Just bought 1st Tacoma. Got some questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first Tacoma, got it this past Wednesday. Its a 5spd 127K Runs great.
reputation_pos.gif

01040301160601030820080303b89255d348d3f94a060084a0.jpg

Questions are:

1. The oil filter is there on the left side correct?
2. How many quarts of oil for the 2.7L? (it didn't have the owner's
manual in the glove box.)
3. I can hear a weird soft buzzing sound coming from a black box
behind the fuse box, WTF is that?
4. Spark plugs sit there on the top right of the engine, correct?
Are there no Plug wires? There is some long rod above them.
Are these a bitch to change? I'm just unfamiliar with Toyotas.
5. With 127k what are some other tune-ups I need to do other
than oil, air filter, plugs, etc.?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm just unfamiliar with toyotas, know little about mechanics and want to make sure I keep this machine in good shape.

MUD is an awesome resource from what i have seen from lurking around for the past several months. Any and all help, tips, input is welcomed and needed.

Thanks

1) the filter is on the pass side
2) 5.5-6 quarts
3) jap gremlins (every toyota has one somewhere) mine is in my 3rd gear.
4) yes, and kind of, and do not too hard. you have to remove the air duct, the airbox bolts are under the box and kind of a bitch to find your first time. use oem toyota plugs ONLY!!!!
5) get some M.A.F.S cleaner and clean your mas air sensor. It's prob dirty.
mine has 150,000 miles and I just burnt 2 in take valves so I ordered a new engine from LC it should be in monday. I live in vegas, if you want to learn about toyots you can swing by next week I'll have beer and toyota knowledge. all you need to bring is a willingness to learn (and help) pm me if you want to stop by
also checkout the local ttora they are cool and it's a good way to find out about some cool trails.

One other thing to check - timing belt.
If it has not been changed between 90 to 100K or so, it is time to change.
Nice truck there.
What are you planning to do with her?

Thanks for the input guys. My handle may be misleading. i don't live in the vegas area, I actually live in western NC, little two stop light town called Hayesville. Hayesvegas is the joke of the place, but thanks for the invite anyway.

Right now it's just a DD and farm duty truck.

couple more questions.

1. why only OEM plugs?
2. where is the mass air sensor and how do you clean it? (sorry if this info is somewhere else i just haven't checked yet)
3. looks like the plugs have individual coil packs on them. y/n? should these be replaced?

just scored a Valley class III tow hitch. My friends brother just totaled his Yoda.:doh:
..........Donor Truck:bounce:

couple more questions.

1. why only OEM plugs?
2. where is the mass air sensor and how do you clean it? (sorry if this info is somewhere else i just haven't checked yet)
3. looks like the plugs have individual coil packs on them. y/n? should these be replaced?

just scored a Valley class III tow hitch. My friends brother just totaled his Yoda.:doh:
..........Donor Truck:bounce:

1. Either NGK or Denso plugs, over the years those work the best. Just need long extensions to change, they're a ways down there.
2. The intake tube behind the air cleaner. Spray with electrical contact cleaner, found at Radio Shack or other places. For sensitive electrical components.
3. If you replace the wires, then yes, replace the igniter/coil packs if they haven't yet. You don't have to, but it wouldn't hurt if they're the original.

That weird buzzing noise is probably coming from the evap canister thingy. Sometimes if you mess with it when the truck is off, it will growl at you. Just check it to make sure all the rubber lines look okay, and one should run over to the intake.

Congrats on the find, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom