Just bought a 99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker/learner. First time poster. Gonna use this thread to document the build. Hopefully add a little value to this amazing community you guys have built.

It’s a lifetime AZ vehicle. Basically one owner, maintained at Camelback and Showlow dealerships. CB tech knew the truck when they did presale inspect and said it’s been well maintained. I’ve been looking for about a year and this seemed the truck for us. We love kicking around in the dirt and rocks here in AZ and I just did two weeks driving the Baja down to the Cabo’s, stopping along the way. This’ll be the truck we use for that stuff not a DD. Though working from home mostly since pandemic so maybe it will be.

245k and it’s pretty clean. That tortoise shell stuff around the center console is peeling and suntorched and the flip lid on the cup holder is broken. Everything else is great.

I had CB Toyota do the timing/water pump, all fluids, and rear brakes. Basically just the maintenance the inspect called out.

First mod was deleting that hood visor. I don’t think the side steps will survive the night.
BEBCEC64-AB9D-4B6F-BC6A-0BBCDC1D3D6A.jpeg

Looks pretty clean from here ! Looks like patience paid off with a good find. What mods do you have planned ?

I think it was the right vehicle. I went the distance on two others and I’m glad they fell through.

Suspension, wheels and tires first I think.

I want to do some storage in the back. Bumpers prob. Roof rack. Sliders.

Any thoughts on order of stuff. Am heading up to flag for the expo to see what new cool stuff there is…

I think it was the right vehicle. I went the distance on two others and I’m glad they fell through.

Suspension, wheels and tires first I think.

I want to do some storage in the back. Bumpers prob. Roof rack. Sliders.

Any thoughts on order aue3d xof stuff. Am heading up to flag for the expo to see what new cool stuff there is…

Great find! :cool:

Just my 2 cents, but I'd do tires first. Stick with the factory 16" wheels and put on some 285/75/r16 of your choice. As you go up in wheel size, tire price increases as well. The tried and true 285/75r16 give you the most bang for your buck, IMO.

After that your set to do your next mod based on the type of travel/off roading you plan to do. I'd lean toward a bumper or suspension next with a slight edge toward bumper. Once you get your bumper on and start figuring out what sort of weight you'll be carrying you can select the right suspension.

**I'm running an ARB w/ winch on the stock suspension right now. The torsion bar just needed a few cranks to adjust for the weight. Rear coils are next for me to help handle the full load while camping**

Sliders after tires if you’re going to do more than Forest Service roads. Your lower rockers and wallet will thank you.

I’ve almost got the Dissent front bumper buttoned up. Sprang for the ComeUp winch but gonna wait on lights for now. I did stick some rigid reverse lights in the rear bumper to help with rear navigation. I’m tryna get stuck so I can use this thing.

Bought the Slee dual battery stuff with the Redarc DC-DC charger with solar hookup. Gonna run all the rear lights and outlets (there’s the rigids, two 3” amber LED lights for the step/outlet box one on each side of the rear bumper with dual usb and a 12v per side) plus a fridge line (8 AWG?) all in a single run to the house battery. Mount the Redarc next to house battery and run Redarc to starter battery. Sound right.

I got a new interstate battery but was planning on using the Autozone battery the truck came with for house battery. Thoughts?

When I get a mobile folding solar panel, (100w?) I’ll run that to the Redarc which has solar hookup. Camp off the house battery and the rear outlets while solar keeps house battery from dying.

I need the fuse kit, don’t I? Slee didn’t sell it but looking at Redarc website just now it sounds like wise investment.

I’ll get the wiring buttoned up and then taking the fam on first excursion.

There’s a 95L domestic on OfferUp rn. That’s not too big for shelving system is it? Shelving system is the plan.

Thanks in advance for any input/thoughts. You all have been do helpful thus far. Really appreciate it.

23AC4458-7834-4A82-B5FB-6593F4721784.jpeg

Hey Mate,

You will absolutely need a fuse kit of some sort between the BCDC and your batteries. We do offer them on our website, but whatever you chose we recommend midi style fuses. As for battery, what size and type of battery is it?

Bout to wire up fuse block to aux battery. Rear storage turned out nicely. Found this online, painted and mounted to the horizontal plate I got from MetalTech for the PS swing out.

Coming along.

6D2EC712-E090-4E31-8AE2-CBFE6AE4F464.jpeg

CA55CC0C-34AD-4C99-A3F7-286FEB23B93F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom