Is this normal......I think not!! 60 T/Case Oil Clean, no swarf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

my previous post was in 40s area as that's what I have bt it seems it has a 60 Transfer case - can anyone please advise if this noise (please see video) is normal?

Also at the wear shown in photos........it makes a terrible rattle at certain revs (no speed) and this looks like the area of concern

Finally, I cant see any identification number on it to specify exactly which model it is.......strange?

Thanks so much as always!

Dan

gpxonqG8StqyWaHy+ccuIg.jpg

JCKSCp6ZRCOGXGe0IecdqQ.jpg

gNs5qeiASdCP9U8vyCRF7Q.jpg

UrTyVCKnQbq3O42kgE58XA.jpg

It’s a split case which could be stock depending on the year of your ‘40. Build date is stamped near the PTO cover plate. Search for info on dating it. Measure the idler shaft that is visible from the back of the case. Early were 34mm later were 38mm.

Those synchro rings are toasted. Possibly from riding halfway in gear? Or popping out? @orangefj45 can give you more info.

Thanks Joel - much appreciated - not sure how to contact you via @ technique - 'scuse my ignorance but did click follow on your insta - It looks like something has been moving up and down the shaft unfettered yes? I've had a very frustrating journey with this as it only seems to have happened since an expensive engine change - any advice/help really very gratefully received - thanks again Dan

There's two different FJ60 transfer cases. They're very similar but have minor differences. The larger idler shaft belongs to the newer version.
The output shaft cluster should be tight. It should be taken apart & inspected. It's time for a rebuild anyway, so taking it all apart and identifying worn parts is par for rhe course

Here's the drawing for both. They both reference the same drawing.
image.png

ok thats great, I have 34mm idler shaft so early one I guess..... nightmare getting bits here in uk without robbing a bank..... groan! Thanks Biggly!

You might be better off buying a new T'case. Often not much more than having to source/buy many bits.

You are in UK?

@dieselbj42

Thanks Joel - much appreciated - not sure how to contact you via @ technique - 'scuse my ignorance but did click follow on your insta - It looks like something has been moving up and down the shaft unfettered yes? I've had a very frustrating journey with this as it only seems to have happened since an expensive engine change - any advice/help really very gratefully received - thanks again Dan
Not my tag but Georg Esterer’s of valley hybrids. It just notifies them that they’ve been mentioned in a post and can come take a look. Just like @Spike Strip did for dieselbj42.
Your case would have been built April of 82 I believe based on the stamp.

Can I fit a 40 T/Case with an E-Brake - Mine is a 60 T/Case with no E-Brake - there is one available but dont want to go from bad to worse - thanks

What year is your ‘40? As I said above your split case may be stock. It was used on late 40 series, 60 and 70 series. The split case has a different bolt pattern at the transmission than the earlier one-piece cases. If you wanted to switch to an earlier case you’d have to switch transmissions with it.

What year is your ‘40? As I said above your split case may be stock. It was used on late 40 series, 60 and 70 series. The split case has a different bolt pattern at the transmission than the earlier one-piece cases. If you wanted to switch to an earlier case you’d have to switch transmissions with it.
Thanks for that advice! Phew!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom