Just Joining - Looking for LX470 Accumulator Info (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joining the forum. I have a 2001 LX470 that was passed down. One older gentleman/service person at the dealership told us "not to trade it in because they don't make them like that anymore". At any rate I'm looking to maintain it as long as we can. Current issue is that it appears that the front accumulators have failed. Uneven or bumpy roads give significant bounce. Dealer wants $3800 to replace. Any feedback on part purchased on internet (supposedly OEM). Also are there any suggestions for mechanics in the Kansas City area?

Welcome. The Topic of AHC suspension has been well covered here, but i guess i'll bite on this one. To keep the AHC system running, you are going to be shelling out a lot of money. Most people get by with replacing the "globes", but there are many components to the system.
for me, I just ripped out the AHC system on mine and replaced with Landcruiser Shocks, Springs, and Torsion bars. no more AHC issues, maintenance, or worries about system failures.

I agree on this 100% "not to trade it in because they don't make them like that anymore"

Just joining the forum. I have a 2001 LX470 that was passed down. One older gentleman/service person at the dealership told us "not to trade it in because they don't make them like that anymore". At any rate I'm looking to maintain it as long as we can. Current issue is that it appears that the front accumulators have failed. Uneven or bumpy roads give significant bounce. Dealer wants $3800 to replace. Any feedback on part purchased on internet (supposedly OEM). Also are there any suggestions for mechanics in the Kansas City area?
Impex has the globes for ~$100/each if you can wait for the shipping from Japan. I've heard that it's not hard to change, but I haven't done it myself - still waiting on my giant Impex order to come in, haha. I know they were backordered on either the front or rear globes until 4/10/24 or so.

I strongly recommend keeping AHC unless one is looking for a specific suspension function for off-road use; otherwise, these systems can last a very long time with a minimal amount of maintenance, while also providing the best on-road ride available for these vehicles.

Best to start here: The ABCs of AHC - How to Measure, Flush, and Adjust all in one place - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-abcs-of-ahc-how-to-measure-flush-and-adjust-all-in-one-place.1211999/

Do you already know for sure that it's the globes? Have the pressures been read with TechStream or similar?

Oh, and +1 on purchasing globes from Impex if they're needed.

I'm assuming it's the globes based upon dealer pointing it out and looking at the reservoir levels at high and low. Ride has been bouncy over bumps and uneven roads/overpasses.
IMG_4513.jpg
IMG_4509.jpg

Oof - looks like you've got what, 5 or 6 ticks between high and low? Definitely seems like that indicates that the accumulators are bad.

Oof - looks like you've got what, 5 or 6 ticks between high and low? Definitely seems like that indicates that the accumulators are bad.
Hold the train. You’re assuming his pressures are in spec, which is a huge assumption and likely wrong. The “tick mark change” is only an indicator of health when all the steps before it are complete. Searching will show the procedure required first.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom