Is it worth it? Turbo diesel japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just bought me 1991 landcruiser from jAPAN. it's a 4.2 turbo Diesel.

AFAIK the oil filter will probably be a 90915-30002

I got my cruiser from Outback too. They provided all the service and support I needed to drive her 2500 km home up the Alcan. They gladly answered any technical questions that came up.

The oil filter is the same as an 85 BJ60 which were imported into Canada. Any parts shop has them.
The same cross-ref for a lot of other parts you may need.

It's the same oil filter as Ford trucks. I use Purolator L30001 [$4] or PL30001 [$8]. Most lube change places will do your truck if you bring the filter and oil.

The 3B, 2F, and 3F all take that PH8A sized filter (Toyota part 15600-41010) which crosses to the Purolator L30001. Although I read a post indicating that it fits the 1HD-T 4.2 turbo diesel in the 1991 HDJ81; I've also read posts that it doesn't. I haven't tried myself, but I'm convinced that it is not correct for the 1HD-T.

I can confirm that 90915-30002 fits my 1990 1HD-T.

-Steve

the 90915-30002 is VERY different from the standard PER1A/PH8A/17-1704-2 filter used by the BJ60 series. VERY different as in much wider, heavier and of different constuction (dual element versus single elment). Plus the screw-in size is larger as well. Only the 90915-30002 fits the 1HD-T.

PS no problems starting in winter unplugged even at -30C... Never got to install my rad hose heater!!!

Both my 81 and the next door neighbors 81 do not act like yours in the winter so I have to ask if your glowplug system is all stock or is there a "Wilson" switch in there and/or a unplugged temp sensor?

a proper running 1HZ, 1PZ, HDT will start to -30C without being plugged in. poor glow, poor compression will hamper this...

a proper running 1HZ, 1PZ, HDT will start to -30C without being plugged in. poor glow, poor compression will hamper this...

How long are you guys letting the glow plugs work prior to starting? The light goes out after 5-8 seconds but I will let it sit for about 20 seconds prior to starting.

Both my 81 and the next door neighbors 81 do not act like yours in the winter so I have to ask if your glowplug system is all stock or is there a "Wilson" switch in there and/or a unplugged temp sensor?

The 1HD-T is a completely different beast. It basically starts like a gasser! Insert key, turn and release...

When it gets really cold, like at -30C, you will need to hold it for 2 or 3 seconds while staring, and the glow plug will light for a few seconds more a swell. But it is still VASTLY different from the way the 3B starts. No comparison!

Try Mustang Connection in Armstrong for your filters and other parts and manuals: http://www.mustang.bc.ca/. They are pretty close to you. I recommend that you invest in a shop manual. You will find that Lordco also can get you light bulbs, relays, etc at prices probably far cheaper than Toyota. Even if you don't have an account with Lordco, always ask for the account price and they will give you a decent deal.

Don't know much about your motor. However, if your glow plugs are working fine, it should start no problem after the glow light has gone off. Leaving the key longer in the glow position will not give it any extra glow, as the relay is timed.

I also recommend you do your own oil changes. I don't trust the quick change places. I have had too many instances of them over torquing the drain plug or not getting the filter to seat. By-pass filters are great inventions and will keep your engine young. My truck has twin filters - a regular $12.00 filter and a $40+ by-pass fliter. If you want to delay your oil changes, then get your oil analyzed at 5,000 kms. If it is still good, you might be able to extend the changes. Personally, I do it by the book at 5,000 kms. Also, I recommend the Seafoam oil and fuel system cleaning. Crushers has a number of posts on how well it works. It really cleaned all the **** out of my motor and sump. I did not do the fuel system cleaning, as I put in new injectors and the injector pumop was rebuilt. I do not recommend using cheaper Japanese aftermarket filters. I had tried them last year to save a few bucks. At the same time I had a problem with disappearing oil only to find oil dripping at the rear of the engine. With the Safari, once the filters are on, you can not see if they have seated properly. I feared it was a main seal, as I was always careful to make sure the the gaskets were oiled and the plates were clean. After the second oil change I switched back to the factory filters and my oil leak was gone. :) You could also consider other name brand industrial grade filters like Cummin's Fleetguard. As also stated, buy good quality diesel oil. I am running Delo 400 and am quite pleased with it. It isn't cheap but it is the only oil which I found with the JASO certification - certified for the special needs of Japanese diesels.

Last word, get yourself a large diameter and large volume oil drop pan. My truck holds about 12 L of oil and I use a 16 L open face pan. The first time I dropped oil into my smaller pan it shot all over the place. :grinpimp: It had one of those 12" pie plate funnels which screws into the drop pan tank.

only buy manuals that are factory service manuals, those crap from Oz are just that...a waste of money...

only buy manuals that are factory service manuals, those **** from Oz are just that...a waste of money...

Do you carry the factory body and chassis manual Wayne? A factory engine manual was purchased the day after the truck but Dan at 4wheel does not have a body and chassis manual.

A factory engine manual was purchased the day after the truck but Dan at 4wheel does not have a body and chassis manual.

If you are having problems getting a proper Toyota shop manual you can get a Gregorys manual from the Pitstop Bookshop (Australia) in about 2 weeks. They are IMO a lot better than the Haynes but don't match the manufacture's manual for detail. http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/home/

Also, you can try e-bay australia for the Toyota manual and parts catalogue on CDs or keep your eye out for a used printed manual.

Hi. Just bought me 1991 landcruiser from jAPAN. it's a 4.2 turbo Diesel. 120000km for 20 000$cdn. lOVE IT. But as a complete newbe to the concept of import vehicles I wonder if it was a good deal and what I can expect as far as parts and repairs etc go. Already I was surprised when they wouldn't change my oil at Mr.Lube. I had to go looking for an oil filter and by the concerned faces of various sales clerks and mechanics I surmise that I may have made a mistake buying the car. Just the fact that you have to pay 40$ for an oil filter is enough to make you wonder what the long term is going to look like.
Any thoughts?

Supporting your local business's that are carrying product on the shelf for your Cruiser (JDM or otherwise) is a good thing (as is supporting C-Dan, Slee, and Spector, and a host of others in the USA). This lays more insurance people will likely be around and able to assist you in your time of need.

Seeing as the thread starter is in Canada, what this thread needs is a made in Canada solution of listings. I know there are more, however the ones I can think of off the top of my head in no particular order are:

http://4wheelauto.com/ Edmonton
http://www.ateb.ca/ Burnaby
http://www.mustang.bc.ca/ Vernon
http://www.extremebends.com/ Coquitlam

Some of those listed above also wrench on Cruisers.

http://www.raddcruisers.ca/1024.htm Vancouver Island (dunno how much for new parts, but in a new shop and working on conversions, etc)

In addition to the above for parts there are others who are excellent wrench's on Cruisers, are plugged into the parts community, don't have a web presence, AND are getting to know the JDM's inside and out.

Ciaran Wilson of Cruiserland Langley
Rob Milson of LCI Vancouver area

Tony at http://alltoy4wd.com/home.html in Kamloops has JDM experience.

I know Crushers has talked about another outfit in Alberta that know Cruisers and JDMs...

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Don't sweat the initial insecurities too much. It's just the fear that comes upon you when you realize that you don't have a dealer to rely on for parts and service. The 1HD-T 80 is a great vehicle with amazing strength and durability. It doesn't even feel like a deisel what with the one click starts and how quiet the engine is when you drive with the window up.

What will bother you is the learning curve you have to go through getting to know your 80 and what it truly needs. Frankly, it isn't much that the vehicle needs other than good batteries and very regular changes of fluids and filters, including the air filter. Once you get all the needed repairs done. the 80 becomes a very boring vehicle and you need the mods to satisfy your need to treat it nice. Have a good time with your 80.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom