Issues - Throttle Body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Went out Monday morning to go to work and the 100 would start but not stay running. So I tried again and floored it as I started it. This time it continued to run however the CEL came on so off I go to the dealership. It is a throttle body problem. The part is $250 bucks. My vehicle has 81k miles. I am going to request to get the part back so I can take some pictures or take it apart or mail it to someone who knows what they are looking at.

I have already been through the throttle position sensor problem in October 2002 with 65k miles. This is where you are at stoplight (somewhere in traffic) and the 100 does not respond to throttle inputs. It will idle all day long but the truck does not move. Very scary in traffic. This new problem is not the same part. I asked because I was to abou to go postal on the service writer and then get on the phone with Toyota NA.

Also, Toyota certified warranty does not cover either part.

This is 2 more problems than I ever had with any of my 3 80 series.

I hope this not signs of things to come because I want to keep this 100 for awhile, 150k plus miles.

Anyone else had either of the above problems with their 100 or lx470?

Thanks,

Andrew

PS - Still love the truck but just can not stand bs problems. :D

Uzj100 put up the pics i am interested in the result. asside from the tps the only other part on the body is the motor assy , and unless the brush springs got loose they usually dont fail what was the eng code ?
at the dealer i see few problems on th lx side nothing to hold against it

That seems to be a somewhat common problem on that rig. They are actually replacing the throttle body? How about cleaning it? IMO it should be covered. Yell loudly and longly :).

Usually the body is quite a bit more than that price w labor
that $ is leaning to the air flow meter

Andrew,

I'm surprised those parts are not covered under the Toyota Certified vehicle extended warranty. It might be worth spending some time reading your agreement before you go back for vehicle pick up.

Are you running Toyota paper air filters?

-B-

They actually have a warranty company that they call for Toyota Certified and if it does not show up on there list then it is not covered. I am running a k&n filter.

You can go to www.toyota.com and see specifically what pieces are covered. All the big major pieces are covered, engine, transmission, axles, etc.

Andrew

>> Anyone else had either of the above problems with their 100 or lx470? <<

I have a 99 100 w/ 68k, no problems...keeping my fingers crossed as I also intend to keep it for many more miles.

-Matt

Andrew,
If you plan to appeal the warranty decision then ditch the K&N. IIRC, they are known to cause problems with the AFM due to oil contamination.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom