Joining the head gasket club.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update on my issues:

Pulled the plugs and didnt see anything totally out of the ordinary. Plugs have about 24k on them. I'll post pics when i get home from work.

Compression check while cold indictaed all cyls were right around 160, +/- 2 or 3 lbs.

Replaced plugs and wires with new OEM. Didnt have a borescope camera to look inside the cyls while they were open. May do that Sunday.

Replaced my suspect hose coming from the heater core t to the hard line toward the thermostat. New gates/napa yellow stripe and constant torque clamps. Did not tackle the other hoses around the heater valve and assemblies, nor the PHH bypass (have the extra hose and clamps for it).

Topped off with coolant, burped it, and have driven it for a week around town. I have a short drive to work and back, but ran errands and things to try to get the engine warm and burn off any condensation from the temp and humidity changes this week. Temps have never gotten above 200, averaged 190-194 tops (watching with the actron on the obd2 port). Truck runs well, idles well, no visible smoke out the tailpipe that I can see. Did the bubble test in the overflow and did not see any bubbles. I can repeat that test with my daughter at the throttle, so i can really get a good look in the tank

Checked coolant level this morning, and its low. :mad: Oil level on the dipstick appears to be a bit higher. No milkshake on the oil dipstick, but there was a bit on the oil cap. Bout the same amount as a good flu cough goober.(love the technical term :hillbilly:)

From reading searches, the oil cooler issue typically yields oil in the coolant, not coolant in the oil. I havent checked that yet. My radiator pressure tester didnt fit on the radiator, and i wasnt going to try to apply the level of force on the plastic top tank it would have taken to try to seal it.

So, are there any other easy/obvious/minor things to look at before admitting it's the HG? If i drop the oil cooler, what should i see if its good, or if its bad/leaking? Any risk of damage to the bearings and crank, or head by driving it a bit? I may pull the drain plug and capture a sample to send to blackstone, but I think it will only confirm what I'm dreading.

Pics of the spark plugs. Plugs had about 20-25k miles on them, with either seafoam or techron cleaner thru the fuel system several times. Took me a while to get the time to upload them to post.

cyls1-3top_zps5be87a69.jpg

cyls14-6topview_zps399cbed2.jpg

cyls1-3_zps5eeb6128.jpg
cyls4-6_zps660183cd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom