Is it much trouble to remove and reatatch hood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of removing my hood to paint it rather than tape it off, but was wondering if anyone had done so and had any advice. (If it is a big hassle I'll just tape it off to paint.) It looks simple - but sometimes things are more difficult than they appear!

(Make that "...reattach....") oops

Thanks,
Gil

From having replaced my hood struts, I can attest to the fact the hood is HEAVY. It might be hard to realign it too. Tape off to paint and leave the beast in place.

Took off the hood on my 80 to black out the center section. Easy 2 person job. Don't know about your truck, mine had enough wear on the paint around the hinges vs. under the hinge to be able to see exactly where to replace them.

From having replaced my hood struts, I can attest to the fact the hood is HEAVY. It might be hard to realign it too. Tape off to paint and leave the beast in place.

Thanks everyone, I think I will leave in place.
Gil

Impossible (okay, not impossible) solo
Manageable with two people
Piece of cake with three people

Impossible (okay, not impossible) solo
Manageable with two people
Piece of cake with three people

Well said. My girlfriend and I changed mine out at a junk yard in less than an hour. 4 bolts and a couple of washer hoses. Should be even easier without front end damage.

Easy as...
If in a garage, suspend front end from ceiling in string. Grab 2 x shop rag to put under rear corners and undo 4 x bolt. Get child/wife/gf/passer-by to help lift off. Have a place to put it down ready first.

It's so fast that you save time if doing any work under there, because of accessibility, except at the very front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom