Is this "carburetor cooling fan" essential for proper engine performance?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The shop restoring my '85 FJ60 says this cooling fan (Toyota part 16360-61015) is not needed. The motor has been de-smogged. I'm not sure if the fan was working before the engine was dismantled but it looks important to me. Maybe it's like the oil cooler (nice to be functioning but not necessarily needed). I would like those in the know to chime in here with an opinion or two. If if matters, I live in cool central valley of Costa Rica, temps low 60's to mid 70's. However a trip to the beach would put me well into the 80's. Thanks in advance for your input!!
Screenshot (90).png

The shop restoring my '85 FJ60 says this cooling fan (Toyota part 16360-61015) is not needed. The motor has been de-smogged. I'm not sure if the fan was working before the engine was dismantled but it looks important to me. Maybe it's like the oil cooler (nice to be functioning but not necessarily needed). I would like those in the know to chime in here with an opinion or two. If if matters, I live in cool central valley of Costa Rica, temps low 60's to mid 70's. However a trip to the beach would put me well into the 80's. Thanks in advance for your input!!
View attachment 2751738
That keeps the carburetor cool. It’s not for oil. It kicks on for about 20 minutes when the engine shuts off to prevent fuel from evaporating from the carb bowl. True, it isn’t necessary, but it will help avoid problems in the future. If it works, have them reinstall it and keep it.

I should add, the engine bay soaks heat after the engine shuts off. The coolant isn’t flowing so it will get very hot under the hood. That’s normal function. The cooling fan is more to help with this rather than the ambient temperature of the air around you.

I dont think it was every really for smog? I could be completely wrong. I like mine there, I think its cool. ditto on everything @cps432 said

I have one in my FJ62 (not carbureted) and to my knowledge it's never clicked on, even on the hottest of days. I suppose I should check the wiring or test the fan.

The carburetor/manifold fan was only made available on 60 series that had catalytic converters. Non USA 60s with the 3F carbed engine and no smog equipment (cat) don't have that fan.
The cat heats up the exhaust pipe to solar coronal mass ejection temperatures which migrates up the pipe to the exhaust manifold and carb.
Even without a catalytic converter installed, starting the engine when it's hot is a trickier exercise when the carb fan isn't working.

New fans are no longer available, but you can find used ones without too much trouble. I'd install one if you can get it.

(The FJ62 fan almost never turns on. The FJ60 fan always turns on).

It's purpose is to prevent vapor lock in the carb. The 2F will run fine without it, but it will make hot starts easier in hot climates.

It makes a huge difference on hot starts. Even if it runs every time you turn off the key because it's wired directly to ground, it won't drain your battery or cause any problems.

In temperate areas, desmoged, you prolly don't need it. Replacement fans of the four seasons brand are available on ebay.

You could have them put louvers in the hood, like the FJ40s to vent the heat. Then you definitely won't need. Also will depend on the quality of Costa Rican gasoline.

Like was already stated, not for smog. The short explanation is it's there to prevent vapor lock in the carb.

Why the 62s have them I have no clue. Mine's been disconnected as long as I've have the truck. Still have the fan. Considering ducting it to act as an outside air cooling fan for the alternator to offer some heat protection for the rectifier (diode pack).

Last edited:
In temperate areas, desmoged, you prolly don't need it. Replacement fans of the four seasons brand are available on ebay.

You could have them put louvers in the hood, like the FJ40s to vent the heat. Then you definitely won't need. Also will depend on the quality of Costa Rican gasoline.
Before the restoration I never had an overheating problem but was never aware if the fan was working or not. Still, I think it best to keep it attached if it actually does work.

It's purpose is to prevent vapor lock in the carb. The 2F will run fine without it, but it will make hot starts easier in hot climates.
Yes, when I had the shop guy position it as it should be its outflow pointed directly at the carb. I-m gonna keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom