ISO: No Head Unit Ham Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used to have a CB that had the radio itself in a body that could be mounted anywhere, then the controls were in the mic. I’m looking for a similar setup for HAM and thus far have struck out. I don’t have a good place to mount a faceplate and I use it so infrequently I’d prefer the ability to put it away completely out of sight. Anyone know of such a unit?

I am currently using an Icom IC-2730 that has a detached control and a Mic with keypad. Its a VHF/UHF radio, I'm not sure if that is what you are interested in. I can have the control anywhere I can see it and the Mic can plug into the radio or the control.

Larry in El Paso, TX

The closest thing to that I saw was a Motorola system installed in a government vehicle and that was a few years ago.

Larry in El Paso, TX

This is what I use for 2-Meter-HAM: Yaesu FT-2980R
It does have most important controls away from the fan-less (really heavy duty unit) so I just put it behind my center console.

@sArgeCH, the radio control he was referencing had the channel readout on the mic.

Larry in El Paso, TX

I don't think there is one in the ham world like you are asking about, where all the controls are in the mic, there are some with a remote faceplate and the body of the radio mounts wherever

The main issue with Ham is that it is not channel based. Most units do allow you to have memory channels that are associated with frequency's or repeaters. Most allow you to page up and down on the mic but do not have a display on what memory you are on.

The only radios I can think of that have controls on the mic, other than CB units, are GMRS units.

The closest you can get, is a remote faceplate unit. You mount the main body of the unit hidden and out of the way, and only need to figure out where to mount the faceplate and mic.

I'm running an Icom 2730 as well, one of the only analog VHF/UHF detachable units in the market. It was also the only one that came detached from factory. Contrary to every other manufacturer, Icom offers the 2730 detached and you need to purchase an additional kit if you wish to attach it to the main body.

Kenwood, Yaesu both have a few good options as well, you just have to figure out what features you need. I decided on the 2730 mainly because I need no alternate bands or digital capabilites. Yaesu's detachable-faceplate units are either quad band units or digital units, no analog. The Kenwood V71 is similar to the 2730 but it is more expensive and I don't need echolink capabilities, also I believe you need to purchase a kit in order to detach the faceplate.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I appreciate all the advice, even though what I’m looking doesn’t exist apparently.

I saw a listing for a 40 for sale that had a CB with Cobra Mic that had a small display. Maybe this is what you were thinking about.

Larry in El Paso, TX

Another choice would be a small HT like the FT-4XR. The whole radio is about the size of the Cobra Mic. If you want more than 5W out you could add a LA-44 amplifier that will get you 70W out.

As far as I know, there is nothing out there with a display on the Mic. Ham displays are a little more complicated than a CB channel display.

I would second the comment about using an HT. Many of the Yaesu's are super small. You could compensate for power with an external Antenna and possibly an amp if the need were there.

Plus you can grab it and go when on foot.

Many ham radios have removable front plate and regular mic, or removable face plate and a controls mic. And there are many with controls on the mic. Like hte Icom Titan mic for the ic-2300 and others. Just search for it, plenty out there. But I have never seen of one with the screen on the mic, just controls.

Amazon product ASIN B01HG3V3KE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom