It's always something. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll. It's been a while since I posted. I thought I was about ready to take my FJ40 to the muffler shop to get my exhaust from the headers back. I got her out of the shop, and had no brakes, then I noticed a coolant leak.
I don't know how many times I ran the Cruiser in the shop with water in the system after changing all the hoses before I added the liquid gold, and then again afterwards with no leaks. Then I get it out of the shop, and the radiator is leaking.:(
Well, I got the radiator issue resolved by buying a new one. $$$ Now I am pretty sure my brake booster has died. (RIP) And it's only 40 years old.;)
Looks like I am now in the market for a new booster. If I had unlimited resources I guess I would change out all the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc. Of course they are not 40 years old yet.
Anyway, I just thought I would post the latest since it has been so long since I've been here.

Time for 4-wheels discs and a booster/master upgrade! I love that my 40 actually stops when I want it to now.

I feel the same way about my FJ60. Its a never ending todo list, and daily driving it means I don't get to leave a project half done until later.

Which would you recommend?

That honesty depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I wanted to be one and done with anything related to brakes since I have small kiddos this was high on the importance list.

Front:
- Upgraded to FJ60 larger pattern knuckles (benefit of more common short bodied AISIN hub and larger fine spline birfield)
- 4-piston V6 calipers from a late 80s 4Runner

Back:
- Monte Carlo caliper and Disc. You can get the machine rotors and brackets from Poser here on the forum.

Master/Booster:
- FZJ80 AISIN master (non-ABS)
- Dual Diaphram booster from City Racer. Dual Diaphragm Disc Brake Booster for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ55 FJ60

You can take a look at my build thread and I try to document everything and I think I may have more part numbers and stuff there. - Justin

3B51EBAE-811A-4E07-B227-20C1643E37B9.jpeg
7B8CF344-0039-4C1C-BF62-54566406BEE1.jpeg
7272306A-D7F1-4EFC-B656-5AF9FADC3C10.jpeg

I got my brake issue resolved. I bought all new wheel cylinders, calipers, and stainless steel brake lines. Also got a rebuilt booster from Ebay. It was a success as she now stops like it was 1978.
Now I'm working on weather stripping the front doors. Cleaning all the old crap off, and repairing rust damage. I did the back doors a while back, but need to adjust them. I took the old screws out of the hinges, and replaced them with hex head bolts.
My next big project is to take the roof off, replace the headliner, and all the associated gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom