Just acquired a one-owner SEP 1979 FJ40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm interesting. My tank was full but the lines were dry. Posted on here and was told to prime the lines and she got gas to the carb right away.

D

Well I have to admit that the fuel pump probably still had fuel when the carb ran out but back when I had the fuel tank out I didn't have any trouble getting fuel to the carb when I put it back together. These old beasts will all act different though, especially that frankencruiser you're building. Love the approach you're taking. I'm somewhat of a purist but you are doing some seriously cool things there.

Ok. New fuel pump bolted in and fuel filter as well... Just not sure which is the sending line and which is the return... Just want to be sure. Even on the pump too....

Ok... Figured it out.

So, today put on new air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I did not prime the fuel lines. I had my seven year old star turning over the engine while watching the level of the clear coke bottle. I filled a small plastic coke bottle with fuel and ran the gaining fuel line down into it. The first iteration I could immediately see that fuel was being pulled from the bottle! So, I stopped him there and decided to speed things up by pouring a little gas directly down the carb. This fired the engine immediately and it continued to run pulling fuel from the bottle. I'll attempt to post a video. :)

This is only a small victory though. I'm almost certain that there's gas mixed in both the gas tank and it appears that way on the dipstick. I'm no mechanic, but I know that this isn't good. The engine runs so quietly with no smoke though?!?! :meh:

I'm calling it a day because I don't want to change the oil.... And I don't want to run fuel from that tank... Any theories?

The path from new filter through new pump to carb is good to go.... :smokin:

A bad fuel pump might be a blessing.... I did not want that crappy fuel making it to the carb.

Still not sure on the oil/fuel mixture????? :meh:

you can really smell the fuel in the oil if it needs to be change... this is not a "slight head of premium over 30w" smell, it's "this thing smells like it's filled with gas".

Small amounts of gas gets into the oil, it's normal and it's removed through normal PCV operation once the engine has been warmed up*. After all, the way they make gas is by heating crude up to vaporize the gas, then recondense the gas back into a liquid. What's left (depending on the layer in the stack after the crude has been cracked) is either diesel (lighter, top) motor oil (mid level), and bunker fuel (crap on the bottom).... or think of this the other way, you need a certain viscosity to lubricate the bearings - gas does not have this viscosity, but we routinely run 0w-10 in my race cars... so engines can survive for remarkably long times without a huge amount of viscosity.

*a couple other, unrelated points - oil that isn't milky white will, after the engine warms fully up, vaporize then evacuate the water leaving good oil behind... trick here is not to load the motor while the oil isn't up to its full viscosity (minus water). Also, if you're stuck after submerging a vehicle and fill the motor with water.... you can get the water out by either 1) letting it sit - oil rises to the top, pull the drain plug, and put it back in once oil starts coming out; or 2) if you don't want to wait a day or two for that to happen.. drain the mixture, heat it over a fire to evaporate the water and you're back on the trail (this also works with fluids in axles and manual transmissions.... atf, just run it - the water will come out).
and second - the worse thing you can do for a motor is start it, and shut it down repeatedly without fully warming it up... occasionally is fine, but starting a car simply to move it across the garage then shutting it down, then repeating that start/stop a few times will kill a motor faster than you might know.

Here is a video of it pulling fuel from my plastic coke bottle. I'm changing the oil and gas tomorrow. I think she sounds great. Stay tuned.

That sounds Great ! more pics of the inside Please and the smile on Leslie's face says it all. Awesome Awesome Awesome ! Your going to have a great time with this one. The best part is getting it running yourself you and the boys. if you need anything let me know

That sounds Great ! more pics of the inside Please and the smile on Leslie's face says it all. Awesome Awesome Awesome ! Your going to have a great time with this one. The best part is getting it running yourself you and the boys. if you need anything let me know
Thanks brother! I'll get more pics posted tomorrow.

Ok. Update; ive decided to pull the fuel tank from the truck so that i can properly clean out the sludge in the bottom. The truck runs too well for me to pump a bunch of crap into the carb and have even worse issues down the road.

Can someone please tell me how to remove a 79-83 gas tank?!?!?!?! I have everything disconnected; bolts, pins, and all lines. I cannot seem to get the tank out. It is close but, im either hitting the cross member, the frame, or the rear axle. Any ideas?!?!!!!!!! :bang: :bang::bang:

Anybody?????

After a few boiling 5 gallon pots of water, a large bottle of Dawn Ultra liquid soap and several rinses with a pressured water hose, my fuel tank is sludge free.
I'll hook everything back up tomorrow and hopefully be able to drive the truck for the first time.

Update: I was pleased with my gas tank so, I started buttoning things back up. I connected all soft lines to their corresponding hard lines. I did leave the hard line off leading to the carb. I turned the truck over and I was pleased to see clean fuel coming out of that hard line. New fuel pump obviously works. So, I hooked her up to the carb...... Turned the truck over... Nothing. Keep in mind, when I pour fuel directly into the carb, she runs great. I'm guessing the carb needs cleaning or a possible rebuild? Is there a sequence of things I should try to troubleshoot? Thanks in advanced.

Is any fuel at all getting to the float bowl? It's pretty easy to remove the top half of the carby and clean things out. On mine the needle valve at the fuel inlet was packed with crud, but she still ran fine at lower speeds.

Thanks.... And yes, nice hammer.

I continue to be stumped on the fuel situation. I tried tapping... Nothing. Then, I disconnected the hard fuel line and turned over the truck. No fuel came out. So, I poured gas into the carb, it fired right up and a little gas came spurting out.

Bottom line, fuel is not making it to the bowl. Now, I'm wearing out this new battery. Getting frustrated with this. :mad:

then you're down to two potential issues:
1) the fuel line from the tank is plugged (or the rubber line is collapsed)
2) the fuel pickup either isn't in the tank or the sock on the end of it is plugged.... frankly, I'd put air pressure on the from the tank - but pressurize it on the pump end (so it blows whatever the issue is back into the tank (or blows the sock off)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom