JDM HDJ81 Owners in USA...any regrets about your purchase?

scheme

SILVER Star
They mostly don’t seem to exist right now anywhere that isn’t BaT, but the non auction prices this past spring was around 45k for what I wanted.
Any chance you were looking at the grey HDJ81 manual that had 98000km and sold at a dealer for 6mil yen? If so, I'd recommend looking for cruisers at auction. That specific cruiser sold at USS Tokyo for 4.4mil and immediately went up for sale at a dealership a few days following for the much heftier pricetag.

what prices are you seeing for the 95-97 and what are the import costs these days?
For cruiser prices, depends on transmission and engine. You'll pay a premium for a 1hd-ft manual, but can get gas auto's in great condition for comparatively cheap.

For import costs, I'd say reasonable expectation would be anywhere from $4-6k (USD) depending on importer/broker fees, where you buy the vehicle (inland transport costs), how far you live from a port (if you need delivery), and auction house or dealership fees (prices vary)

Last edited:
Any chance you were looking at the grey HDJ81 manual that had 98000km and sold at a dealer for 6mil yen? If so, I'd recommend looking for cruisers at auction. That specific cruiser sold at USS Tokyo for 4.4mil and immediately went up for sale at auction a few days following for the much heftier pricetag. I was watching the same one, had a high bid of 4.5mil and my importer dropped the ball.

For cruiser prices, depends on transmission and engine. You'll pay a premium for a 1hd-ft manual, but can get gas auto's in great condition for comparatively cheap.

For import costs, I'd say reasonable expectation would be anywhere from $4-6k (USD) depending on importer/broker fees, where you buy the vehicle (inland transport costs), how far you live from a port (if you need delivery), and auction house or dealership fees (prices vary)
I was mostly casing the general market (such as I could find) in Jan-Mar of this year, so I couldn’t say which I had my eye on at the time. That’s good info for the future though, thanks!

20 mpg is impressive. What do you set the cruise control at on the hwy?

It doesn't have cruise control but I stick to around 2850RPMS, which is right around 70mph. Personally the gears seem a little deep to me, it has plenty of power to go faster but I don't like winding the motor up that high for long periods of time.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
As far as rhd driving, I bought mine and drove over 900 miles back home within 1 minutes of buying it. When you first start with rhd, you have a tendency to drive I'm the center of the road, with your body in the same location of the road as if you were driving lhd. The first near head on collision will correct that though ;)

You turn your wipers on when you try to signal turns.
After a week it's all irrelevant and drive through don't work but it's easy to just park and go inside.

I'd definitely do it again.

I had a 93 FZJ for 10 or 11 years and the HDJ is much more enjoyable to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom