Is carb base heat shield really needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here in in El Paso it gets pretty hot in the summer. Will removing the carb heat shield on my '78 really affect it's driveability when it gets hot outside? Wondering because it makes me think that the heat just gets trapped underneath longer than it has to and I am seeing that on another thread, "Found an Arabian FJ40", the heat shield is not there. Also, my carb cooling fan is in working order.

Thanks in advance.

Here in in El Paso it gets pretty hot in the summer. Will removing the carb heat shield on my '78 really affect it's driveability when it gets hot outside? Wondering because it makes me think that the heat just gets trapped underneath longer than it has to and I am seeing that on another thread, "Found an Arabian FJ40", the heat shield is not there. Also, my carb cooling fan is in working order.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't insulate your carb from all that heat, it may affect the longevity of the gaskets in the carb. The fuel in the carb bowl will likely be at a higher temperature. I can't see how removing the insulator can be a good idea.

Last edited:
If you don't insulate your carb from all that heat, it may affect the longevity of the gaskets in the carb. The fuel in the carb bowl will likely be at a higher temperature. I can't see how removing the insulator can be a good idea.
X-2--I do have a Weber installed, but here in SW Fla. The fuel would boil out of the float bowl everytime I stopped for a store/fuel/etc. Rebuilt an OEM Aisan for the rig, but after head replacement and Headers installed, the heat issue seems to have gone away-Haven't installed the OEM carb or heat shield yet--truck is still running well.---kinda like "don't trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom