Just put a deposit on a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put down a refundable $500 deposit today to reserve it. It's a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. Build date is 12/7 and should arrive at the dealer a couple of weeks later. Currently own a '21 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition, so this will be the second Toyota in the fleet.

The only option it has is the TRD Performance Exhaust. I'm honestly on the fence about that exhaust after reading so many mixed reviews about highway drone, etc. What do you guys think - leave the build as is, or ask the dealer if they can remove the TRD exhaust prior to build? The sales manager did say he could make a request to not have it installed, but wasn't sure it could be done.

First off, congrats!!! I Would have picked Lunar Rock if it was available anywhere near me.

On the exhaust, I'm not sure as I don't have first hand knowledge but I can tell you that the stock exhaust is pretty nice as it is. I'll let someone with experience pipe in but you will not be sorry with the stock exhaust. This is an amazing rig.

Stock exhaust still lets plenty of the 5.7 through when you get into it

Thanks for the replies! I have the same 5.7 in my Land Cruiser and it does sound nice even with a standard exhaust. I don't mind paying the extra $1k for the TRD exhaust, but I don't want to have a loud, annoying exhaust note or highway drone.

I had called a bunch of local dealers and found a few Lunar Rock Sequoia TRD Pro's, but most were asking a markup. I found this one at MSRP so I jumped on it. I'm leaning towards just leaving the build as is, and hopefully I wind up liking the TRD exhaust. And hopefully my wife doesn't mind it either!

If anyone has first hand experience with the TRD exhaust, I'd love to hear some feedback.

It's easy enough for a muffler shop to drop a new resonator/muffler on if you don't like it, or maybe this one bolts in which is even easier. I'd say drive it as built and live with it for a bit and if it annoys you personally, make a change and sell the kit. Videos and other peoples' opinions will not supersede your own ears when it comes to exhaust

It's easy enough for a muffler shop to drop a new resonator/muffler on if you don't like it, or maybe this one bolts in which is even easier. I'd say drive it as built and live with it for a bit and if it annoys you personally, make a change and sell the kit. Videos and other peoples' opinions will not supersede your own ears when it comes to exhaust
That's good advice. I guess if I really dislike the exhaust, I could swap it out for the standard exhaust.

Random question, but I was watching a video review of the Sequoia where the owner says some of the steering wheel buttons (such as volume control, phone buttons) and dash buttons don't light up at night while others do. Is that true? Seems strange.

I'm currently loaning "The Bus" to a friend whose Volvo wagon is in the shop for repairs but I'll report back when I get it back - all I can tell you is he does not want to give it back and is more than happy to be driving it

I'm pretty sure all the buttons light up on the steering wheel. I have the platinum so it could be different for the TRD Pro, but all of mine light up. Congrats on the new truck. They're amazing and I honestly want to keep this thing forever.

Thanks again for the replies. I’m still not completely sure I’ll go through with the purchase. It’s a nice truck for sure and my heart wants it, but my head is making me think twice.

My wife isn’t thrilled about the idea of owning another large vehicle (we already have a Land Cruiser and a F350). Garage space will become a challenge. And inevitably one or two vehicles won’t be driven much and will wind up sitting.

That being said I like that this Sequoia is probably one of the last old school V8 SUV’s being produced before everything goes electric, hybrid or turbo. I’ll sleep on it for a few days and decide.

How big of a family do you have / "plan" on having? The sequoia really shines when you can use that huge third row. Otherwise, Your landcruiser is gonna be plenty comfy for long roadtrips and the f350 will swallow your largest home depot purchases. Now the seqouia can fulfill both those roles, but if you're gonna split that task between two vehicles, I see no need for a third.

How big of a family do you have / "plan" on having? The sequoia really shines when you can use that huge third row. Otherwise, Your landcruiser is gonna be plenty comfy for long roadtrips and the f350 will swallow your largest home depot purchases. Now the seqouia can fulfill both those roles, but if you're gonna split that task between two vehicles, I see no need for a third.
Great points. Currently it’s just me, my wife and our two year old son. Planning for one more kid and we’ll likely stop there. I’m 44 and she’s 40, so we’re not exactly spring chickens.

You’re right the LC could comfortably four people. We probably don’t need a Sequoia. I just happen to like it. And I have a bit of a vehicle addiction.

The large size has pros and cons for me. The third row and massive interior space is nice. However I drive into NYC often and park in a garage there. It would fit in the garage, but obviously maneuvering it in and out of the city will have challenges.

Couple of questions -

1. How easy or difficult would it be to find another ‘22 TRD Pro Sequoia in Lunar stock at MSRP? Let’s say I decided to wait 3-6 months and looked around again.

2. How well would this vehicle hold its value? In case I decide after some time I really don’t need it.

@goodnightnyc when I picked up my 2021 late summer, I shopped used and saw HIGHER PRICES than the MSRP that I paid new [I actually got a tiny bit off and a very fair resid for my VW Alltrack trade - in]. These trucks hold value like crazy...all of the Toyota/Lexus trucks do. I'm about to buy out the lease on my 2018 GX460 and my resid is $32,500--wholesale auction numbers are anywhere between $39-45K, which then get marked up for retail. These are prices DEALERS are paying.

The market is indeed nuts right now, but this will be your last chance to buy a V8 Toyota full sized SUV new, and the chip shortage is going to continue to hurt car production for at least a while longer. I thought that 2022 was going to be the year Toyota kicked over to the new platform for Seqouia, and just had a third kid which really necessitated a larger vehicle that could "do it all" [I also have the GX and a 2012 Range Rover, so I understand the addiction and the "I don't really need a third vehicle"] but I wasn't willing to give up either of the other trucks that I owned.

My opinion, get the Sequoia and if you change your mind in a year or two, you should be able to get out from under it at as much or close to as much you owe. I bought this truck as mostly a "utility" buy but have found myself loving it and becoming more impressed by it each day. The kids love it too [and so does my friend who has been driving it the last 3 weeks as his Volvo has been in the shop]

@goodnightnyc when I picked up my 2021 late summer, I shopped used and saw HIGHER PRICES than the MSRP that I paid new [I actually got a tiny bit off and a very fair resid for my VW Alltrack trade - in]. These trucks hold value like crazy...all of the Toyota/Lexus trucks do. I'm about to buy out the lease on my 2018 GX460 and my resid is $32,500--wholesale auction numbers are anywhere between $39-45K, which then get marked up for retail. These are prices DEALERS are paying.

The market is indeed nuts right now, but this will be your last chance to buy a V8 Toyota full sized SUV new, and the chip shortage is going to continue to hurt car production for at least a while longer. I thought that 2022 was going to be the year Toyota kicked over to the new platform for Seqouia, and just had a third kid which really necessitated a larger vehicle that could "do it all" [I also have the GX and a 2012 Range Rover, so I understand the addiction and the "I don't really need a third vehicle"] but I wasn't willing to give up either of the other trucks that I owned.

My opinion, get the Sequoia and if you change your mind in a year or two, you should be able to get out from under it at as much or close to as much you owe. I bought this truck as mostly a "utility" buy but have found myself loving it and becoming more impressed by it each day. The kids love it too [and so does my friend who has been driving it the last 3 weeks as his Volvo has been in the shop]
Thanks for the reply. You're definitely enabling my vehicle addiction! The GX460 is a great truck and very capable - I don't blame you for holding onto it. I also don't want to give up any of my other vehicles.

Totally agree on this being the last opportunity to buy a new full sized Toyota V8. This engine is superb and I love it in the Land Cruiser. If I do wind up buying the Sequoia, I'll likely leave the LC in the garage most of the time and only use it as a dedicated adventure or weekend rig.

I had a 62 series and have a good friend with a 100 that I got to drive a lot [and actually that was what I wanted to buy initially] but the Sequoia is really unbelievably good at doing a lot of things from mall crawling to beach duty to fire roads to hauling tons of things and people...if you want a "Land Cruiser-esque" truck that does day to day and don't want to bring it on tight trails, it's hard to beat. It doesn't look as good as an LC, doesn't have the same offroad chops or luxury, but you can fit a lot in it, rides comfortably, has heated seats and bluetooth. And it should run forever--good enough for me

Landcruisers are meant to be driven, no doubt about that. But with a limited supply, everyone one would find it wise to treat the landcruiser easier, so it lasts forever. The seqouia can take on some of those drives that might put needless wear on the landcruiser, messy kids, sheets of plywood or heavy loads, and groccery store door dings. In other words the day to day. I’m not saying the seqouia is a disposable vehicle, or not an absolute pleasure to drive. I ordered all 6 service manuals + Wiring diagram for my 2010 sequoia. That should tell you how committed to and impressed with that vehicle I am. I want it to last forever, just like my LCs

I did a second test drive over the weekend at a different dealer. They had a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro in stock and let me take it for a spin. Handled nicely, but it's definitely a big rig. Only concern I had is the headroom or lack thereof. I'm 6'1" and found the headroom to be pretty tight.

I probably had a couple of inches between my head and the roof, but was expecting much more for such a big truck. Any of you guys have the same experience?

I did a second test drive over the weekend at a different dealer. They had a '22 Sequoia TRD Pro in stock and let me take it for a spin. Handled nicely, but it's definitely a big rig. Only concern I had is the headroom or lack thereof. I'm 6'1" and found the headroom to be pretty tight.

I probably had a couple of inches between my head and the roof, but was expecting much more for such a big truck. Any of you guys have the same experience?
That seat must have been adjusted WAY high. I'm 6'1 and feel like a midget in the truck. And I'm all torso. There is a lot of adjustment in the seat; there is a 5'2 mom in town that has one of these rigs and she can still drive it. Go back and make sure the seat bottom was adjusted down. This is indeed the largest vehicle I'd ever driven but it is surprisingly nimble and has a better turning radius than my GX so it is easy to park and maneuver. Once you get used to the dimensions it's very easy to drive.

Yeah I had adjusted the seat all the way down. I just checked the dimensions online. The Sequoia has 34.8 inches of front headroom. The Land Cruiser has 38.3
Inches. And the 4Runner has 39.3 inches.

Not a dealbreaker or anything but pretty surprising considering the Sequoia is the largest one.

That is indeed surprising as I have never felt anything but cavernous in this rig

I have a 22 TRD Pro in Lunar Rock with TRD exhaust from the factory. I got it in September of this year -- driven about 2K miles and am very happy with it. There is a definite drone from the exhaust, particularly driving up hills... I have gotten used to the sound, but it is loud and comes from under the truck, not from the tailpipe. It is loud for the captain seat passengers - you have to raise your voice to have a conversation. Overall the truck delivers just what I wanted -- utility while being simple to use -- but just right updated tech. If I want quiet I take our S class.

I also feel like the TRD exhaust from the factory adds something to the character of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom