ISO Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm using my spare at the moment unfortunately...

I've read that the 2lt starter is the same , you just have to swap the nose cones, might widen your search area?

Assuming 12v?

Go here, don't buy used

Go here, don't buy used

Any idea what the part number is for the 12v 3B starter?

I'm using my spare at the moment unfortunately...

I've read that the 2lt starter is the same , you just have to swap the nose cones, might widen your search area?

Assuming 12v?
Ya 12v. I don’t mind swapping nose cones. Mine is still in good shape (it’s even painted to match the engine)

Ya 12v. I don’t mind swapping nose cones. Mine is still in good shape (it’s even painted to match the engine)
The other thing is that there's a couple different versions of them. Aluminum vs steel bellhousing noses are different.

so I had to do a bunch of farting around to get my spare to work.

Says unavailable, but might be worth a call? Possible it's not the diesel one too.

Anyone have a starter he can borrow if he ordered one from around the globe?

I’d loan you one of my 2 spare starters if they’d do you any good. But mine are from the dark side. ;)

BRAE lost their space but were one of the best in town.

MAC’s Auto Electric has solved many problems for me… including $300 for a new alternator that was $959 with no stock in North America.

Sounds like you have all the help you need already.

But…

Working on electric motors for a career, one can change a armature easily also. You say the rest of your starter is in good shape, the gear reduction and solenoid are good, all you need is the motor then, don’t wast your money buying the whole kit and caboodle.

Toyota starter motors and armatures are common to most Toyota starter assemblies of the same 2.5 kilowatt and we’re used in almost everything 12v Toyota of the 80’s. Two small bolts and hook the wires back up and your back in business!
C87B6896-7725-4261-9065-C5F127BF95FC.jpeg

You shouldn’t have any problems finding just the motor at an auto electronics repair shop or if your feeling adventurous a junk yard.

Last edited:
Anyone have a starter he can borrow if he ordered one from around the globe?

I’d loan you one of my 2 spare starters if they’d do you any good. But mine are from the dark side. ;)

BRAE lost their space but were one of the best in town.

MAC’s Auto Electric has solved many problems for me… including $300 for a new alternator that was $959 with no stock in North America.
I just got back from Mac’s auto. He’s a wizard. He managed to find a new one in Ontario but they are closed so he can call them till tomorrow.

But…

Working on electric motors for a career, one can change a armature easily also. You say the rest of your starter is in good shape, the gear reduction and solenoid are good, all you need is the motor then, don’t wast your money buying the whole kit and caboodle.

Toyota starter motors and armatures are common to most Toyota starters of the same 2.5 kilowatt and we’re used in almost everything 12v Toyota of the 80’s, even the common Corolla. Two small bolts and hook the wires back up and your back in business!
View attachment 2940493

You shouldn’t have any problems finding just the motor at an auto electronics repair shop or if your feeling adventurous a junk yard.

That's a good point I'll look into that.

But…

Toyota starter motors and armatures are common to most Toyota starter assemblies of the same 2.5 kilowatt and we’re used in almost everything 12v Toyota of the 80’s, even the common Corolla. Two small bolts and hook the wires back up and your back in business!
View attachment 2940493

Just talked with the guy and it looks like everything is toasted not just the armature. My mistake.

Does anyone have a part number for a 12v starter?

Just talked with the guy and it looks like everything is toasted not just the armature. My mistake.

Does anyone have a part number for a 12v starter?
There's lots of part numbers, because of the changes in the noses. This page shows a bunch of toyota p/n's if that's what you're after?

I don't know which variation you need, changes with the year of the 3b/5speed. Pretty sure it just comes down to aluminum vs steel bellhousing.

Last edited:
I have one, but I would only be looking into bj40 parts trades.

Macks auto electric was able to build one out of spare parts and salvageable components from my old one. We are roaded.

View attachment 2941719

He is getting to be my #1 problem solver for Auto Electric parts. His knowledge of starters is very extensive. When I walked in with a starter issue for my 40 engine conversion, he knew the solution off the top of his head, and had the needed nose cone in stock. :D 15 minutes later I had the custom built starter I needed.

Surprisingly, 15 years later he remembered having helped with my truck. Sure beats any parts jockey at the parts store… as do his prices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom