Just joined the 460 club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

xlx

SILVER Star
Threads
With a bit of reluctance, I traded my 2003 GX470 for a 2011 GX460 Premium. I was very happy with the 470, I just wanted something newer and nicer. Found a one owner, dealer serviced 460 at my local Lexus dealer. The previous owner bought it there, serviced it there, and traded in for a new Lexus there. He did every recommended service needed. This will be my DD, so It will get a lot of use. I ran 87 octane in my 470 with no problems whatsoever. What’s everyone running for fuel? Will 17“ TRD wheels from a 4Runner fit over the brakes? Would like to run a slightly larger tire with some sidewall. Not thrilled with the 18’s. Love the ride and comfort the 460 has. Quite a difference from my 92 FJ80!
36E610F1-6218-4CD6-8990-9CA9538D1745.jpeg

With a bit of reluctance, I traded my 2003 GX470 for a 2011 GX460 Premium. I was very happy with the 470, I just wanted something newer and nicer. Found a one owner, dealer serviced 460 at my local Lexus dealer. The previous owner bought it there, serviced it there, and traded in for a new Lexus there. He did every recommended service needed. This will be my DD, so It will get a lot of use. I ran 87 octane in my 470 with no problems whatsoever. What’s everyone running for fuel? Will 17“ TRD wheels from a 4Runner fit over the brakes? Would like to run a slightly larger tire with some sidewall. Not thrilled with the 18’s. Love the ride and comfort the 460 has. Quite a difference from my 92 FJ80!

- Looks to be in great shape, nice find!
- Owners manual states 91 octane required for our 13 at least. I have read about many current 460 drivers using 87 with no ill effects though so... I use 91 because Costco is close, we tow a bit, I can feel a difference in performance, and I know most of the Toyota engineers are smarter than me:)
- 17” TRD wheels will fit over the brakes and look quite nice. 265/70/17 is about the biggest 17” tire to fit with stock lift with minimal rubbing.

Join GXOR on FaceBook if you Facebook. Check out lexusgxor.com for oodles of info. Clublexus is a slightly busier forum.

Enjoy the 460! They are easy to work on, quiet, reliable, and comfy!

Reactions: xlx
Thanks for the info. I’m running 91 octane until some convinces me otherwise. Just did a 200 trip and got 20 mpg on stock tires. I’m on the look for some TRD wheels now. I haven’t plunged into the Facebook thing yet. I know I’m missing out on some good info but probably missing out on a lot of unwanted BS...

nice find. What are your plans with it?

Some mild upgrades: 17” TRD wheels/BFG KO’s, Heavy duty shock when the time comes. As a daily driver I still want decent gas mileage. I still have my FJ 80 for hard wheeling and my FJC longer distance outings. Nothing crazy yet.

Very interested in this mod. Does it just plug in. My FJ Cruiser has crawl control but it must be the 3 speed version.

Regarding what type of fuel, I only use the expensive stuff, e.g. premium.
That's what is stated in the manual and I plan on keep this rig for a long time so might as well do it right.
With my setup (but without the roof top tent) my wife and I did a road trip from So. Cal to Austin Texas, back up to Lake Tahoe and home again averaging 18 mpg.
Here's a link to my rig: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build
As I mentioned, we did it without the tent on top, but with everything else and luggage.
I also use synthetic oil on all my 10,000 mile oil changes.

Nice buy, I think you'll enjoy the upgrade from the 470. I'm running Trail Edition wheels with 265/70/17 Wildpeaks on my 2010. I had to do a little heat gun work on the front plastic but no rubbing since. I use 87 gas but always top tier rated. I know there's a lot of debate over it but this 4.6 engine is basically identical to what's used in other Toyotas like the Tundra and Sequoia and they don't call for premium.

IMG_5129.jpg

Nice looking rig.Yes, the fuel debate will go on forever.
i’m thinking the 265 70 17’s also. It will be my daily driver.
I‘m on the look for some TRD PRO 17” wheels in black if anyone has a set.

Here’s the estimate I got from the Lexus dealer to get the crawl control installed.
They want $1200 for the computer, switch and install.
CBC6D8D0-C0E2-4E5E-BE9B-4AF32B9C95C3.jpeg

Wow! that dealer estimate is hilarious, I did the complete installation for about $400 with all new OEM parts.

Congrats on the 460. We use our 2019 for a daily as well. Ours is four months old and we are just a few miles away from rolling 8,000 on the ODO. We installed some 255/70/18 (32.1x10x18) Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels the day we brought it home, no lift. We use regular unleaded (87) with no ill effects and see 17-17.5 on the highway and 16 average in town. I had a 2011 GX460 than I ran regular unleaded in for three years and 60,000 miles with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom