a few times and they didn’t complain about any excessive noise. Granted they were shorter drives around an hour in duration, but I’m glad they didn’t seem to mind the exhaust.

In my short experience with it, I think the exhaust sounds great and really suits the nature of the truck.

Reactions: wmb
Put down a refundable $500 deposit today to reserve it. It's a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. Build date is 12/7 and should arrive at the dealer a couple of weeks later. Currently own a '21 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition, so this will be the second Toyota in the fleet.

The only option it has is the TRD Performance Exhaust. I'm honestly on the fence about that exhaust after reading so many mixed reviews about highway drone, etc. What do you guys think - leave the build as is, or ask the dealer if they can remove the TRD exhaust prior to build? The sales manager did say he could make a request to not have it installed, but wasn't sure it could be done.
I just bought my wife the 22 TRD pro lunar rock with the exhaust and have 2000 miles on it and the exhaust definitely doesn’t bother me or my wife( she loves the color and the whole vehicle. We also have a 2006 sequoia limited and a 85 fj60

I just bought my wife the 22 TRD pro lunar rock with the exhaust and have 2000 miles on it and the exhaust definitely doesn’t bother me or my wife( she loves the color and the whole vehicle. We also have a 2006 sequoia limited and a 85 fj60
Nice! There are a few TRD Pros around the area. I kinda wish I waited one more year getting our '19 TRD Sport. If you see the heavily modded grey one, that's me. I don't have the most modded FJ Cruiser in town but I do have the most moded 2nd gen Sequoia (as far as I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom