Jammin' Transfer lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm still trying to fix the stuff that was working fine before I started the rebuild ::) It was down 8 months under covering but the frequent afternoon showers still put alot of moisture in the Florida air causing corrosion. The latest victim is the transfer case shift linkage. I sprayed them thoroughly with a lubricant but I couldn't get any grease in the single fitting.

The root cause of the problem seemed to be the shaft that goes into the side of the casing.It was rusty! I sprayed and tapped with a rubber mallet until I finally loosened it up enough to get the transfer case to engage. I then drove it up and down the drive going through all the gears and eventually worked it where I could move it by hand (without the mallet).

How is that shaft kept lubricated? Could this be a good sign to check/change the transfer case lube?

don't know how it's lubed, but i slightly overfilled my transfer case, and everytime i drove it for a week i had 90wt oil coming out of where that shaft is

Mine did exactly the same. In fact I kept a mallet in the Cruiser as standard equipment to get into and out of 4wd. The shaft is lubed by the transfer case oil, but if it has surface rust on it, trust me, it's easier to strip & clean than smacking it around all day.

There are 4 bolts holding the hole unit in place, take it off, undo the the selector fork bolt on the inside, and you can then slide the whole shaft out and give it a good clean. Whole job took about an hour, now I can use 2 fingers to slide it in & out of 4wd. Well worth the time.

Many thanks to you my African friend. I had no intentions of continueing shifting with a mallet. :p

i'm planning the removal of the shaft on my hj45, is there anything to it that i havent thought of, looks straight forward to me, but will i get coated in gearbox oil or run into any unseen snares that you could think of?

I did mine during a routine oil change, so I'm not too sure if your going to get a soaking? Probably if you put the right side wheels on blocks or a ramp, it shouldn't run out. The only pain was undoing all the linkages, if you have enough slack in them, you might get away with leaving them in place. I was too lazy and left the top floor cover plate on, so I worked from the bottom. Why do we always try to do things the hard way????

i'm probably going to do mine from underneath too, just looks easier that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom