It's The 3fe Engine A Great Engine ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hellow, i'm Miguel from Spain, i have a FJ 80 1992 year with 160.000 Milles and i am very happy with him.

Can you explain me his durability, confiability, how much milles can do in this engine with good manteniment, posibles Tranny Problems,

Thank's

Miguel:beer::beer::beer::beer:

The 3fe is the culmination of a line of engines first designed in the 1950's. It is the only engine in the line that is electronically controlled (atleast I would think the 1fz-fe out of the original F block lineage) - an advantage in the view of some, a disadvantage in the view of others. While it is commonly considered underpowered in an 80 series landcruiser (likely much of this opinion is a function of the A440F transmission and full time all wheel drive) it is a VERY durable and reliable engine. With proper maintenance, 300 000 miles wouldn't be out of the question.

The transmission (I am assuming it is the same A440F as in the FJ62) is often considered the weak link of the 62 and early 80 series Land Cruisers. The torque convertor isn't terribly efficient, and the valving can be improved on (have a look at the units and valve bodies from Wholesale Automatic Transmission in Australia for improvements). If taken care of, the A440F can go quite a long time before giving up the ghost, but commonly people run into trouble around 200 000 to 250 000 miles in the FJ62.
see: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=184676
The main cause of failure is overheating, and the installation of an aux. ATF cooler is a good idea. Hope this helps.

Curtis.

Thank you Curtis.

Miguel

I'm sure more will chime in, just my 2 cents as someone who has never been in an 80, but loves his 62.

I only have 262 000 km (162 000 miles) on my truck, but expect the engine (and hopefully tranny too) to outlast the body by a long shot (damn road salt).

Last edited:
Expect it to go at least 300,000 miles/500,000 km.

I've got 241,128.6 miles (388,058.8 km) on mine as of now, still running strong. (yes, I ran outside and looked:flipoff2:)

It's slow, but it runs, has plenty of low-end torque. Just keep it fed and watered and she love you LONG time. :D

EDIT: Yes, the trans is the same A440F out of the 62. Most US 80s came with aux tranny coolers, though.

Ditto on what lka1988 said; my 62 has more miles (didn't run out and look) and it uses less oil than my 80 with 240k+ miles; only about 1/2 quart in 4000 miles. As mentioned, underpowered, but will run all day. Ditto also on the A440F; I am on my second and it is bad (due to poor installation).

If I keep it stock, I may go with one of Rodneys (Australian) Extreme Transmissions next time due to the inherent problems with it (overheating, etc)

The 3FE engine is solid as a rock, but it likes gasoline (petrol) too much.

The 3FE engine is solid as a rock, but it likes gasoline (petrol) too much.

Unfortunately, that is the case with most gasoline cruisers. :crybaby:

Hello IKA1988 my FJ80 has 160,000 Miles, I have quite a day, mechanically, is a graet Toyota. I have changed in those 3 years that I have it, the alternator, radiator, sleeves, spark plugs, coolant fan assy (activated when engine stop), 2 batteries, battery support, air channeler, 8-9 oil changes and filters, 2 changes ATF's media, engine and tranny grease newspaper transmission, engine starter. I use exclusively for off road and travel to Morocco and Tunisia. I buy with 136,000 miles. I am very happy with the Toyota. It has a lot of strength, it is slow, but once it is launched. I have deleted the catalytic converter, took line exhaust amended, changed silent, small and empty, sounds very good, sounds like a lot.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Nice. I love my 80, too... Unfortunately, I can't delete the cats like you did, it's against federal law here in the United States :mad::mad:

One Picture Reciently

p1040416wm4.jpg

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Yes, i now, here in Spain with contacts no problems ( we pay some € ).

You like this picture ?

Put you a picture of your 80.

Miguel

picture is up

i put another

Lane, i'm going to sleep, here in Spain is 2:25 AM, i have to work tomorrow.

See you another day. If you go to page number 2, read my post PICTURES OF MY FJ 80 IN SPAIN. Yesterday i put a few of them.

Good night

Miguel

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom