Is this a bad omen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took delivery of a 2020 LC. The car was purchased from a Toyota dealer in OH. I found it on Cars.com. Good price and very low miles (4950 mi). I went thru the interior and exterior condition in excruciating detail with the salesperson. Copious photos and video. I could not see any damage to any body panels anywhere. That said I did not see the car in person.

I had the car shipped via uncovered transport. The shipper came highly recommended by the Toyota dealer where I purchased the car.

So when the car gets here I do a walk around while it is still on the trailer. I noticed a dinger on the passenger side rear bumper cover. The dinger looks like someone ran a shopping cat into the bumper cover. It is not the end of the world, but I am neurotic about the condition of my vehicles. I asked the driver how many times the car was on and off his trailer. He said he had to take it off one other time before delivery. These guys like big parking lots, shopping centers, Home Depots, Walmarts...lots of shopping carts around...

I reviewed the bill of laden from the shipper and cannot see the damage. They say that there is glare in the photo at location of the damage. (now, how is this my fault?)

Now I am getting stiffed by the shipper. They won't even take or return my calls. Dealer says it was perfect when it left the dealership.

I know this is a crappy way to introduce myself, but I am just bummed out. Crap!

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

64012478886__DD91DF9B-CCE6-465C-AFCC-A5F4ECB8B107.JPG

Was there not a paper manifest showing defects that accompanied the vehicle? I've had my LC shipped a number of times now and every time there is a document that lists any defects with a drawing of where the defect is.

Was there not a paper manifest showing defects that accompanied the vehicle? I've had my LC shipped a number of times now and every time there is a document that lists any defects with a drawing of where the defect is.
They documented the condition with photos. They say there is glare in their photo at the location of the damage. I'm not sure why that ends up being my problem.

It is a bad omen. You need to unload that thing quick. I will take it off your hands with very little effort on your part.

Seriously though, it does stink and I feel your pain, but chalk it up to sh*t happens and put a little touchup paint on it and enjoy the best vehicle you'll ever own. It probably wont be the last little blemish it gets that no one but you will notice.

Get the truck out on trail. Get some tree pinstripes. Forget about that ding.

I feel your pain. I was buying a very used LX when I transported, so a couple more pits in the front hood or a bumper scrape from transport damage wouldn't be as big a deal. I also planned to build it, so I knew the bumpers (for example) were placeholders. For a nearly new ride though, it sucks.

The only way to really guarantee good shape with a transport is to plump for enclosed shipping. Triples the cost of the ride though.

This custom rear bumper treatment only cost $200 entry fee at LCDC. Makes worrying about dings go away.

3E97AEBE-073C-40E2-BD10-EC1D861EE0D6.jpeg

From the pictures you posted you can’t safely drive around with that bumper... full replacement with dual swing outs is the only way to really handle this.

for real tho, I’d be mad as a hornet. Especially if this wasn’t noted on the shipping paperwork. The times I’ve shipped a car the person who picks it up has gone over it and marked everything down so when it gets delivered and the paperwork doesn’t match up with any new damage the driver is on the hook.

Good luck.

Not a bad omen, but an unfortunate incidence and bad faith on the part of the shipper. Shame on them for not stepping up. Let the dealer and the shipper know how poorly the shipper treated you. Get it fixed, send the bill to the shipper, and move on. Enjoy that wonderful LC!

If the dealer arranged the transport it’s on them to go after the shipper and you should be compensated by the dealer.

If the dealer recommended the shipper then the dealer should contact the shipper and say make it right or we won’t send you more of our business. You just spent 80k at their dealership and bought the most expensive Toyota line barring the heritage. You should list the dealer and shipper on the forum and send them a copy.

if you arranged and paid for shipping I’d use every means in my power to continue to contact the shipper about this issue. Put the name and contact number on the forum as a beware of this company thread and print and send them a copy of your posts. The credit card suggestion is a good one.

I get the let it go cuz it’s a truck but that misses the principal of the issue and starts what should be a joyous beginning of ownership on a sour note. I for one would not let that slide.

and I would definitely spend any compensation you get on modding the truck.

A good detail shop that does paint correction can fix that up for next to nothing. On this type of small stuff they can make it look as good as a respray. I wouldn’t waste the time and frustration to track down compensation on this from the shipper or dealer. The shipper’s profit is likely not much and most dealers begrudge covering a wash after service. A cash rebate from a dealer who will never see you again is not going to happen. Anyone who says “I’d go back to the dealer”, while well intentioned, does not have to make the calls, spend time on hold, wait for someone to call you back who never does, and in general wastes your time. (Indeed by your post you’ve already invested a fair amount of time without any effect). For the dealer it would be a $50 repair in their own body shop. Understand that’s your best possible outcome as you sit on hold waiting to speak to the GM. It will never end. Dealer will blame shipper, shipper will blame dealer.

I agree. The shipper is responsible. That said, would you rather spend $1000 chasing them around to get them to pay or just spend the $1000 to get it fixed? Leave them a terrible review and let it go.
They finally agreed and are doing the right thing. They won't get a good review but it will be accurate.

It is a bad omen. You need to unload that thing quick. I will take it off your hands with very little effort on your part.

Seriously though, it does stink and I feel your pain, but chalk it up to sh*t happens and put a little touchup paint on it and enjoy the best vehicle you'll ever own. It probably wont be the last little blemish it gets that no one but you will notice.
Stuff does happen. Thank you for the kind words. I will get it repaired and move on.

From the pictures you posted you can’t safely drive around with that bumper... full replacement with dual swing outs is the only way to really handle this.

for real tho, I’d be mad as a hornet. Especially if this wasn’t noted on the shipping paperwork. The times I’ve shipped a car the person who picks it up has gone over it and marked everything down so when it gets delivered and the paperwork doesn’t match up with any new damage the driver is on the hook.

Good luck.

They are going to pay but won't acknowledge how it happened. Thank you for your kind wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom